StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got warning by the cops this morning for driving aggressively. I absolutely deserved it--I was trying to push him up the HOV lane and I must have been out of my right mind. Sometimes you need a little poke to remind you to take it easy, what do you do?

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Sometimes you need a little poke to remind you to take it easy, what do you do?
I twist my foot until I feel the plate in my ankle.

·
Premium Member
3,020 Posts
Sometimes you need a little poke to remind you to take it easy, what do you do?
I was "poked" for $500 (and that was being lucky!!) on my SV1000S a few years ago..........sold it and got the DL650. Now, I ride alot slower "smelling the roses"......:thumbup:

You might put tape over the speedo.......say above 70 mph?? If you cannot see the needle when you glance down, let off.........?????

·
Registered
112 Posts
That's one thing I like about the Vstrom. Doesn't inspire too much speed.

Got rid of the "offender" a few months ago.

·
Administrator
17,397 Posts
I find the 1000 to be sneaky fast, I am often going much faster than I realize.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I shift my thoughts to more pleasant things instead of the wife or co-workers.

(don't think about bikini-clad chicks on bikes, it will have the opposite effect)

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
This will do it...9.5 hp.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I twist my foot until I feel the plate in my ankle.
Me too.

I find the 1000 to be sneaky fast, I am often going much faster than I realize.
Ditto.

I know a couple of people who keep photos of their kids in the top of their tank bags to keep their heads in the right place.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I got warning by the cops this morning for driving aggressively. I absolutely deserved it--I was trying to push him up the HOV lane and I must have been out of my right mind. Sometimes you need a little poke to remind you to take it easy, what do you do?
Since we're both in Gainesville and I'm sure you're talking about the HOV lane on the 66 Fwy, what works for me is to play a guessing game every day about where the rear-end collision(s) will be located for that day, since there's always at least one every morning on the way in, and every evening on the way home. Just trying to avoid getting tangled up with those idiots makes a better challenge for me to focus on.

Ride safe out there.

·
Registered
503 Posts
This will do it...9.5 hp.
Actually its true! I ride a TW200 part of the time and it saved me a ticket last week. I was leaving the shop to go to the Chiropractor and I was already late. I jumped on a BMW F800GS and started it up. I ride the piss out of those since I think they are fun. Well on this day it was out of gas. Damn.

The TW200 was right next to it with the keys in it so I jumped on it and set off. Since it was cold I was nicer to it than normal trying to let the poor thing warm up.

I got about half way to the appointment and there was a state trooper park around a blind corner just waiting for me to fly by at double the speed limit. I lump grew in my throat and then I looked down and remembered I was on the TW! Sweet. I Think I was doing 5 over but he did not bother with that. I certainly would have been doing at least 20 over on the BMW.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I saw one guy with the dollar value of fines printed on Dymo tape and stuck over their respective area on the speedo.

·
Registered
15,543 Posts
I keep thinking of the fact that I'm old and incompetent, or incontinent or something.
I can ride slower now but find myself hunting a motorcyclist up ahead when I see them. I pass them when I can. I'm so bad.......

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I keep thinking of the fact that I'm old and incompetent, or incontinent or something.
I can ride slower now but find myself hunting a motorcyclist up ahead when I see them. I pass them when I can. I'm so bad.......
90% chance it will be a Harley. They usually don't give much of a fight.

R

·
0 Posts
Actually its true! I ride a TW200 part of the time and it saved me a ticket last week. I was leaving the shop to go to the Chiropractor and I was already late. I jumped on a BMW F800GS and started it up. I ride the piss out of those since I think they are fun. Well on this day it was out of gas. Damn.

The TW200 was right next to it with the keys in it so I jumped on it and set off. Since it was cold I was nicer to it than normal trying to let the poor thing warm up.
You can't beat a smaller bike to give you the proper perspective.
If I could afford to have a fleet of bikes, most of them would be 250 or less.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Since we're both in Gainesville and I'm sure you're talking about the HOV lane on the 66 Fwy, what works for me is to play a guessing game every day about where the rear-end collision(s) will be located for that day, since there's always at least one every morning on the way in, and every evening on the way home. Just trying to avoid getting tangled up with those idiots makes a better challenge for me to focus on.

Ride safe out there.
Yep, it's been pretty light with the gov't shutdown, but not as much as I expected. Actually, the cops on that part I-66 do a good job cracking down on aggressive drivers. So, I felt lucky with just a warning.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I saw one guy with the dollar value of fines printed on Dymo tape and stuck over their respective area on the speedo.
I was going to modify the clear cover shield on the speedo, but that's an even better idea to mod the face. No need to weatherproof it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It has taken me the better part of a year to recover from crashing my
mountain bike going about 35 kph (20-ish mph) on a trail. I managed to
land on a rocky section and unbeknown to me at the time, broke my hip in the fall.

I did get up, got the bike up, and tried to first ride, then hop out of the
woods. No such luck.

From the time of the crash to arrival in the emergency ward was over 6 hours.

Needless to say, when I get a little wound out on the Vee I can recall
how much damage can be done from crashing a bicycle at slow speed and
consider what that will look (and feel) like at double, triple, etc higher
speeds.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Got clocked at 96mph and decelerating on Highway 1 just north of Santa Cruz on my Bandit.
Expensive ticket, driver's class, losta money overall, and the CHP guy gave a break! Must have been my white beard.
As mentioned above, the DL1000 is sneaky fast, so when I'm in that kind of mood I take the Bonneville.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Liter bikes are just too easy w/ speed. I find I go about 10-15 mph faster on my ST1300 than on my smaller bikes. Maybe pick up a cheap smaller bike as a commuter.

·
Registered
15,543 Posts
"90% chance it will be a Harley. They usually don't give much of a fight."

Actually it was a BMW HP2 and a Diavel recently. Hardleys are no fight, hardley!
Last one was a BMW GS but it was an out of state rider perhaps grabbing a must ride road and didn't know it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts