StromTrooper banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just sold my '05 Wee and now I am looking at a '09 Vee. After looking at way too many posts about the Vee engine not being as smooth and lower mileage what's the real story? 40+ mpg is fine with me, but 30's is a deal breaker. I liked my Wee enough that I am looking at a new one, but there are some used Vee's for sale too. Looking for a little Vee knowledge. Thanks.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Mine ranges from 47-50 mpg when ridden like any normal person would. I have seen a little less when ridden at speeds over 80mph for extended periods of time. This is being ridden by a near 300# rider and with full Givi luggage.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I avg. just under 45 as low as 42 if my hand gets heavy but if I remain really light handed for a full tank, I've seen 47+ With the wife & loaded with luggage, not sure as I have not tracked it closely enough and have really only done 1 trip configured this way - would guess the lower end of the range. That being said, commuting 1 up, no luggage, the 1K can perform quite well - not quite sport bike but pretty close.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My '08 gets 40 pretty easily and I am not usually riding it in the most fuel efficient manner... :thumbup:

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,613 Posts
It seems that if you leave the bike stock you can get mileage in the 40's.

Power Commander, external fuel filter mod, exhaust seem too often to lower mileage.

I get in the 34-37 mpg range. I did get 40 one time.........

·
Registered
987 Posts
I own a stock vee, no power commander, no exhaust cans, and I have a sweet running bike, it has never needed anything but tires and oil changes. It has plenty of motor unless you ride with Hyabusas and the like.
I say the DL1000 is the golden retriever of the motorcycle world--happy and relaxed all the time.

I get fuel economy in the 40's, and on occasion I have squeezed out 50mpg. We'd ALL get better mpg's if we didn't have to use ethanol in our fuel.

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
over the pass 6.5k of town, hi-way and, everything in between, ive averaged 40.9 mpg on 91 or better octane. that with yosh box fix, K&N filter and, 2bro's.. :yesnod:

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
When mine was stock and ran like crap (and that is giving crap a compliment)....43 mpg

I had the PAIR valve disconnected and mine dyno tuned with a Yosh box. It is still 100% stock. It has maybe 6 more Hp now and runs like a BMW. All the crappy fueling issues are gone now. I ride it like it belongs to my ex-wife. It always has bags on it and a largish windshield. I am always into the rpms. Now I get around 36 mpg of blissful mileage. I doubt I could get over 40mpg even if I tried....and why bother, its for fun to me, not economy.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just got mine, and took it for a trip 2-up, with full Givi luggage, I averaged a little over 40 mpg.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
milage

I get between 40 and 52 depending on my wrist. Most of the time I am sane, but sometimes you need a little fun on the way home...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I always get @40 mpg on my Vee and that's riding however I want. I've gotten as low as 32-35 and as high as 52. My motor is all stock.

·
Registered
44 Posts
40 and above? On a Vee? REALLY? :jawdrop:
Mine is an 05 that I got with a PC III and K&N. About 39 is the best I have EVER gotten. It is very low mileage and is just now about to get the 15K mile service (about 1K late). I am hoping that helps.
It still gets twice the mileage that my pick-up gets and is a LOT more fun! :thumbup:

·
Registered
831 Posts
I have a Power Commander V on my '09 1K using the stock map. The bike's powertrain is otherwise completely stock. My fuel mileage averages 42 mpg or so if I ride at or near the posted speed limits. I use 89 octane E10.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
07 with PCIII and staintune cans. right @40. but i have a bad habbit of going from zero to just over the speed limit in the shortest possible time. :thumbup:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Low-to-mid 40s, pretty consistently on my '03, now nearing about 30K miles on the odometer.

Moreover, though, I really don't think I could stand going back to a 650-ish displacement bike for the road, even for gas mileage.

James

1 - 17 of 17 Posts