StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is used mostly for marking down spots while hiking. This spring I'm going to start exploring this great state of Pennsylvania, and I'll like something to mark coordinates for possible hunting/fishing/cool areas.

While mounting on my bike would be nice, it's not absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
There's a lot of handheld GPS units out there that would serve your purposes. As far as I know, most units will let you store locations you want to remember, in some fashion.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Yeah, they will virtually all do that. A Garmin ETrex Legend cX would be a good choice (makre sure it's a "cx" or "c" version). Magellan probably has some as well but I'm not familiar with them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've got a Garmin GPSMAP60 CSx. I use it for hiking, cycling and on my Wee and am extremely happy. Only downside is the built-in compass, it doesn't seem to do the trick very well, so next time I would save the extra bucks for the 'x' version. It's highly configurable and has a good memory for 'breadcrumbs', so in addition to marking specific locations it tells you afterwards how you got there. Size is convenient for hiking (fits into pant pocket) and it's waterproof and ruggedized.

Have fun on your hike!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
There's a lot of handheld GPS units out there that would serve your purposes. As far as I know, most units will let you store locations you want to remember, in some fashion.
That's the problem, there's a ton. They're a lot of money too, and trying to find one with decent reviews that has what I need at the right price is proving challenging. Thanks for the leads, they definitely help.

I really like the Garmin GPSMAP60 CSx, that's probably what I'll wind up getting (or letting my wife know I want that one for Christmas ;))

·
Registered
269 Posts
How much are you looking to spend? Do you want maps? Color screen?

If you just wanted to mark some locations, the cheapest <$100 GPS would be fine for you. It would be black and white, not have maps, and it would easily fit into your pocket and do exactly what you wanted. On eBay, you could find such a device for probably $50 or less.

On the other hand, if you want fancy features like color screen, expandable memory, maps, autorouting.... then you can spend many hundreds of dollars.

In general, I would look at the Garmin eTrex units, going back to the basic Yellow if you wanted cheap. The newer eTrex line, while somewhat resembling the old models, really are totally different GPSs, and are much more expensive, too.

The Garmin GPSMap series (60, 60c, 60cs, 60csx, 60cx, 76, 76c, etc) are very popular and the x-series have much better satellite reception. The newer models have expandable memory, autorouting, color screen, and are rugged.

Magellan's strong point has always been satellite reception. The standard by has always been the Meridian line. It's an out-of date series, but still good. Rugged, some good features, cheap. (I own a Meridian Gold) Magellan suffers from awful customer service.

I would specifically not recommend the Quest, as mentioned above. It will do what you want, but it is a model targeted for automotive use. Its battery can only be recharged in the cradle, the flip-up antenna is susceptible to breaking if you drop it, and it's not ergonomically designed for hand-held use.

Jamie

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I have a Garmin Quest and it is a handheld for taking on hiking as well. But I have it in a RAM mount on my Wee and it works great too. The battery charge last about 20 hours on a fresh charge.

You could even hard wire for a cigarette plug but I find it easier to use the charge instead.

·
Super Moderator
13,091 Posts
If you go with one of the Garmin units be sure to get one of the "x" units as these have the upgraded chip sets and get incredible signal strength even in dense bush conditions.

In my case I use a Garmin 60Cx which (I am sure like most GPS units) can store a waypoint instantly. I have a 2-gig memory card in it that allows me to have all of City Navigator North America V8 on it. This allows me to use it to Navigate almost anywhere in North America.. I used it to take my kids to Wasington DC from Toronto Area in the summer of 06. It did all the Naviagtion, found Hotels, Points of Interest, restaraunts, etc. When we got home we were able to view out trip, including the walks around DC in Google Earth.

I also use it on my Ultralight Airplane and it does all the navigation there as well. A year ago I was a passenger in a Cessna 182 as we flew from Toronto to the Bahamas. We had all the usual Airplane navigation including a couple of dedicated Aircraft GPS units but I had the 60Cx on all he time as a backup and it perfromed flawlessly.. we could have done the whole flying trip with it.

On my Strom I have a Ram mount and use it there for all the navigation as well.

There are better units that are dedicated to Motorcycle Navigation, Car Navigation, etc but as a general purpose unit the 60Cx or CSx are hard to beat. (If you might use it in on-water applications you can get the 76Cx or CSx which I understand are pretty much the same units electronically but are somewhat larger and float.)

..Tom

·
Registered
321 Posts
If all you are wanting to do is mark "user waypoints" then nearly every GPS unit out there will do that. Garmin, Lowrance and Magellen are all well respected long time producers of GPS, and all build hand helds with both 8 and 12 channel receivers.

Personally, if that was all I wanted to do, I would go on ebay and buy someones used unit that takes AA batteries (since a new rechargeable battery pack could cost more than your investment in the unit) and be done with it. I have had Lowrance and currently have a Garmin (aviation unit 296). Both did their intended job very well, but at great cost difference. Main issues were color and terrain in the Garmin, with only a basic background map in the Lowrance.

A good Magellen unit can probably be had for around $100 or less. You go to your hiking spot, hit the button to mark the waypoint, then either label it, or just jot down "Waypoint 1, Nice hunting spot" or some such.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I definitely want to stay away from Magellen; I've heard nothing but terrible reviews about their customer service. I also want to buy new, for no other reason than having one less thing to worry about.

Too many questions! I guess I just haven't done enough homework. I don't need anything fancy that tells me how to drive, I like getting lost from time to time and prefer a rough map in my tank bag window to another electronic doodad that takes my attention off the road.

Basically, I want to be able to see something cool, stop, mark a coordinate, and tell people "at this coordinate I saw this" so they can find it if they wish. Or, if I find a spot in the woods I like can push a button, make a note, and post it on the net if anyone wants to actually go there.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
+2 on V-Tom's input re: the 60 CX. I have same unit. Only thing I might offer is I've had an issue with minor case cracks at the bottom left/right corners of screen/case (the width of the two is narrowest at this point. Garmin support for this problem under warranty in Canada is non-existant and their Cdn support dealer - Raytech charges a flat fee of approx $270 to fix a unit (any type, any problem). This is essentially 2/3 cost of a new unit. This type of warrantly support should be checked out as part of purchase since it either adds or subtracts from the overall price value point.

Garmin did volunteer, when I declined to pay $270 for basically a refurbished repair, that maybe, just maybe superglue might work but that they couldn't recommend it. (it does work but get the kind specific to plastic).

I've carried mine in a neoprene case since day 1 and is either mounted in car or bike via RAM mount. Overall unit works well and never had any operational issues caused bya unit defect. it is expandable (I have 2 Gb in mine). I had luxury of trying several units out before buying and in spite of my hardware problem, I would still choose a Garmin unit again -but that's my experience and preference in terms of inutitive controls and overall ease of use.

The CSX series are in my mind a better buy if you like the barometer / altimeter functions. I understand that current models use a form of flux gate compass that actually works when you're not moving as well. Outside the of 60 C(S)X series, the 76 series are identical but are waterproof and if symetrical size is an issue, possible a little easier to carry under certain circumstances - like in a map case in top of a tank bag or packet of jacket etc..

One thing is for certain - for my multi-uses - having ability to load in specific maps is a mandatory requirement and worth the extra cost to me over a non-mapping or fixed map unit.

Safe riding

Bob

·
Registered
539 Posts
Garmin handhelds are fine, but Garmin will nickle & dime you if you want to add maps.

Since you dont care about autorouting (turn by turn directions on road), The Lowrance Ifinder H20 is a wonderful unit.
You can get one in a pre-bundled kit (called the "Plus") with detail map software and all the cables for around $200.
The single program contains BOTH topo information and roads/POI's info.
You have to buy 2 programs from Garmin to match this detail.
The H20 has a bigger screen than the Garmin handhelds as well.
It also uses very inexpensive regular SD data cards.

If you really dont care about detail maps or transferring data via the PC, the Ifinder GO & GO2 are also great units that sell for around $80.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a brand-new, unused Magellan 500 LE for sale... cheap... see the info in my sig...
- Martin
I have the 500LE as well, used it for driving directions and for fun as well. Recommend it as well. Wife and I bought it for geocaching but haven't tried that yet. Hopefully soon with the fall foliage.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If you go with one of the Garmin units be sure to get one of the "x" units as these have the upgraded chip sets and get incredible signal strength even in dense bush conditions.
Actually, that would be the "H" models. "H" is for high sensitivity, "c" is for color screen, and "x" is for expandable (i.e. accepts micro SD cards.) I have a Garmin Legend HCX and love it. It's very versatile. Works well for motorcycling and hiking, but you do have to buy the street maps separately. I like that it runs off of 2 AA batteries so it can go anywhere with me. I have no problem using it on the bike with gloves on.

·
Super Moderator
13,091 Posts
I don't know about other Garmin models, but am am sure the 60C and 60CS do not have the high sensitivity SiRF receivers, only the "X" version of the same models have them. I am sure the same is true of the 76 versions. Please correct me if I am wrong on this.

..Tom

Actually, that would be the "H" models. "H" is for high sensitivity, "c" is for color screen, and "x" is for expandable (i.e. accepts micro SD cards.) I have a Garmin Legend HCX and love it. It's very versatile. Works well for motorcycling and hiking, but you do have to buy the street maps separately. I like that it runs off of 2 AA batteries so it can go anywhere with me. I have no problem using it on the bike with gloves on.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
The 76csx is an excellent all around model. Color, expandable memory, highly accurate, waterproof, shock resistant, and it floats. I use one for geocaching and on my Wee and it works great.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had a Garmin GPSMap 60C for a few years now. I would have gotten the 60Cx, but it did not come out till just after I got mine. would have liked to have the expandable memory, but have only had a few times where I needed it.

I have been really happy with what I have. It gives good turn by turn autorouting, if you want it. picture quality is good. you can easily mark places so you can find them later. battery life is pretty long.
maps are extra of course.

I mounted my 60C using a ram mount...

my brother has an etrex Cx model and he has been happy with that - little smaller, and a little cheaper than the 60Cx but has many of the features.

This is a good place to start for reviews:
http://gpsinformation.net/

I have had good luck ordering from amazon.com. They seemed to have good prices and free shipping, but you may find better deals elsewhere.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts