StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Making some hard luggage [non easy remove] out of ammo cans.
Wondering what is out there for saddlebag racks that are cheap yet not so cheap that they will fall apart day one.
this is for a 19 Wee

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
What would your definition be of "cheap yet not so cheap"? I don't think you're going to find any cheapish racks (say, under $200, or some unknown quality brand on eBay) that'll do the job you're asking. Even an empty ammo can of the type we usually use for panniers weighs about 23 lbs, and it doesn't take much effort to stuff one of them with another 25 lbs of stuff. Fifty pounds of stuff bouncing around on bumpy roads on a lower end luggage rack sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

I've used Happy Trail racks on my last two bikes. I like them a lot. A set for a 2019 DL650 is currently listed on the HT website at $245.65 (marked down from $289.00).

https://www.happy-trail.com/find-your-bike/suzuki/v-strom-650-2017/suzuki-dl1000-2014-su-rack.html

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Agreed with RCinNC. I too was going to go the ammo can route but they are just so heavy it was not feasible I did end up with Happy Trails SU racks for my DR650 then when I bought another set when I bought my DL660. The nice thing was the paniers could be swapped to either rack w/o modification and the luggage mount on all SU racks are the same.

I originally used Pelican 1550 but now HF has come out with their Apache 4800 series X-large case for $48 per if you use the always available 20% coupon. For less than $350 (this is cheap for a quality setup) you can be set up with greats pannier racks that are top shelf quality and decent panniers at a probably 25 to 30 pound weight savings.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed with RCinNC. I too was going to go the ammo can route but they are just so heavy it was not feasible I did end up with Happy Trails SU racks for my DR650 then when I bought another set when I bought my DL660. The nice thing was the paniers could be swapped to either rack w/o modification and the luggage mount on all SU racks are the same.

I originally used Pelican 1550 but now HF has come out with their Apache 4800 series X-large case for $48 per if you use the always available 20% coupon. For less than $350 (this is cheap for a quality setup) you can be set up with greats pannier racks that are top shelf quality and decent panniers at a probably 25 to 30 pound weight savings.

excellent idea. thanks man

·
Premium Member
33 Posts

·
Administrator
17,091 Posts
TUSK racks and or their pannier systems......GREAT VALUE

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10