StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2009 Wee has seen 12,000 miles of Los Angeles and southern California pavement, but hardly any dirt. I'm not looking for untracked wilderness, but something like a 50 mile fire road though the mountains would be a lot of fun.

Any suggestions? There was a nice road up north of Hanson Dam, but it's closed due to a fire a few years ago; I don't know of any others.

Thanks!

Thad

·
Registered
807 Posts
Maybe look for maps of forest service roads? Some of those are paved, but some should be dirt/gravel as well. I heard some insane statistic about what a small percentage of California roads are paved..

·
Registered
278 Posts
There are a myriad of roads around big bear and the cahone pass which can take you all the way to big bear via dirt.

There is of course sand involved so if you have knobbies the options are greater.

The forest service has maps they give out freely of the routes in the various forest areas.

Good resource.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I took a ride from OC to Julian last week. there were lots of fire roads in the eagle peak area and a little squirly on my factory tires. saw lots of adventure riders in and around julian.
There is a road that runs from silverado canyon in OC over saddleback into lake elsenore. another that runs 17 miles from ortega to san diego along the ridge line looking down into the inland empire. another good ride is in the area of johnson valley (cougar butes). Most of the places and I have found to ride in socal have been the after result of hunting trips. I was bow hunting deer up near monterey one time time when i ran into another strommer and his 3 buddies adventure riding near fort hunter leggit. if you look you will find. good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts