StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, hi! I have a DR650, and a Vulcan 900 Classic LT. I have realized that I need to park these bikes on top of each other and hopefully their offspring will be something that I can ride on the highway, back roads, dirt roads, easy trails, do some camping...plus put my wife on the back and spend a day rolling with a few cruiser friends of ours.
Having two bikes is great, except that I don't have space for two bikes, it's twice the repairs and maintenance, and double the insurance (2 bikes = $1000/year).
I need 'one bike to do it all'....

I know it's hard to dole out advice, but I'm looking for opinions between 2 V-Stroms and looking to see which way experienced owners would lean...

Bike 1: New leftover 2017 base model 650. But does come with the plastic Suzuki hard cases.
Bike 2: Gently used 2016 with 28000kms. XT model, plus has center stand and aluminum top box, hard cases (all Suzuki), plus all the other XT goodies.

Bike 2 looks clean, and if I had to guess, I wouldn't imagine the sort of person that would shell out for OEM panniers and mounting kits and stuff would be the type to thrash their bike. But, who knows....?

I camp off the DR with a top box and soft bags, so would be looking to outfit whatever I get with luggage...and I'd often use it for fishing, so it would be left unattended while I fish a section of the river and hike back. Aluminum cases make me feel slightly safer than leaving valuables in plastic cases. But we all know, if someone wants something bad enough, they'll smash something apart to get it.

Assuming the price is the same on both.....Would you say go with the XT that's all kitted out and ignore the 28000 on the clock.......?
Or would you go for the 2017 that's brand new, and make the best of the plastic panniers and add your own top case, center stand, engine protection, handguards, etc etc etc.....

Just for fun, I priced out the aluminum cases, top box, mounting hardware, touring windshield, handguards, lower cowl, engine protection....and all the other things the XT has over the base model, from the Suzuki website (at Canadian prices) and I ended up at around $4900 (after sales tax).

The 2017 has traction control, the new more slippery pistons, like one more hp, the nicer dash.... Those are all plusses.
I won't be riding hard enough to care about spoked wheels vs cast...and they're both tubeless so that's not a concern.

28000kms (17400 miles).....is that 'just broken in' or 3/4 of the way to a top end?

If you're bored, toss some thoughts at me.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You can confidently ignore 28,000km on the bike. These regularly go over 100,000km. I'd be going with the fully kitted out bike.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Where are you located? My brother has a 2018 650 XT with 2,000 KM he's looking to sell. Has the Shad luggage and some other goodies.

I started doing a lot of fishing off my bike last year, really enjoyed combining the 2 hobbies!

28,000km is just broken in, you should get 200,000. However at 24,000 a major service was due (valves, air filters, plugs, etc) I'd make sure that was all done.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback folks. Keep it coming.
Looking like the farkles are winning over the 28000kms....sort of what I was thinking..

Thanks for the head's up on the service!
tenny80.....Located in New Brunswick

·
Registered
164 Posts
OMG, $1K/year for 2 bike insurance in Canada??!!!
I pay $92 / year for a slightly better than the cheesiest Progressive Ins. policy in upstate NY (I'ma middle aged guy, clean driving record)
Is crazy high motorcycle insurance cost a "thing" in Canada? Never heard about this. Daughter wants to move to Quebec.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got my learners when I was 47, bought a used TW200. The lowest price I could find anywhere was $1325. I have a clean record, no tickets, nothing. My own car/house insurance company wanted $1500, and I've been with them for 30 years. Also, this is bare coverage, no collision. Someone told me about TD insurance, so I did an online quote and it was around $600. I called to see what the catch was...there wasn't one...they insure a lot of bikes, and they said I'm 47, clean record, with a 200cc bike..why punish ME for the hi risk groups....
Important to note that it varies wildly by province. Some are gov't regulated....the people in those provinces complain because it's a monopoly and you have to pay whatever they charge. My province is private, and that ends up allowing them to be even more crooked than the gov't, as long as they all agree to gouge us equally.
Lived in NB and owned a rotted out car the the dealer only took on trade because it was a good customer..worth about $1500. I had the bare minimum coverage to be road-legal in New Brunswick. Drove it to British Columbia where it's a provincial 'monopoly', bought a brand new Honda Civic and put full coverage on it. Cost LESS than what I was paying for my $1500 piece of crap in NB.

Anyway, let's not turn it into an insurance thread...but yes....it's crazy high for recently licensed riders.....drivers as well. Most kids pay more for insurance than their car when they start driving.
I keep telling myself that my bike rates will go down after I have 5 years riding in or something....people that have had their bike license for a long time seem to pay much much less...like 1/4 of what I'm paying for TD (which is out of Ontario)...and what I'm paying there is 1/3 of what every NB company I called wanted.

Nobody around here WANTS to insure bikes. So I think it's a "Quote 'em high" kind of thing... The $1325 company I went with before I found TD...after sending them the info on a TW200, and the link to Yamaha's product page, I'm asked..."One of my customers has a KTM....is yours like a KTM?"

Okay....enough whining...back to the Stroms! :)

·
Premium Member
4,372 Posts
The DL650 handles the highway, backroads, gravel roads, and dirt roads with ease. The trails, well, maybe. That seems more related to the rider and for me I usually pass. I've done a few but the bike seems to get heavier and heavier each year when I have to pick it up. Two up, no issues. Camping off it is also a piece of cake, attend any of the V-Strom Rallies and a large number of folks are tenting it.

I like new, but if the #2 is setup close to the way you'd do it I'd go for it. A center stand is really nice and the first thing I added (part of the purchase deal). The aluminum cases are made by SW Motech (I believe) and the same as I bought (not cheap) for my K6 but silver. Ok, yep, #2 it is. :)

Good luck and let us know which you get.

·
Registered
403 Posts
The 2016 XT. The mileage is nothing. You might have this bike for 10 more years and have no issues.
All the extras are worth big bucks.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have a 2015 650 XT and I appreciated buying the bike already "kitted". I had to do very little to it to enjoy it. It will last me for the rest of my riding career.

·
Registered
151 Posts
OMG, $1K/year for 2 bike insurance in Canada??!!!
I pay $92 / year for a slightly better than the cheesiest Progressive Ins. policy in upstate NY (I'ma middle aged guy, clean driving record)
Is crazy high motorcycle insurance cost a "thing" in Canada? Never heard about this. Daughter wants to move to Quebec.
2018 1000XT is just under $2000 a year in Saskatchewan.😳

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
I'd go for new for sure. New tires, brakes, chain, sprockets, plugs, air filter, steering head bearings warranty, fork seals, battery. Add those up within the next year or two. Plus a few tweaks and features of the new model. I do prefer the looks of the older one.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
You did not say what they want for those 2 bikes. I would never buy new, but that's just me. Too much depreciation early on. Let someone else pay that. Mileage is a non issue. I bought my V2 with 18k miles and it now has 46k (I think) and I don't even think about it to ride it cross country, other than the tires.
Just verify if the valve check has been done, if you are not inclined to do that kind of maintenance yourself. If not and in principle negotiate the price. Not a sellers market, although its spring and that's not the cheapest time in the year in the north.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just acquired a new ‘18 1000xt and was up against a similar decision.

The prices are a big factor you didn’t mention what used seller is asking, most of us have an idea what the dealer wants.

Here’s a few reasons I will always buy new over used.

1) It’s new. Warranty

2) It’s in stock form. I like my bikes farkled in a certain way and enjoy the journey of setting them up.

3) Yes it’s a reliable Vee but years ago I watched a good friend (very fast rider) tear up a brand new GSXR in 12 months. It can happen if they’re rode hard and put up wet. How do you know?

I’d trade one of your bikes in on the ‘17 and sell the other for farkle money.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks again folks, for the input.
Both are at dealers, the 2017 is priced at $7299… the 2016 is $7499.
Keep in mind, Canadian prices ..

Having the DR and gearing it up to do some exploring and camping, I saw a lot of other bikes that were done up like I wanted to do the DR but just couldn't justify spending the extra money.
Looking at the 2016, it's already done the way I would WANT to do up the 2017 but wouldn't.
I'd want a center stand but I'd make do with an aluminum crutch made into a trail stand, I'd want engine and plastics protection and likely not end up getting it. And I'd never go drop the kind of cash that is involved with a set of aluminum luggage and mounting brackets and stuff.
The maintenance doesn't scare me, I wrenched for a lot of years and have never had to take a toy to a shop for any work yet.
I checked and, as expected, there are YouTube vids that detail the valve adjustment (more than likely valve check), and so on.

So far nobody seems concerned about the difference between 0kms and 28000kms.
I can't tell how the PO used it, but again, chances are that if someone is willing to buy the XT model and then add at least another 2 grand in OEM accessories, I'd say they're someone that wouldn't flog their baby.
But, you never know

·
Registered
203 Posts
which version / colour do you prefer?

the kms on the 16 mean very little as long as maintenance was done but was it? and by who? having Suzuki hard cases just means they got the package deal like you'll see offered as incentive on leftovers, dont think it says anything about the original buyers attention to maintenance..... maybe the opposite.

the 17 has added safety features and full warranty. the plastic Suzuki side cases are side loading, so a PIA to use but are keyed to the ignition key.

there are worse decisions to have to make, post us a pic of your choice.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Get the one already outfitted, negotiate the price as low as you can. Mine came to me with practically all the goodies that one would want and were of high quality where I may have skipped or gone with cheaper option. I added up what those would have cost me if I had purchased them and in that view the bike was practically free.
They added up to over $3,000 US and I paid only $3,750 for the loaded bike with 20,000 miles (currently at 51,000). In a lot of ways, having all of the good stuff has added to my enjoyment of the bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can have any colour I want, as long as it's black.
And as I and another poster said, if I bought the base model, I'd never drop the coin necessary to add the accessories (and the quality of accessories) that the 2016 has.
The 2016 has pretty much exactly the farkles I'd want, and none that I wouldn't. But I know I'd be on eBay or AliExpress buying junk and telling myself it'll be "Good enough".

·
Registered
146 Posts
get the newer one and customize it the way you want. the other one has farkles [and an unknown service history] but are they the farkles YOU want? dont settle.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts