StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from Regina, Sk. Canada. 68 years young :smile2: I posted in the general forum upon joining outlining looking at a vstrom to replace my Goldwing that I sold last year so I could down size

Have my eye on at 2-13 vstrom 650 xt complete with:

aluminum top box and side panniers (black)
heated grips
hand guards
crash bars
skid plate Suzuki supplies not aluminum
abs
just over 22,000 kms (13,750 mi. for my American friends)

Dealer is asking $7500. Bike was sol through them and then the owner decided to get a big cruiser as his wife didn't like vstrom style.

No centre stand (maybe negotiating item).
I am a solo rider and like to do some motocamping.

Dealer is willing to negotiate and I am going back over on Friday to talk and look at the bike closer.

I have never had a chain drive motorcycle (that concerns me) but from what I read and hear, its not a problem. Not mechanically inclined but I think I can
manage to learn cleaning and lubing the chain.

From what I have been reading on this site and internet search owners are very enthusiastic and happy with their choices.

Price wise I have heard two different versions. (1) In the ball park. (2) Overpriced. My idea is a fair price for both parties.

Looking forward to being on this forum.

Oh by the way tempis -20C feels like -30C (-22F):grin2:

John
Handle: SaskRider.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I went from a Goldwing to a V-Strom and do much of the same as you mentioned. Solo for the most part, motocamping...

The chain is a non issue so don't worry about that - adjust when needed, keep it lubed and it will be fine.

Price seems a bit high to me but if it is in pristine condition with the farkles you want, it is probably worth it. I have a 2013 and probably have closer to $12,000 wrapped up in it with top box, seat, windshield, bar risers, tank bag, LED lights... :smile2:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Greetings from Regina, Sk. Canada. 68 years young :smile2: I posted in the general forum upon joining outlining looking at a vstrom to replace my Goldwing that I sold last year so I could down size

Have my eye on at 2-13 vstrom 650 xt complete with:

aluminum top box and side panniers (black)
heated grips
hand guards
crash bars
skid plate Suzuki supplies not aluminum
abs
just over 22,000 kms (13,750 mi. for my American friends)

Dealer is asking $7500. Bike was sol through them and then the owner decided to get a big cruiser as his wife didn't like vstrom style.

No centre stand (maybe negotiating item).
I am a solo rider and like to do some motocamping.

Dealer is willing to negotiate and I am going back over on Friday to talk and look at the bike closer.

I have never had a chain drive motorcycle (that concerns me) but from what I read and hear, its not a problem. Not mechanically inclined but I think I can
manage to learn cleaning and lubing the chain.

From what I have been reading on this site and internet search owners are very enthusiastic and happy with their choices.

Price wise I have heard two different versions. (1) In the ball park. (2) Overpriced. My idea is a fair price for both parties.

Looking forward to being on this forum.

Oh by the way tempis -20C feels like -30C (-22F):grin2:

John
Handle: SaskRider.
First off, I like your post and bike selection! Below are two reasons why I think it's $1500 or more over priced. I am not a fan of dealers either where you will pay a dealer fee and taxes.
https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2012-Suzuki-V-STROM-650-ABS-ADVENTURE-120796206
https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2013-Suzuki-V-STROM-650-ABS-120828539

If you want a 2013 loaded from a dealer with 726 miles how about this one for $4900? I have to believe shipping to Canada would be less than $1000.
https://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/Champions-of-Lake-County-782534/listing/2013-Suzuki-V-Strom-650-ABS-120227317

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First off, I like your post and bike selection! Below are two reasons why I think it's $1500 or more over priced. I am not a fan of dealers either where you will pay a dealer fee and taxes.
https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2012-Suzuki-V-STROM-650-ABS-ADVENTURE-120796206
https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2013-Suzuki-V-STROM-650-ABS-120828539

If you want a 2013 loaded from a dealer with 726 miles how about this one for $4900? I have to believe shipping to Canada would be less than $1000.
https://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/Champions-of-Lake-County-782534/listing/2013-Suzuki-V-Strom-650-ABS-120227317
Thanks for the info. Bikes up here in Canada are pricier than American models. At one time I was considering an American model, but when I checked out the insurance in this
province, if involved in a collision and is a write off they the will devalue the bike a good percentage because it is not a Canadian model.

There is no dealer fee on the bike. Taxes - either way from a dealer we pay both federal and provincial taxes. Private deal no federal tax but a provincial tax on value over $3000.

I prefer buying Canadian to support our economy.

John

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
You will like the strom in all ways EXCEPT THE CHAIN.

Yeah, adjusting it doesn't take long. Once it's set, it does not change tension much until you near the end of the chains life.

Yeah, lubing it every day or two isn't too bad. Especially when it's late, dark and you just want to sleep.

Yeah, lubing it after a good rain isn't too bad. Especially when it's still raining and it's late, dark and you just want to sleep.

Under the best conditions and care a chain/sprocket set will go 25,000 miles or so. Think clean asphalt or concrete roads.

Under the worst conditions and care a chain/sprocket set may not make it to 5,000 thousand miles. Think wet, sandy, muddy roads like Alaska.

Oh, the good points, it is cheap, simple and light weight. I may have missed some more.

Signed previous Winger. And very spoiled shafty owner.

·
Premium Member
4,803 Posts
Hey Sask
What's your inseam :D ??

I'm 69 and with a little tweaking my 30" inseam works okay ...they tend to top heavy ...big tank etc.

If you are touring finding one farkled out is good.

I'll bet this guy going the opposite direction regrets that paint job

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-touring/calgary/v-strom-1000/1235402682?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

this is pretty sweet

22-Jan-17
Price
$5,750.00
Address Airdrie, AB T4B2G7
View map
Make Suzuki
Model Other
For Sale By Owner
Colour White
Engine Displacement (cc) 650
Kilometers 21,500
Year 2013
Great bike with proven history!! Includes Happy Trails skid plate, high rise crash bars, heated grips, 2" Rox Risers, Denali Spots, Electrical Wire hub, Volt Indicator, power plugs up front, upgraded front brakes lines with top side bleeder
good farkles...decent price .....I wonder wherethe factory luggage went ..

••••

the engines are very durable and if you get a good vibe off this owner you might consider it.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touring/calgary/2011-suzuki-650dl-vstrom/1212065044?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I bought mine with 93,000 km on it and its better than the 2010 with 50,000 km that I sold before that.

If you get service records then I'd not be scared of the mileage and that's really nicely set up to go.

·
Administrator
13,203 Posts
Under the best conditions and care a chain/sprocket set will go 25,000 miles or so. Think clean asphalt or concrete roads.
I think you are doing something wrong.

My chains on my bikes last between 40,000 and 50,000 miles.

As far as clean asphalt or concrete road goes my commute takes me over gravel roads fairly often. Usually a few times a week as I go over different roads for variety. Sometimes my bikes get dirty:

The chain on this bike (my 2012 DL650) was replaced at 41,000 miles and that because the stuff you see on the bike was from hitting a huge puddle of wet concrete that was dumped on a gravel backroad. Here is how the chain looked when I got to work:

Truth is, my chains aren't much cleaner most of the time.

..Tom

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Macdoc

32" inseam. Had no trouble flatfooting it at the Dealer. Has enough farkles on it at the moment for met.
Yah some weird paint scheme. Had already seen that on when researching for a bike.
Was able to pick it up of the side stand with no trouble, did not seem overly heavy. Look at different bike
earlier and it was heavy getting it up of the side stand. Didn't care for it.

Maybe there was no bags with that one.

Do prefer ABS at this stage of the game.

Thanks.

John

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You will like the strom in all ways EXCEPT THE CHAIN.

Yeah, adjusting it doesn't take long. Once it's set, it does not change tension much until you near the end of the chains life.

Yeah, lubing it every day or two isn't too bad. Especially when it's late, dark and you just want to sleep.

Yeah, lubing it after a good rain isn't too bad. Especially when it's still raining and it's late, dark and you just want to sleep.

Under the worst conditions and care a chain/sprocket set may not make it to 5,000 thousand miles. Think wet, sandy, muddy roads like Alaska.

Oh, the good points, it is cheap, simple and light weight. I may have missed some more.

Signed previous Winger. And very spoiled shafty owner.
Dark doesn't bother me. I like shutting down well before the sun goes to bed, so I can enjoy the evenings. Had enough nighttime driving with my job
before retiring.

Rain who cares, just like a goo showering only a little cooler. If its too miserable, I will forego camping and hit a motel for the night.

John

·
Premium Member
4,803 Posts
All good...that 2011 has ABS ) the front fender tho not in the ad

and you can likely ride another 100,000 km with basic maintenance. His having done the steering bearings is a big plus. ALso a good looking bike.

Basically the same deal I got on my 2010. I paid $3000 saftied couple of different farkles but really same deal.
( US readers $2200 US ...58k miles )
Took it to the east coast rain and shine and not a hiccup - will come to Australia with me.

Do not be afraid of the mileage if it's a competent owner or one who has records.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All good...that 2011 has ABS ) the front fender tho not in the ad

and you can likely ride another 100,000 km with basic maintenance. His having done the steering bearings is a big plus. ALso a good looking bike.

Basically the same deal I got on my 2010. I paid $3000 saftied couple of different farkles but really same deal.
( US readers $2200 US ...58k miles )
Took it to the east coast rain and shine and not a hiccup - will come to Australia with me.

Do not be afraid of the mileage if it's a competent owner or one who has records.
Thanks for the link. I going to try and swing a deal with the one I am looking at. I like the XT style bags. I have a larger
dry bag that I believe will go across the seat better with the aluminum bags. Mileage has not scared me before.

Buying out of province there is the hassle of an inspection and tax before one can register it.

From talking to another person in the business, he informed me of price ranges so I have something to work with.

I hope to buy here in the province and not have to go outside. This is just my preference.

John

·
Premium Member
4,803 Posts
of course ...good luck
Not much choice in used tho in Sask...could be good or bad. New ?? well hell ....treat yourself.

I've found best deals in Ontario is buying in Quebec.

Are you camping ??? just curious as to why you'd need more storage than stock luggage?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
of course ...good luck
Not much choice in used tho in Sask...could be good or bad. New ?? well hell ....treat yourself.

I've found best deals in Ontario is buying in Quebec.

Are you camping ??? just curious as to why you'd need more storage than stock luggage?
Yes I do a fair amount of camping when travelling. I will stay in motels if I need a break or the weather
is questionable. Last year I went on a trip down through the states to the Blueridge Parkway area
covering numerous states. Lovely country down there. I don't travel far in a day. I take my time and
usually put on around 500 kms. a day. So moteling could get very expensive.

I will keep an open mind on luggage I am trying to see what I need. I have a 30-32 inch long dry bag
that I up my camping gear in. When I am at the dealer tomorrow, I will have him put the panniers on
so I can see how wide it makes my butt look. He had them off.

I appreciate your input very much.

Another bitterly cold day here at least so far. Going to warm some. The wind chill is the killer.

John

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
what are the pros and cons between the standard luggage and xt aluminum style. Which would be better
for average camping and motel accommodations.

When camping I carry back packer style cookware a ultra lite cot for my creaky bones. Small amount of food,
I seek advice.

John

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
A chain is a pain.
I realize they have a purpose, all that, but they are a pain anyway.
Just the price we pay.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I went from a k1200lt to a weestrom that I could carry on my 5th wheel. I love it. I ride a lot more with the lighter bike and enjoy it on the road too. I'm 70 and was thinking long tours were a thing of the past...but, I really like this little bike.

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
How do you carry it on the 5er? I put a hitch on my 38' Coachman TT for our Honda PCX 150 scoot but it is only rated right at 500 lbs. and the Honda is 286 lbs. Some of those hydraulic lift racks are pretty pricy.

I went from a k1200lt to a weestrom that I could carry on my 5th wheel. I love it. I ride a lot more with the lighter bike and enjoy it on the road too. I'm 70 and was thinking long tours were a thing of the past...but, I really like this little bike.

·
Premium Member
4,803 Posts
what are the pros and cons between the standard luggage and xt aluminum style. Which would be better
for average camping and motel accommodations.
I can't comment on the XT but I used Jesse bags for our cross country trip and they were a big cut above any other luggage I've owned.

Incredibly well designed and spacious

Jesse Motorcycle Luggage Online Store

You could buy a Strom without luggage and get the good stuff.

I think there is a Canadian company doing pretty good cases at much lower cost than the Jesse but cannot locate the link.

·
Registered
603 Posts
FWIW - I own both a wing and a strom. I love them both but they are very different. There is nothing as smooth as the wing, but for a 650 twin it is pretty darn smooth. The strom will go places the wing won't and I love it for it but if I am planning a long ride on the highway, it will be the wing I am riding. A jaunt through the mountains on unpaved roads, the strom is the choice. Sunday ride in the twisties, alone=strom ; pillon=wing. You get the it by now.

Regarding costs, 7500 Canadian is 5800 US. That seems to be a fair price for the bike you have listed.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts