StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've just recently switched from a Suzuki cruiser to a V-Strom 650. Can anyone recommend some riding routes in Lower mainland? I’m looking for something that is off the highway, and preferably with light off-road time.

Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ah, yes, the DSBC'ers are a fine bunch...of misfits. :D You could also pick up a copy of Backroad Mapbooks (http://www.backroadmapbooks.com)

Generally you won't find much west of Stave Lake. Everythng closer to town has been gated and locked.

A couple good ideas is the East Harrison FSR between Sasquatch Park and Boston Bar, and the Chilliwack River Valley. The West Harrison FSR is cool too but rougher and longer.

I'd like to hit these routes too, but I'm waiting for my armor to arrive.

Mike

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Thinking of heading up the west side of Harrison this summer, to Pemberton. Looks like it might be an adventure...
I've done it before, quite a few years back now, and in my truck not on a bike. The road then was very doable, with the only ?mark a large gully just before you reach the top end of Harrison. After that it was clear sailing to Pemberton, but be prepared to eat a lot of dust if the logging trucks are running. It would be a great adventure on two wheels.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
The only catch is, I'm planning on doing it two-up, on the Bridgestones.
First and foremost I will confess total ignorance on the performance of the Bridgestones or the Strom off pavement as I have yet to tred there. But FWIW Larolco from what I remember of the west Harrison road, it is mostly hardpack loose gravel road. I don't think it would give you much grief at all. The biggest issue I remember is a steep, short creek or gulley to cross. The kind where, when you are in the bottom of it the bumpers on both ends are inches away from touching either side. And,if your rear bumper is low, you'll drag it through the bottom going up the other side. Once you hit the Lilloet River valley road (at the top end of Harrison) it is clear sailing up the east side. Never been up the west side.

Closer to home, I think the road up the west side of Stave Lake or the road up past Davis Lake on the east side of Stave (up through Hatzic Prairie to get there) would give you a similar surface for a trial run.

Disclaimer: It's been 13 years since I've driven it so things may have changed.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
2,558 Posts
Hah, it's probably exactly the same.
Sounds easy-peasy.

I figure if it's dry, it should be doable.

I'd be interested in some shorter off-road jaunts once the weather smartens up.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I've done it before, quite a few years back now, and in my truck not on a bike. The road then was very doable, with the only ?mark a large gully just before you reach the top end of Harrison. After that it was clear sailing to Pemberton, but be prepared to eat a lot of dust if the logging trucks are running. It would be a great adventure on two wheels.
i have done the route a few times,the best part is the 2 hot springs,the best one is called sloquet[not sure of spelling]its so hot you can just bring food in a can and it will heat it for you if you put at the top of the hot water fall,and fishing in the creek there is realy good too,then as you get towards pemerton is scookumchuck hot springs,its a septic tank in half full of hot water,its now privately owned ,all are wellcome for camping,the owners name if i recall is robin,he helped me fix a flat tire there once and has his own air strip,i had a msr jaket on that day[malcom smith raceing]robin said he knew the man and he is a good guy,anyway the road is good when i took it just one hill that was bumpy on the harrison side where you leave the lake,the last hill where it turns too 4 whell drive as the 2 wheel drives have chewed it up

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
2 up

i have been running through my mind on many realy good trips ,wondering if my new bike will doo it,some bits i think if your passenger gets off and walks with the bags and stuff,you can go where you want too go,some times it doesnt hurt too park ,then walk the nasty spot and pick a trail through it,some times its best too hit the high spots on a rough section rather than go into low spots

·
Premium Member
2,558 Posts
i have been running through my mind on many realy good trips ,wondering if my new bike will doo it,some bits i think if your passenger gets off and walks with the bags and stuff,you can go where you want too go,some times it doesnt hurt too park ,then walk the nasty spot and pick a trail through it,some times its best too hit the high spots on a rough section rather than go into low spots
Thanks Swanny:

That's what I figured we'd be doing. We'll overnight somewhere, so we're not in any hurry. I just thought if the entire road were rutted out, it wouldn't be much fun two-up. Sounds like it's just the odd section, though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts