StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just returned from a North Carolina trip, the first time in climbing switchbacks since I had a second fusion of the vertebra in my neck. I discovered I can't get my head up and back as far as I need anymore. After three days my neck hurt so bad I had to come home. I already have bar backs but need to get back further if I'm to continue riding the real twisties.

Can anyone recommend bars that I can add to the current bar backs and that will get me up and back even further? I had one set of bar backs atop another set on my previous Beemer and that sort of worked. I think different bars is a better approach.

If I can't get some kind of modification to the Wee, I may have to quit riding.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Handlebar gallery also use the Google search field at the top of the page. You may have to lengthen your brake lines depending on how much rise you add and what year you have.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nice link to the gallery, choices, choices, choices! I think I'm OK with the riding position, the stock bars just look wimpy and don't look like they would hold up very well in a get off! And I have been known to "get-off" when riding dirt!!!

·
Registered
490 Posts
I replaced the stock bars with a set of Easton EXP fat bars in a CR Hi bend (Rocky Mtn TV has them on sale right now for cheap), along with a pair of Rox pivoting risers. I hated the pullback on the stock bars - put my wrists at a weird angle.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced the stock bars with a set of Easton EXP fat bars in a CR Hi bend (Rocky Mtn TV has them on sale right now for cheap), along with a pair of Rox pivoting risers. I hated the pullback on the stock bars - put my wrists at a weird angle.
Will the stock grips and other hardware fit them?

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Everything fits except the barend piece that goes inside. The fat bars have a smaller inside diameter. You can mod the stock insert or replece with an insert for aluminum bars (that's what I did - about $20 at the dealer). You also need risers or adapters that accept 1 1/8" bars.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Morrie, also consider getting your seat modified to change your position on the bike. There may be some local upholstery shops that are good are re-shaping the seat, not just fancy new covers.

Also, how about getting someone to take pics of you on your bike and see if anyone here has some positioning suggestions.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
I like the Protaper ATV hi bars which do not require a new triple clamp or adapter. To some extent any high bar can be angled back, but the ATV hi bar already has a nice rise and sweep.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Rox Risers

I achieved riding-position nirvana after installing Rox 3.5" risers
(Patented ATV Handlebar Risers ) and steel MSR ProCarbon ATV High Bend handlebars. 31.5” wide, 6.0 rise, which have fairly minimal pullback (the less the better for me). I prefer steel since it bends instead of breaking in a bad drop. Yes, you have to get +4" brake lines (mine came from Blair at svracingparts.com) and re-route the other cables, but it was absolutely worth the effort, which wasn't all that great if you just take your time. The clutch cable can be easily re-routed by dropping the left fork down from the top clamp, thus opening a space to pass the cable through to the back side of the fork. The brake cable replacement was pretty straightforward; be sure to mask off all bike paint. Get some Russell speedbleeders to make your life even easier--available at many MC shops. The throttle cable was rerouted by simply detaching the cable ends at the grip. It all works fine. I can sit up perfectly straight with my hands and arms bent in a comfortable all-day riding position --and when I say all day, I mean up to 14 hours.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Another vote for ATV Hi Bars although I have MSR bars instead of Protapers. I have had 3 vertebrae repaired (broken/collapsed vertebrae) in my thoracic area and also have trouble with lower back pain. These bars along with my Seat Concepts seat (I chose the firmest foam they had) made my bike very ridable for me.

Seating position and proper firmness of the foam along with proper handlebars make all the difference in the world.

·
Registered
184 Posts
MSR bars

Mine are also steel MSR, as noted above. The confusion may lie in the similar product name "ProCarbon", which sounds like the brand name "ProTaper". Different manufacturers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts