StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished watching the series Long Way Round. If a V-Strom were equipped with the right tires and crash guards and skid plate is there any reason one couldn't do the same trip?

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
I finally watched it and Long Way Down as well. Great stuff! You can google travelingstrom to see what they've been up to and you'll probably have your answer.

There are of course many things to consider, but on similar journeys, as long as there are either spare parts available, or the ingenuity to repair things otherwise, I sure don't see why a V-Strom wouldn't be a good candidate for the job.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I just finished watching the series Long Way Round. If a V-Strom were equipped with the right tires and crash guards and skid plate is there any reason one couldn't do the same trip?
Of course you can. Grab the Horizons Unlimited DVD set, well worth the money.

·
Administrator
17,385 Posts
With the proper chase team and parts, there are many bikes that could be successful. I would love to see a Strom do a documentary like that, and I am betting overall reliability would be stellar.

·
Registered
92 Posts
With the proper chase team and parts,
Any bike would make it .
Well , mainly ones that were made for some off roading , all those would for sure

My neighbors and friends drove KLR650s all the way down to southern tip of S America

·
Registered
216 Posts
I wondered why those guys did not use V Stroms when they complained about the weight. Corporate sponsorship maybe. When I fantasize about riding to far away places I'm usually on my Suzuki. Seems your best bet and you probably won't need all that expensive support. Not that I would turn it down, just saying. They did ride the ride as far as I know and I respect that.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
The story is that they wanted KTM but KTM backed out because they didn't think they would make it.

I think they bought those BMW 's at a discount only

After seeing the one where ABS failed and then there were NO brakes I would be scared

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'd do it if someone sponsored me and paid for the trip. My time, their money.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Any bike would make it .
Well , mainly ones that were made for some off roading , all those would for sure.
^^ This ^^

Between the two trips is seems that sub-frame cracks/breaks and blown rear shocks were the worst issues. They looked to have been loaded with a ton of gear, so I'm not surprised at the sub-frame fatigue. The blown shocks could happen to any one of our bikes.

I'd be leery of the cast wheels the V-Strom uses, but beyond that, I think the Suzukis would be tremendously reliable.

·
Registered
216 Posts
One oil filter, one air filter, one change of tires and four changes of semi synthetic should take you 25.000 miles. What could possibly go wrong?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Some one at KTM probably lost their job after that. Too bad we didnt have a time machine to go back amd change that call amd see what the adv landscape would look like today.

Its fun ti watch as long as you realize that not only did they have chase vehicles they also had people hired that did all the 'heavy lifting' as far as getting paperwork together helping with routing getting bikes and gear and pretty much every aspect of the trip.

It wouldnt be nearly as easy for your average person.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Im not saying the bikes wouldnt be capable. Im simply pointing out that the average person. Ie the person who is not a movie star with a whole entrouge of people in chase vehicles wont have the resourses and the "fixers" to help them through border crossings or route planning or getting out of sticky situations.

That has nothing to do with the bikes.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
First , remember that those Beemers weren't stockers. And they still had issues (although they should have known to remove the neg. battery cable before welding....) with the bike. I would venture to say that with a suspension upgrade and proper armor , a V Strom could make that sort of trip.

·
Registered
300 Posts
understand. yes the bike really doesnt matter most anything will make it, eventually. Just saying Doug does and rides all of his trips by himself, border crossings, etc. Horizons Unlimited, Lonely Planet and other such groups are to be used as help for these trips. Researching before hand is a must before such a trip. State dept warnings for unfriendly countries should also be heeded :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Im not saying the bikes wouldnt be capable. Im simply pointing out that the average person. Ie the person who is not a movie star with a whole entrouge of people in chase vehicles wont have the resourses and the "fixers" to help them through border crossings or route planning or getting out of sticky situations.

That has nothing to do with the bikes.
Agreed. If you think about it, Ewan and Charlie had the easiest part and their support teams paved the way for them to look like heroes. Doesn't diminish the awesomeness of the trip/ride or the two personalities, but it also doesn't paint an entirely realistic picture for the rest of us.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In the show the bikes were laid down repeatedly and in some cases dragged through the mud. Would the V-Strom stand up to that?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts