StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was starting to make some notes for a ride next year, and was looking at including Potash Rd and Shafer Canyon Rd as part of the ride. I'll be on a Yamaha Super Tenere, which is no lightweight. Has anyone here made that trip and, if you have, can you impart some first hand info on what the riding conditions are like?

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
I was starting to make some notes for a ride next year, and was looking at including Potash Rd and Shafer Canyon Rd as part of the ride. I'll be on a Yamaha Super Tenere, which is no lightweight. Has anyone here made that trip and, if you have, can you impart some first hand info on what the riding conditions are like?
Parts of the road may be ok for your bike, but you'd be better off riding a DRZ.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Very spectacular roads. 98% is no problem. 2% can be done when care is used. Do not attempt in the wet as the clay there is slimy.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That won't be possible. I don't have one, and even if I did, it would be a loooooong ride on one from North Carolina :smile2:

Thanks for the info. I've watched Youtube videos of guys driving the road in 4WD vehicles, but I'd rather get info from guys who've actually done it on bigger bikes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I did it on a 2006 Vstrom 650 a few years ago, I have also done it on a DR650 and a 2WD pickup (Ram1500). If have any experience riding your ST off road you will be fine. Just take your time.
I would recommend that before you go up Schaefer trail, turn left (coming from Potash) at White Rim Road and take it for a few or few dozen miles.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've ridden a lot of gravel, and some pretty bad forestry roads, but I don't have any real off road experience like singletrack or hucking over logs or anything.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
I've ridden a lot of gravel, and some pretty bad forestry roads, but I don't have any real off road experience like singletrack or hucking over logs or anything.
It's not like that, you'd like this road. My wife road it, she's looking forward to doing it again. We did this on DRZ's a couple years ago.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, I appreciate the first hand info. It doesn't look too bad in the videos, but it's always better to hear from people who've actually done it.

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
If it's dry it'll be fine, but if it's wet things will get a lot tougher. Watch the weather closely.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I watched a couple of them, Highwayman; trouble is that it's tough to get a good idea for what some of those roads are like, even with the video. Guys in a 4WD vehicle might not even notice some conditions that would be nice for a guy on a bike to know, like how deep the sand is in certain places. The videos are helpful, but it's always better (for me) to talk to guys who have already ridden it, preferably on a big beast like an S10 or a GS.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it's dry it'll be fine, but if it's wet things will get a lot tougher. Watch the weather closely.
Yeah, I've read that it's virtually impassable in places if there's been any rain for a couple days prior to riding it. I would definitely take a pass on it under those circumstances; lots of other nice scenery out there that doesn't involve a $1000 vehicle recovery bill from a tow company.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Yeah, I watched a couple of them, Highwayman; trouble is that it's tough to get a good idea for what some of those roads are like, even with the video. Guys in a 4WD vehicle might not even notice some conditions that would be nice for a guy on a bike to know, like how deep the sand is in certain places. The videos are helpful, but it's always better (for me) to talk to guys who have already ridden it, preferably on a big beast like an S10 or a GS.

That road is on my list when I get over that way.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That road is on my list when I get over that way.
I rode right past there back in '09 when I went up through Moab. I didn't know the road even existed back then. I was on a Harley Road King at the time, so even if I had known, I don't think I and the two wheeled Barca Lounger would have attempted it.

·
Registered
307 Posts
You're going to visit Monument Valley, too, right? Moki Dugway is a fantastic ride if you're in that area. Not real challenging, but a really nice experience. Oh the views!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
...The videos are helpful, but it's always better (for me) to talk to guys who have already ridden it, preferably on a big beast like an S10 or a GS.
One of the guys I was with had a late '90s Triumph Tiger, so a pretty big bike. Potash and Schaefer weren't too much of problem for him.

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
...I would recommend that before you go up Schaefer trail, turn left (coming from Potash) at White Rim Road and take it for a few or few dozen miles.
This is good advice! :) Beautiful views that way. Just turn around before you get to the steep climb as the south end of WRT. (I forget the name of it)

·
Registered
321 Posts
I would second Tomski and Rich. Go south on the WRT for 20 or 30 miles. SPECTACULAR! The climb Rich mentions is up Murphy's Hogback. That would be very tough on a big bike. And going off the other side of it begins with a respectable step down next to a cliff. I have mountain biked it a few times. I have every intention of going back with my DR 350. There will be some sand near the turnoff for White Crack camp. Otherwise you will be on sandstone or dirt road. The wet clay warnings are to be taken very seriously. And bring water.

To your original question, my recollection is that those parts of the road are just good easy graded dirt road. Steep switchbacks and serious exposure abound on Shaefer, as well as loose rocks tumbled into the road. Take your time, watch out, but above all, GO!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts