StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 5 weeks off this summer. Looking to do San Diego to Anchorage and back. I plan to get to Seattle in 2 days (by June 29). Then will do approximately 500 miles per day to Anchorage with side trip to Hyder. Hope to make Anchorage area by July5-6. I would like to see some of the Kenai Peninsula, McKinley Highway, Valdez, and Top of the World Highway. I am not planning to go to the Arctic Circle or Prudhoe Bay.

I plan to camp as much as possible to save money. I have done other shorter trips solo (SD to Canada, SD to Montana, SD to Taos, SD to Colorado, and multiple trips up the California coast. These trips were from 1000 miles to 5000 miles round trip). The Alaska trip promises to be 9,000 miles or more.

If you are planning a trip to Alaska in July and would consider a riding partner for part or all of the trip, let me know. I could alter my route north to take I 15 through Utah, Idaho, Montana or go north on I 5 through California, Oregon and Washington (preferred). If you are coming from the eastern states, I could meet up with you in Dawson Creek.

Contact me for any additional info.
Thanks.

·
Registered
186 Posts
That sounds like a great ride. The scenery around Hyder is amazing! (Don't forget to get 'Hyderized' while you are there.)
I lived in Dawson Creek for about 8 years. Two little side trips that are kind of cool would be the WAC Bennett Dam (One of the largest earth filled dams in the world), you can ride across the top of it and they run tours inside. Also Kinuso Falls are pretty amazing and there are campsites right there. Just lots of gravel road to get there and it can be pretty busy with logging trucks.
Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I will try to check out the falls. I purchased my grizzly bear proof food container from REI. Now all I need is a moose proof tent so one will not walk over me while I am sleeping. I have all my lightweight camping gear from my other trips. I will try to do 500 miles per day to get there in about a week. This will gibe me plenty of time to poke around the state and head back with some time to spare. I have friends in Anchorage who will let me stay there as long as I need.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Make sure you do the top of the world highway as well as make it to Hyder. Both are highlights of any AK trip. The road into stewart bc by bear glacier is one of the most beautiful places on the planet. I would also highly recommend taking a right once you get through Hyder and head up 20 miles or so to Salmon Glacier, the 2nd largest in the world.

Also on the way up go to Watson Lake (where the signpost forest is) and stop in at the campground on the east end of town. The owner, Mandeep, is a great guy and will let motorcycles camp free. Tell him I say hello.

-GW

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for your suggestions

Thanks for your suggestions GW. TOW highway, Hyder, Bear Glacier and Salmon Glacier are definitely on my list. I'll tell Mandeep you said hello. No way I'll pass up free camping :D

Make sure you do the top of the world highway as well as make it to Hyder. Both are highlights of any AK trip. The road into stewart bc by bear glacier is one of the most beautiful places on the planet. I would also highly recommend taking a right once you get through Hyder and head up 20 miles or so to Salmon Glacier, the 2nd largest in the world.

Also on the way up go to Watson Lake (where the signpost forest is) and stop in at the campground on the east end of town. The owner, Mandeep, is a great guy and will let motorcycles camp free. Tell him I say hello.

-GW

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Thanks for your suggestions GW. TOW highway, Hyder, Bear Glacier and Salmon Glacier are definitely on my list. I'll tell Mandeep you said hello. No way I'll pass up free camping :D
Make sure you tell him Coop and Tige said hello also.

BTW - even though it is July when you are going, make sure you take at least on pair of long underwear, sweatshirt, and some chemical heaters (like hand warmers) that you can throw into your sleeping bag.

The first night at Watson Lake it was below freezing and there was ice on our tents in the morning. Graywolf froze his ass off that night.

Tige

·
Registered
19 Posts
Cold nights

Thanks for your reminder. It's easy to forget how cold it's gonna get at night when I'm going to spend several days riding in 100 plus degree temperatures to get there.

Do you know what type of beer or cigar Mandeep may enjoy in exchange for a night of camping?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

-GW
Yes, thanks for the advice. I read every word of your travel there last year. I sent you a PM about the wheel damage. How did you manage to put that out of your mind, knowing the rim was bent? Seems like a pretty big problem to continue on with.

I will definitely see Mandeep and say hello for you guys. I also plan to do the Cassiar Road so I can do the Hyder side trip. I will also do the Salmon Glacier as suggested.

I am prepared for cold weather. I have a bag good for 20 degrees and a bivvy bag to add 10-15 degrees to it. I also have poly-pro long underwear. I sleep on a dense foam mat with a 1.5inch Thermarest. I have draped my riding jacket over my torso to add warmth on other winter rides/camping.

I have an electric vest and heated grips, waterproof gear, and a bear vault for my food items.

I have a buddy in Anchorage who will let me stay at his house as long as I want. I also have friends in Soldatna in the Kenai Peninsula.

David

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Thanks for your reminder. It's easy to forget how cold it's gonna get at night when I'm going to spend several days riding in 100 plus degree temperatures to get there.

Do you know what type of beer or cigar Mandeep may enjoy in exchange for a night of camping?
If he is as nice to you as he was to us, he'll offer you beer (Heineken if I remember correctly), pizza, and smoke. If not, just tell him you are friends with the crazy fighting Americans that he entertained last year. Our antics alone with be enough to get you started.

Tige

·
Registered
19 Posts
If he is as nice to you as he was to us, he'll offer you beer (Heineken if I remember correctly), pizza, and smoke. If not, just tell him you are friends with the crazy fighting Americans that he entertained last year. Our antics alone with be enough to get you started.

Tige
Sounds like a plan. I am meeting with docsabre on Sunday to see if our plans can come together. You meet the nicest people on this board. ;)

I see you live in Anderson IN. I graduated from Anderson University in '83. Probably before you were born.:mad:

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm sure you've probably heard that you will need a passport or the new advanced drivers licience after june1 2009 to get across Canada/USA borders.;)

·
Registered
870 Posts
Hi there, I just noticed this thread and I will be in the general area and heading that way early July I hope.

I want to do the arctic circle and Prudohe Bay as well though.

Maybe we can catch up, I will know a bit better late June.

Cheers
TravellingStrom

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi there, I just noticed this thread and I will be in the general area and heading that way early July I hope.

I want to do the arctic circle and Prudohe Bay as well though.

Maybe we can catch up, I will know a bit better late June.

Cheers
TravellingStrom
Sounds good. I am going to both Prudhoe Bay and Inuvik. Total miles looks like approx. 10,070 without counting side trips :D

Plan to leave SoCal 1st of July. Wife said don't come home until I can stop talking about Alaska :rolleyes: Thats gonna take a while...

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
The new tires are on the bike. I have a 16 tooth front sprocket, new chain and rear sprocket. The oil is fresh. New TKC tires are waiting for me in Alaska for the gravel road portion of the trip. The tent seams have fresh waterproofing on them. The maps have been reviewed. Daryl and Jim are have their Wee's ready or nearly ready.

In exactly one week we will be packing up and then leaving early the next morning to get past L.A. and the central valley before it gets too hot. We expect to get to Canada in 2 days. Then on to the Cassiar Hwy with a stop in Hyder on the way up.

We plan to get to Anchorage about a week after we cross the border (2400 miles). So even with a stop in Hyder to see the glaciers and "play" with the bears, it should be doable.

I was able to get there last week for an overnight stay with my Navy Reserve unit. Anchorage was 73 degrees and sunny. The sun set at 11:30 and it stayed twilight til dawn.

I will be taking a lot of photos but can't post any until we return.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Hi

I may not be doing the dirt now. I have looked at my itinary, or lack of one. If I leave Rapid City on the 29th June, it will mean a mad rush to get to Prudoh Bay before the permafrost melts.

I am not here to play in mud. If it is fine when I get there, then no worries, but I do not want to rush through the landscape to do it, it is not a major goal.

I will be doing the arctic circle and Alaska, but I will be up there later than I realised.

Cheers
TS

1 - 20 of 23 Posts