StromTrooper banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Wee. heh heh... Sounds funny to me to say that. Nice bike. Bigger than I thought it would be. I sat on it and could not put my feet flat on the ground but I could put both feet down enough to feel stable. My wife hopped on back and came away from the experience a little more receptive to the bike. It was an '11 model. I'm wondering if I should wait for the '12 model to come out. Sounds a little improved but... They have a special now $199 for the hard bags if you buy an '11. That includes the mounting hardware. Hmm... Very tempting. Not sure exactly what the point of this post is. Just rambling some about my first personal encounter with a V-Strom today. I was impressed.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
The 2012 model does sound like it's an improvement, but won't be available until October or so. If you want something sooner, I'd go looking for a slightly used 07 or later ABS model, unless you really prefer a brand new bike.

Either way, don't let the bags deal sway you -- the OEM bags are probably the least desirable of all the hard bags available for the strom.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
I have to agree, the OEM bags for the wee suck, it's a specific rack and special side luggage due to the one missing exhaust. I have on my wee a givi rack, I can now mount almost any hard or soft luggage I want. Next years model has a smaller gastank, 1/2 gal. but Suzi claims better gas mileage will make up for it. I like the color they have for 2012.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I like the looks of the pics of the new Wee, but everyone that has seen one in person says it's ugly. I have a KLR and a Wee, ugly is my life.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I just bought my first Wee after riding both the KLR and BMW 650GS. Vstrom was by far the smoothest ride and most responsive. I took advantage of the bag special they offered just to get me started. I'm still waiting for the bags to come in, so the verdict on them is still out. Either way, I love the bike and look forward to many happy miles. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The dealership in rural The Dalles, Oregon, is selling new stroms for $6999 out the door. Dicker. They are asking $500 for the rack & bags. It looks like American Suzuki is discounting the 2011s to the dealers.
New zero miles 2011 Suzuki V-Strom ABS

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just picked up an 11 wee

Just picked up an 11 wee from dealer in State College, PA. Traded in my 07 Tiger - was a great bike with it's own special set of problems. Got a fair deal even from the discounted price on the Strom. He has one left if anyone is interested.

Just ordered the MadStad brackets and a set of Give mounts for my bags I had from an 05 wee.

Now to remedy the weak horn.....

Looking forward to a trip next weekend.

Was going to wait for the 2012 models, but the piston change worried me due to piston problems with the Tiger. Played it safe and went with one that has proved itself many times over.

·
Registered
831 Posts
A (2011) Wee. Bigger than I thought it would be. I sat on it and could not put my feet flat on the ground but I could put both feet down enough to feel stable.
The standard seat on the 2012 DL650 is taller than the one on the 2004-2011 models. Taller and shorter seats will be available from Suzuki.

·
Registered
15,907 Posts
Those Suzuki bags are a sacrificial lamb in a get off. The frame seems vesy stout though. Mine went to bits.
I'd go for Pelican or Caribou. At least they advertise, you break, we replace.

·
Registered
32 Posts
New wee's

I just purchased a 2011. I love the bike. During my search I found most dealers offer lower prices then tack on $500 for shipping, uncrating etc.
The dealer I bought from advertized a higher price but was very honest.
Sticker price isn't always everything.
:yesnod:

·
Registered
82 Posts
2011's

Lots of great used Farcels availabe for the present models. Not sure how many of them will fit the 12s. Could save lots of dollars if you are patient .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts