StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll probably be riding up to UVM to see my son a few times this fall. Anyone have any good routes? It's a long ride, might as well enjoy it...

thanks

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
There are no bad roads in VT. Set the GPS to shorter distance and avoid highways and just go for it.

You will have to ride the gaps, though, east-west roads, even if they aren't on the way.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Stay off of Rte. 7 from Middlebury to Burlington, unless you're fond of traffic and strip malls. Many good roads to the east around Camel's Hump to Burlington. Take 116 instead.

pmk

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Stay off of Rte. 7 from Middlebury to Burlington, unless you're fond of traffic and strip malls. Many good roads to the east around Camel's Hump to Burlington. Take 116 instead.

pmk
True enough, yet it depends on day and time. I miss Rutland being a 2 lane town.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
The southern end Wilmington VT of rt 100 is now pretty busy and rt 7 was always a horror

I have taken to riding up rt 106 and rt 12 East side VT . I often hit them by going North out of Orange Mass on 78 into NH then crossing ABOVE Brattleboro NH63 I think

get to the North side of Bethel VT then take the Camp Brook road to 100 from 12 then hit 100 north fron there cross to rt 7 using rt 17 App Gap

have fun

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I do some riding in Northern Vermont but not much past Brattleboro in the southern part. Looks like I'll have at least 4 years of escuses to head that way now.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Thanks for the info. I do some riding in Northern Vermont but not much past Brattleboro in the southern part. Looks like I'll have at least 4 years of escuses to head that way now.
I was updating my GPS maps yesterday and looking at old VT tracks. There was a really sweet one last October, combination of well-graded dirt and pavement, but absolutely no traffic. It was just a random route, unfortunately, it was a cage ride, but I will go back there on the bike at some point. Nice bright fall day and some good color, even though color was tough last year.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I never need an excuse to go to VT.........but if anyone can give me one, let me know....A beer or a cup of coffee will work for me............:thumbup:.........TD

·
Registered
50 Posts
Puppy Dog Route from Greenfield, MA up as north as you care to go, then head west over to Burlington.

If you follow the long route for the top half, you'll run into the river that runs parallel to I-89 halfway between Richmond and Waterbury and have a short trip over to Burlington from there.

Some pics from a ride I did in June here: http://www.stromtrooper.com/ride-reports-route-sheets/76687-lower-puppy-dog-route-vee.html I probably ran the route 4 or 5 times this summer. Doesn't get old!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just downloaded the Puppy Dog Route from the BMW Motorcycle Owners of VT website and loaded on my gps. I've mapped out some of the other recommendations as well. Thanks to all.

·
Registered
22,285 Posts

pmk
even 116 is a traffic jam, at least from Hinesburg in to South Burlington , I actually think backroads into Richmond or Williston and taking Rt 2 in would be better, at least ya got the parallel I-89 to relieve some traffic

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Last time I went up 100 from the south it was continually busy too

I am beginning to get an itinerary of tertiary roads that are nice and rarely traveled.

Right now South to North I would be on the east side

look for 35, 106, 12, 110, 14 etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts