StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike is a 2006 with 49000 miles. Doesn't appear to have been crashed or have gone down at all. The seat is torn (probably from sliding a boot over). The engine has some oil seepage as it's kinda most from what I can see. It seems to ride ok, but stalled several times when I pulled in the clutch. asking price is 3500. Has trunk, but no side bags. What should be replaced and what to look out for? Thanks everybody. Jason

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Where's the oil seeping from? The only "normal" oil seepage on a DL1000 is from the large timing plug on the left side, and this is very minor -- you only see it after several hundred miles.

The stalling is almost certainly the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) -- this goes bad on every Vee somewhere around 40,000 - 60,000 miles or so, and causes the bike to stall at idle. It's about $80 for a new one and a couple of hours to install and calibrate.

$3,500 seems rather high for a bike with a known running problem and only a trunk.

·
Administrator
17,520 Posts
Make sure the idle speed is 1200 RPM minimum, if that does not help with the stalling "then" look at the TPS as being a possible issue. That is not high mileage so don't sweat that, and yes we need to figure out where the leak is coming from, I am betting under the front slave cylinder or the timing plug which was mentioned. Things like chain and sprocket wear you will have to determine or when was last done, just use good common sense and ask questions and demand proof of maintenance.

·
Cowboys aint easy to love
2,115 Posts
How many previous owners ... or, does it have an entire history of maintenance?

Have any suspension mods been performed -- for instance, to raise or lower, stiffen, or soften? How does your weight compare with that of the current owner, or whomever any suspension changes were made?

Clutch basket problems/repaired?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm working with a buddy of mine on this. The bike belongs to his father in law. I haven't spoken to the owner, just my buddy so info might not be accurate. One owner bike. He tells me dealership has done all maintenance on the bike. The oil seepage seems to be coming from the top of both heads. Both sides of top of motor seems fairly moist. I rode the bike for a few minutes and didn't notice any clutch issues. What should I be looking for there? What's the common issues for this year millage? The bike appears to be bone stock. The price seems fairly good when comparing other bikes on craigslist. Thanks for the quick response guys. Jason

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm working with a buddy of mine on this. The bike belongs to his father in law. I haven't spoken to the owner, just my buddy so info might not be accurate. One owner bike. He tells me dealership has done all maintenance on the bike. The oil seepage seems to be coming from the top of both heads. Both sides of top of motor seems fairly moist. I rode the bike for a few minutes and didn't notice any clutch issues. What should I be looking for there? What's the common issues for this year and mileage? The bike appears to be bone stock. The price seems fairly good when comparing other bikes on craigslist. Thanks for the quick response guys. Jason

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oops.... Sorry for the double post.

Also, do these bikes normally lean over really far on the side stand? This bike feels like it's about to fall over when I got off it. Jason

·
Premium Member
4,218 Posts
It sounds like it may need some new head gaskets then. Not a huge expense, but i would deduct it from the offered price. It is also possible the dealer scratched the gasket aluminum at some point, which would be a costly mistake. You may want to let someone do an inspection of the bike before you buy it.

I would guess the bike was lowered before you looked at it and they corrected the side stand to match. Now it's back to full height and the side stand is too short? Ask the PO if he still has the lowering links? A new side stand may be needed or have an extension welded on, assuming you do not want to lower it again.

The stalling thing could be corrected with a Power Commander 3 or PC5, unless it is just the idle speed or TPS.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Run Forest Run.
Unless you desperately need the bike yesterday, move on look for another one. For that money, it should be fill tank and go. After years of buying stuff with the intention of fixing this or getting to that problem later, its not really worth it. Why fix something you just bought. Maybe I'm showing my age. Lol. Unless of course you like to tinker?

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
The problems are fixable, but not "normal". It may have been in the hands of a potentially incompetent mechanic and will need some work from someone who knows what they're doing.

I would suspect leaking valve cover gaskets (relatively easy) before head gaskets (hard). However, if whoever monkeyed with the valve covers last was incapable of correctly reinstalling valve cover gaskets on a Vee (pretty darn easy, really) no telling what else got messed up. You need to nail this down for sure before proceeding.

The lean could be from a stock height Vee with upgraded suspension, so that could be good -- when the rear end isn't sagging pitifully under its own weight, a stock height Vee will lean over WAY too far.

Or it could be that the sidestand was modifed as outlined above. You really need to figure out which before jumping in.

$3,500 is in the ballpark for a bike in great shape with no issues and a decent amount of farkles. What you describe is a possibly $1,200 bike, mostly thanks to the mysterious oil leaks.

·
Registered
393 Posts
My bet is they re-used the valve cover gaskets after a valve check and pinched/tore them during removal or install...common culprit. I would suspect a head gasket on a vee to have a coolant issue, not an oil issue...but just my $0.02

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the info here guys. I will definitely take another look at the bike to see what's going on. So it seems the general consensus it the bike is not worth $3500, yes? I've been scouting craigslist for quite a while now and have only seen one other bike that was the same price and it was 4 years older (2002). Pretty much everything I can find (in driving distance from me) in about that year is in the $5000 range. Really.... Where do you guys find really nice v-stroms for less than that? I just wonder if this bike, even with all the things wrong with it, might still be a good deal? Jason

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Personally , I feel the price is fair , if there is no major issues to handle. Spray the motor down with a good degreaser , and take a better look at the leak/sweating/whatever is causing the leak. I'm in the valve cover group , long before heads. If it's heads , yeah , I'd pass , but if it is just leaking cover gaskets , it's an evening getting to know your new bike.
2 cents.

·
Registered
53 Posts
VEE

As for price not all markets are equal and the price varies with supply/demand/seasonal time etc.

Around here that is a fair price but not a smokin deal.
With that mileage I would expect it to run very well and need nothing to fetch $3500.

My 06 1000 leans pretty far to the left when on the side stand too, normal for these things. They are a tall bike so the lean angle is exagarated.

Without seeing the maintenance list thats been done its hard to tell.
The value of the bike is as much reflecetive of what it needs....not what it costs at this point in it's life.

It should have had a full valve inspection/adjustment somewhere between 20k miles and now...if that hasn't been done and yer not able to do it it'll be ~$500 or so job at the shop.
A TB synch should be done at the same time.
Other things likely at this mileage if never addressed yet would be poss fork seals/bushings, steering head brgs, wheel brgs, chain sprockets.

Some known issues that could also be lurking are rear wheel cush hub rubbers and brgs.

After this the usual suspects to be evaluated...tires/fluids etc.
Is the rubber fresh or clapped out?
Are all the fluids due /overdue or are they fresh?

If this is a one owner bike and or it has been serviced at one shop it should be easy to determine what has been done and what needs to be......
This needs to be nailed down to determine a fair price.

These bikes are rock solid so the mileage isn't scary and anything required can be addressed..just a question of how much $$ needs to be shelled out to square it away.

Stalling when the clutch is let out could just be a low idle speed, could be a bad TPS and or TB synch issue, could laso just be the crappy oem fuel mapping. Could laso be a worn/sloppy clutch and or sidestand interlock switch.
Simply turn up the isle to 1200~1300 and see if it goes away.

These bikes pretty much need a power commander or other approach to cleaning up/fattening up their fuel mapping....it can be a night/day improvement on some bikes and an significant improvement on all.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
The oil leak is evidence that someone has checked the valve clearances, which is good.

As others have said, the leak could be poor gasket reinstallation. My guess, though, is that it's not the valve cover gasket itself, but the valve cover bolt gaskets. This is a much simpler job since you don't have to remove the valve cover to replace them. Just remove four bolts and reinstall with new gaskets. (I wouldn't even call them gaskets - they're more like rubber washers.)

As for the side stand, the bolts could be loose on it, which creates more lean angle. It does lean quite far stock. Or, it could simply be worn.

As for the stalling under decel, check idle speed as others have noted, and also have the throttle bodies synchronized. I wouldn't think TPS until you've set the idle speed and then the throttle bodies. Some injector cleaner added to the next tank of fuel wouldn't hurt either.

Overall, there's likely nothing significantly wrong with the bike, based on your description.

As for price, you can use the oil leak and stalling to bargain the price down and then spend only pennies to address the issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok. based on you guy's input, I think I'll offer $3000. If owner declines, I think I'll pass. There is now an 02 1000 on craigslist for $2750 that looks brand new. Any real reason to get an 06 over an 02? Any real difference between the two bikes year wise? Thanks again for all the input. Jason

·
Administrator
17,520 Posts
Or just buy a 650 and it will be ready to go ride. The 1000's are great once dialed in, but the 650 is the wisest choice to buy IMHO.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Ok. based on you guy's input, I think I'll offer $3000. If owner declines, I think I'll pass. There is now an 02 1000 on craigslist for $2750 that looks brand new. Any real reason to get an 06 over an 02? Any real difference between the two bikes year wise? Thanks again for all the input. Jason
There are quite significant differences between an 06 and an 02, including windshield, guages, ECM, electrical output. The big shift happened in 04.

The 02 was the first model year. For reference: Suzuki V-Strom 1000 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow, what a great breakdown of model years. Quick and informative. Thanks for that. Back to the drawing board......

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I offered $3000. He accepted my offer so I'll pick up the 06 in a couple of days. Then I'll see what I have really gotten myself into... Thanks everybody for you help and knowledge. I'll start a new thread when I actually have the bike in the garage. Jason

1 - 20 of 23 Posts