StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I just started to do some dirt riding. We would appreciate any recommendations about beginner trails in Michigan. We live in Brighton. We tried the Gladwin loop this last weekend and there was just to much sand for us.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Here ya go!

Okay I have asked the same question of some of my club members. Here is your answer to some off road riding.

Google: Cycle Conservation Cub of Michigan

There is approximately 1200 miles of off road riding with camping site along the way.:D

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
got that

We have all the maps of the trails we just want to know some that would be good for novices. We went to Gladwin and the sand was just too much for us; most there had quads. What we need is harder ground and not overly step. Some sand is ok but this was like dunes.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Your going to find that Michigan is a lot of sand. Its something that we just deal with. You have to learn to ride it.

How old is your son. Real young kids ie begginers on 50's - 100's beginner bikes really struggle in the sand due to the little wheels. while you may not like the answer look for single track motorcycle only trail to ride. It is tight and the going is much slower. But because the kwadtards are not riding it the trail base stays in much better shape ie more black dirt less sand.

Im from the west side and am not real familiar with trail over on your side of the state. My suggestion though is look for systems that are out of the way and kinda obscure. Those tend to be the best one.

I do know where some good riding is over on that side but it is definately not beginner trail. Its pretty snotty stuff. But....no sand.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have not ridden these trails but, try Leota,Huron,Leetsville or Missaukee #2. In the Great Lakes Trailrider january '08 issue these are listed in the trail directory as having a lower difficulty rating.Good luck, hope this helps.Join the CCC and keep riding.:D

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ready to join

I have not ridden these trails but, try Leota,Huron,Leetsville or Missaukee #2. In the Great Lakes Trailrider january '08 issue these are listed in the trail directory as having a lower difficulty rating.Good luck, hope this helps.Join the CCC and keep riding.:D
I printed off the application tonight. Seems like a good group to support. It is sad there are no trails in the southern half of the state. We may end up in Ohio for some weekends. Maumee state forest in Ohio is closer than the areas in northern Michigan.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts