StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a longer sidestand for my tall 08 1000. Any ideas?

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,623 Posts
I found a link for Soupys but it wasn't too approving.
Google adjustable sidestand in the google box at the top of the page and check out the results.

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
Do not buy Soupy's adjustable side stand, it is aweful. Their lowering links are fine, but their sidestand just does not hold up.Better to weld an extension of some kind.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bolt a hockey puck on the bottom of the stand---had one on my GS years ago and worked great---only costs a few$ too.
Just ordered a puck. Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was also thinking of getting a piece welded on. A bit cleaner.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
There could be a clearance issue between the kickstand foot and the exhaust or something else when the stand is up. Richland Rick had a problem with this when he was designing his large kickstand foot. There may not be room for a puck or extended stand. Note: I said MAY NOT. Worth checking.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I put the puck on and it worked perfectly.

·
Registered
15,623 Posts
I did google side stands and a Red and Black adjustable for $44.90 shows up. Interesting in that it appears to be a ratchet operation and variable.
Kinda clunky and definitely gaudy looking but curious in design. Looking further there is also a black adjustable for $20 free shipping.
The El Pollo Loco family dinner costs $20 and it's a turd the next day, if this stand lasts longer than that, it might be a good thing!

So I took a chance and ordered a black adjustable stand and we'll see if it's a E Bay bust or the answer to the too much lean I have. Supposed to get here Friday the 4th of Oct.
Signed, Guinea Pig

·
Registered
15,623 Posts
So I got the $20 adjustable side stand in the mail yesterday. Looks beautiful. But the yoke that fits over the pivot mount is too narrow to fit. So I file the heck out of it and find that the pivot bolt is smaller in diameter than the hole in the pivot block. Searching my sundry bits and pieces I find a length of steel tube to use as a shim, happen to fit I/O diameters perfectly but need to adjust the length.
So I get the new Aluminum side stand to work on the bike and guess what? It still leans a lot but the foot is closer in on the bike center line.
It also inspires absolutely no confidence in it's ability to hold the bike up over the long term. The structure just doesn't seem to be up to the task.
It is machined well and looks neat, I'll give them that. Oh, and it has no provision for the side stand switch to operate as designed.
So like that $20 El Pollo Loco meal, this one is a turd too one day later!
Don't waste you centavos. I'll just have to eat this one! At least I didn't get the $45 one.

As a foot note, as I took off the aluminum stand I noticed the yoke that sides over the pivot had widened from the stress of using it a couple times.
I guess after 100K miles, 15 years and who knows how many times the stand has been deployed it may just need to be replaced. Yah think?

·
Registered
15,623 Posts
I saw a pivot mount on Flea bay and ordered it.. Perhaps that mount has gotten a bit bent over the years of use and allows to angle of deployment to extend making the stand more lazy.
Give it a week to get here and I'll see if there is a difference. I could find a decent heat wench and bend the side stand in a bit?
Hey, life's an experiment, no?

·
Registered
921 Posts
There could be a clearance issue between the kickstand foot and the exhaust or something else when the stand is up. Richland Rick had a problem with this when he was designing his large kickstand foot. There may not be room for a puck or extended stand. Note: I said MAY NOT. Worth checking.
I have a hockey puck sandwiched by two 1/4" aluminum plates on mine. I had to trim it a bit to sit up high enough, and now the side stand needs to be down before I can put the center stand down. Neither are big issues. The footprint is much nicer for gravel or sand. The only real problem I have had happen a couple times is when the bike comes down hard, like after hopping a stump or dropping down from a ledge, the side stand now flips down, breaking the switch contact and stalling the bike. I need to lighten up the puck with some holes, bypass that switch, or find some stronger springs to correct that issue.

·
Registered
15,623 Posts
Zow, your spring must be really fatigued. My 04 Wee has a double spring on it, same as my 05. I had added a piece of chunk aluminum 1 1/4 square tubing and a bit of aluminum diamond plate to the end of the stand.
It does interfere with the center stand a bit but I've been living with it.
The single spring that came with the adjustable stand was marginal at working with that.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Zow, your spring must be really fatigued. My 04 Wee has a double spring on it, same as my 05. I had added a piece of chunk aluminum 1 1/4 square tubing and a bit of aluminum diamond plate to the end of the stand.
It does interfere with the center stand a bit but I've been living with it.
The single spring that came with the adjustable stand was marginal at working with that.
My '03 does have a double spring, but I imagine a piece of aluminum square tubing is much lighter than a hockey puck, they are actually quite heavy. It doesn't happen often, but often enough and in situations where it's really inconvenient. Imagine dropping off a foot high ledge on a single track and your bike just stalls when you land. I don't get myself into this situation often, but it's still a concern.

Reactions: notacop

·
Registered
15,623 Posts
Yah, the square tubing isn't heavy.
It's a bugger when the bike stalls out unexpectedly. On our older bikes we can jumper at the connector under the eat and be done with it.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Yah, the square tubing isn't heavy.
It's a bugger when the bike stalls out unexpectedly. On our older bikes we can jumper at the connector under the eat and be done with it.
Yeah, the jumper is the easiest answer, but it's also fixing the symptom, not the problem. My bike is due for some major maintenance this winter which in the end might have me swapping to an even longer stand, time will tell if some of my ideas pan out or not.

·
Registered
15,623 Posts
Well I got the replacement bracket for the kick stand today. Seems OK. Bolts were a bit different from the original 04 bolts. So I used the original. The original were shouldered bolts, the replacement were threaded all the way.The bike seems to lean a bit less than before. I kinda didn't take a good measurement. At least the pivot point seems a lot less worn than the original.
I'd like to get a little used stand but the ones I've see on fleabay were about $100. Phooey.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts