StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride 98% street and currently have bridgestone battle wings but have decided to forgo the compromises of a dual sport tire for my next set since I really use my Strom as a sport-tourer. This is what I ordered.

Michelin Pilot Road 2 rear, on sale for $139.99 shipped...
Michelin Pilot Road 2 Rear Tire - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

Michelin Pilot front tire, $79.99 shipped...
Michelin Pilot Road 110 80 19 Front Motorcycle Tire NEW: eBay Motors (item 380267809765 end time Nov-09-10 09:46:23 PST)

My logic:
The PR2 rear is a fabulous ST tire and this price is fantastic...I had a couple on my BMW K1200GT and the handling and mileage is excellent. It lasted almost 50% longer than my Pilot Roads did on that bike.

No PR2 front available in a 19 but longevity is less important in my front since they always last longer than the rear and since I always change them both as a set, so I went with the PR up front.

So for $219.99 I've got a great set of ST tires. Not the cheapest option, you can buy a set of PRs on ebay for $180 and I bought my battle wings on sale at Jake Wilson for about $150 shipped (! smoking deal), but the PR2 lasts a long time and should handle circles around dual sport tires.

·
Administrator
17,373 Posts
Conti Road Attacks are EXCELLENT as well.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
PR front/PR2 rear is what I had on my last strom, and I liked them a lot. The only problems I ever had were almost losing the front on a cold evening when they weren't warmed up yet, and having the rear lose traction when I encountered some extra-slick asphalt while traveling in a straight line on a wet highway (http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-v-strom-discussion/30096-adventures-highsiding.html). Can't really blame either of those on the tires, just be sure they are warmed up before leaning over much.

I just installed a set of Conti Trail Attacks friday, I paid $240 shipped. I've only put on about 30 miles so far but I'm liking them. Going on a longer day ride tomorrow so I'll get a chance to evaluate them further.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just installed a set of Conti Trail Attacks friday, I paid $240 shipped. I've only put on about 30 miles so far but I'm liking them. Going on a longer day ride tomorrow so I'll get a chance to evaluate them further.
I'm wondering where you got those tires for that price.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Bought my bike with Trail attacks on it. They lasted about 6500 miles or so. I liked them but figured I would try the Road attacks. I have put only about 200 miles on them so far but really like them. They are smoother on the street. Both the trails and the roads do the slow speed shimmy If I let go of the bars around 40 MPH, not something that concerns me. At faster speeds it does not happen.

·
Registered
174 Posts
For 98% street and a 10,000 mile estimate life tire that would equal 200 miles of dirt/gravel. This is the situation that the stock Strom tires or similar type tires were designed for. So based on your expected tire use I believe any of the big traillie adventure tires would be better choice.

True adventure tires are satisfactory for 98% pavement but pure street tires are sketchy for 2% dirt/gravel. Anyway, have fun slip-sliding away.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Conti Road Attacks are EXCELLENT as well.
I just upgraded from Battlewings to Road Attacks as well. I had Conti Sport attacks (the slightly stickier sport bike version of the tire) on my SV650 and those things were AMAZING. I could NOT make them slip before dragging my pegs HARD.

So back to the Road Attacks. After installing them on my DL1000 the bike turns and leans QUICKER than my little SV650. I'm not joking. They totaly transform the handling of the bike. I also raised the forks 15mm and properly set the sag -and I installed better Sonic springs and 10wt oil in the front end. WOW this bike can corner now. I'm wearing my peg feelers down to nothing in the mountains. I didn't really notice how good it was until I rode my SV650 again the other day. It will lean farther over but the turn in and handling is not as quick. Suspension on that bike was also fully upgraded with GSXR1000 rear shock and front springs/oil with properly set sag.

-Un1ty

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
For 98% street and a 10,000 mile estimate life tire that would equal 200 miles of dirt/gravel. This is the situation that the stock Strom tires or similar type tires were designed for. So based on your expected tire use I believe any of the big traillie adventure tires would be better choice.

True adventure tires are satisfactory for 98% pavement but pure street tires are sketchy for 2% dirt/gravel. Anyway, have fun slip-sliding away.
2% off-road is nowhere near 2% of mileage. I'm riding maybe 50 MPH average of all riding on the street, and averaging much less than half that on dirt, so in reality 2% offroad is just a few miles. Regardless I think it's an overstatement to think that street tires are going to be slip sliding as soon as you leave asphalt, these are sport touring tires not racing slicks.

·
Registered
175 Posts
A big negatory on the Conti Road Attacks. I put a set on just before a 3500 mile road trip through Montana, Wyoming and the Dakotas. They handled well, but the rear tire was down to the wear bars when I got home. Speed throughout the trip was appropriate for the states traveled. Pressure was checked every morning.

They may be fine for light touring or riding with no extra load, but 9 days and 3500 miles.....

I won't waste my money on them again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts