StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 2014 DL1000 with 18,000 miles. This will be my first Vstrom. I have owned mostly Honda's before. Is there anything I should watch for when I go look at it? Is there anything I should worry about with this model year? The owner tells me that he bought it from a dealer last fall, rode it once, and is now selling because he needs the space in the garage.

I also have a few other questions. I typically do all my work on my bikes. Is there anything that required dealer proprietary tools? How bad is the valve adjustment procedure?

Finally, I have the option to buy a "new" 2018 at a dealer for about $2700 more but it comes with no accessories where the 2014 comes with luggage and a skid plate. Is the 2018 significantly better?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Just get the VIN and go to a Suzuki dealership and check if the recall stuff has been done. (it will be in the computer system). I have a '14 with about 25,000 on it. No problems and I would ride across the country tomorrow.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Tack another $2000 onto that new 2018 because of fees... Unless you've got a silver tongue and can actually pull of the pricing in the listing.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
About the only thing I've come across so far that requires the computer interface is to balance the idle between the cylinders.

The other thing that would be nice to have the computer for is to force actuate the ABS unit when changing the brake fluid. Although there are ways around this.

However, you can read and reset ECU fault codes and ABS module fault codes just by jumping the connectors and counting the FI light blinks.

There is a company (Healtech) that sells an aftermarket diagnostic tool that does everything except the ABS force actuate. Cost me about the same as a dealer would have charged for the balance job. They may have a new model by now that also does the ABS force.

If the previous owner had the valves adjusted you'll be good for a while... If not you'll want to look at them soon they were due at about 15,000 miles. Several of mine were right at the limit at 14,000 miles, but you just won't know until they are checked. The valve adjustment isn't too bad. You'll have to remove the tank and radiator and it's reservoir bottle and it's bracket, but you can get the valve covers off without much more trouble. The cams are setup so that you don't even have to mess with the timing chain. The cams come right off the top. You'll need the manual for re-installing them since the engine need to be in different positions for setting each cam. You'll want a reference at your fingertips for sure.

I agree with NVDucati. Get the recalls done. I also have 23,000 miles on mine and would trust it to drive across the country tomorrow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for the advice! I picked up the 2014 last night and rode it home 300 miles mostly in the rain. I just need to sort out the windscreen buffeting and it will be perfect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts