StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen the bike in person, so no idea on shape/condition. Local dealer is selling a 2003 V-Strom 1000 w/ 17k miles. They are asking $5,900 which is pretty high. NADA lists average retail around $5,000. I've got a cherry 2000 Aprilia RSV Mille I'm thinking of trading in. Uncomfortable bike for road trips, so I'm looking at something more road worthy. I was hoping they'd do a straight trade (i.e. bike for bike) with little to no money out of pocket or financed. Thoughts?

Current bike and possible new bike pictures:

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
My advice is to sell the Mille and keep looking.I just bought a yellow 2003 for 3900 from a dealer in KY who wanted to move it.Bike had more miles, but was slightly farkled and I have put another 4000+ on it with no problems. Bike works like new.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Price seems high!

I bought an '03 in May of 07 with about 9kmiles (IIRC) on it for about $5400 with a Givi 46l topcase, Corbin saddle, Givi crashbars, and Two Bros exhaust on it...

·
Registered
504 Posts
Is that the one at Beaudry in Post Falls, Idaho?

There is also a big V at D-B Motorsports just up the road in Spokane. A Yellow '03 I think, also for $5,900 with 12,000 miles. You might get a better deal at D-B.

Years ago Beaudry had a small operation in downtown Coeur d'Alene & they were a pretty good place to deal with, but since moving into their BIGGER location in Post Falls they seem to have forgotten what good customer service is all about. If you go to look at that bike at Beaudry, I'm sure you will be "shadowed" by this one irritating salesperson they have that will attach himself to you like a leech the minute you set foot in the place.

Dan

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is that the one at Beaudry in Post Falls, Idaho?

There is also a big V at D-B Motorsports just up the road in Spokane. A Yellow '03 I think, also for $5,900 with 12,000 miles. You might get a better deal at D-B.

Years ago Beaudry had a small operation in downtown Coeur d'Alene & they were a pretty good place to deal with, but since moving into their BIGGER location in Post Falls they seem to have forgotten what good customer service is all about. If you go to look at that bike at Beaudry, I'm sure you will be "shadowed" by this one irritating salesperson they have that will attach himself to you like a leech the minute you set foot in the place.

Dan
You in Spokane?

Yes, it is the one at Beaudry's. Seems like a nice bike. I looked at it yesterday. Did not test drive...probably do that on Thursday. Of all the bikes I've sat on the Vee seems to fit me best.

I wasn't shadowed, although I know what you mean. They were short handed, so I had to ask for a sales person which ended up being a young kid from the parts counter.

I called about the one at D&B. It's on consignment. I'll probably look at this bike first since they want $5500 and it has lower miles. I doubt they'd be interested in a trade but we'll see.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Beaudry has been sitting on this bike for a few years now..

I had an 03 1000 and loved it. I sold mine for alot more than Beaudry is asking.

Now I have an 07 DL1000. Once you get out and ride you will love the bike.
Handling and power is great.

I have done lots of long days and long trips on mine and ride aggressively.
Dale the owner @ D&B motors is a decent guy to work with also.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Beaudry has been sitting on this bike for a few years now..

I had an 03 1000 and loved it. I sold mine for alot more than Beaudry is asking.

Now I have an 07 DL1000. Once you get out and ride you will love the bike.
Handling and power is great.

I have done lots of long days and long trips on mine and ride aggressively.
Dale the owner @ D&B motors is a decent guy to work with also.
That's what I thought...seems like they've had this bike for sale a long time. Wonder why? Price? Something wrong with it?

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Nothing is wrong with it... Other than It is an 03 and Yellow..?

They are mostly a BMW and Sport bike shop...

They are very nice about letting you take a test ride where most other shops won"t.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
I had no issues with my 03 DL1000. Never had a warranty gripe or even a bulb go out in over 24,000 miles...

Just look for what you would usually look for on any bike...

Some people with nothing else to complain about griped about clutch chudder but I
think that was more about knowing how to ride a twin cylinder engine.

The Vstrom likes the higher RPM's and seems more at home in the 4000-7500 range.
Lugging is a problem with those that don't know how to ride and think that 35 mph in 6 th gear is OK. It is not.

·
Registered
504 Posts
The D-B bike looked pretty clean, just a little surface rust on the headpipe that could easily cleaned up. Didn't look like it had been down.

Have you considered a DL650?

Dan

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, after much thought and research I decided to trade in my Aprilia for the '03 DL1000 at Beaudry's Motorsports. Straight trade with only a small amount out of pocket for tax, license, etc. I looked over the DL from top to bottom. Pretty clean bike that received regular maintenance. No apparent damage from falls or accidents. Runs and rides good. The dealer did say the throttle bodies were replaced due to CEL issue and rough idle. Also replaced the clutch basket.

Overall, I'm very impressed with this bike. Doesn't have the raw power or torque of the Aprilia but it is waaaay more comfortable.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
I am pretty sure you will be very happy with it and you might even get a few nice rides in before it snows!!!

If you would like a real windshield that works I would recommend the National Cycle V-Stream which I have, and works great as compared to the other 3 I used previously.

Getting a custom made or Corbin seat makes a big difference in all day comfort....

That is about the only areas where they went cheap on the bike. Many people are
now hitting 100K miles and more on their 1000 VStroms with nothing more than regular maintenance. :^)

email if you need any local advice.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Gotta say the yellow 03 is the best one ever. Got mine in Jan of '07 with 14,985 miles, factory bags, Corbin seat, heated grips, centerstand, tank bra, engine guards... $5695 was the price.

Enjoy it, and Dale Walker at Holeshot will take care of you with his TFI if it has the dreaded lean stumble.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's pretty rough below 5k rpm. Surging, stumbles, etc. I plan to install a PCIII and have Shumate Harley in Tri Cities perform a dyno tune session to resolve any issues. Unless anyone knows a Spokane bike dyno shop capable of tuning PCIII?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts