StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A search for heated grips has not come up with much , I must be doing it wrong, perhaps, but at any rate, I would appreciate information later than 2009 so how about it.
Anyone out there had a Good experience with installing heated grips. I take them for granted on the beemer and they are never unreliable so I would like to find something like that if possible.

And yes I already have the connector from EB and I have a Fuzeblock as well although I've been advised to use the OEM connector near the radiator for the grips, as I've already used the rear brake one to power up the igniton on part of the Fuzeblock system. (which works great btw.)

Any help is appreciated.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
I have Oxford sport and tour grips on my scooter and wee. Very satisfied. Would buy the tours over the sports (harder, sharp, knurled pattern) if I were to buy another set.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Oxfords! And mine are wired back to the PC-8 under my seat - to a switched circuit.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I love my Oxford Sports. I have not tried the Oxford Tours, but the relatively hard texture of the Sports does not bother me at all. Be sure and wire them switched.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have a pair of Trackside heated grips from Cycle Gear that have almost 10,000 trouble free kilometres on them.

·
Registered
230 Posts
My bike has the stock Zuki heated grips, installed at the dealer when owner #1 purchased the bike. Still on there and still heating.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I love the Oxfords on my bike, but whoever designed the controls are complete morons. The buttons are a pain to push when riding, and the LED indicator lights are simply invisible during the daytime, even in heavy clouds. I end up pressing a button 3 times, cupping my hand over the LED readout, and ducking my head way down to get a close look.

The blue light for 25% is sorta visible but the orange for 40% and the green for 75% cannot be seen. Never used the 100% setting.

·
Administrator
17,504 Posts
Oxfords.........had a set on my Strom, and gonna get a set for my C14.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Oxfords.........had a set on my Strom, and gonna get a set for my C14.
Mine have been on since new - nearly 4 years and 72,000km. A bit worn out now but still working fine.

I have a newer set on my Vee (with the upgraded controller) and one interesting thing about having them wired through a switched circuit on my PC-8 is that even though they turn off with the key, they come back on straight away once the key is back on - much more convenient than the old pair with no on/off switch.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Banditrider, could you give more info about your statement that "they come back on straight away once the key is back on"? Does that mean they turn on automatically when power is applied? Such that I'd have to turn them off every time I started the bike in the summer?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've used Hotgrips for years on previous bikes. I decided to try Oxfords on the DL650. I don't remember the model, but they have a smaller diameter than the Hotgrips. Also, the rubber is softer. Another bonus is the wires are more robust. I prefer the Oxfords and will be buying them in the future unless I need a short grip. The Oxfords are longer than the Hotgrips.

The ungainly Oxford controller is not an issue for me because I make my own PWM controllers. The knob to the right of the cruise control switch is for the heated grips. The actual controller is in the front fairing area below the instrument cluster.

Ron :mrgreen:

·
Registered
813 Posts
Banditrider, could you give more info about your statement that "they come back on straight away once the key is back on"? Does that mean they turn on automatically when power is applied? Such that I'd have to turn them off every time I started the bike in the summer?
No, sorry, I probably haven't explained it well enough. Mine are on a switched circuit so they cannot run without the ignition on. But because the switch must have an on and an off position the grips "remember: they were on when the ignition was turned off.

If they are turned off with the on/off button they will remain off when the ignition comes back on (assuming you wire them to a switched circuit rather than direct to the battery).

Can you tell I'm crap with volts and ergs and such?

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Got it. That's actually a cool feature to have them come back on in whatever state they were when you turned off the bike. Mine are waiting for me at the local dealer to be picked up tomorrow with a bunch of other farkles. I will hook them up as switched, once I get a fuse block ordered and have some time to swap out the bars and add the grips and handguards.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts