StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi group,

Thanks for the input on my other question. I just got back from a 1400 mile ride on my CB1000C and boy did my knees ache. has anyone ridden their Strom for that type of ride (or longer) and how is it to "stretch" out on the bike. From what I remember of the Suzuki demo at Americade, riding a Strom is kind of like sitting on a barstool for leg position.

Thanks in advance for your further insight.

Dave

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dave
I've done 500 to 600 mile days and found the foot pegs in a pretty good location. My knees are bad to begin with and this is the first bike I've found that doesn't kill them. It would be nice to have some highway pegs for the long rides. The seat is what gets to me depending on what type of riding pants I have on. I've gotten pretty use to it and it really doesn't bother me until about 400 miles.

Dave

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
footpegs

I really miss the highway pegs on a long ride. I have to straighten out my legs and let my feet dangle for a while. Have to be careful, though. I have had a foot drag on the pavement once or twice.

I couldn't stand the stock seat. 60 miles and I was hurting. I got a Corbin and it is better but still not perfect. I think if I had some highway pegs and was able to shift positions it would be better.

Also, the bars are a little too far forward for me. I get a crick (medical term :)) in my neck from holding my head up. I need them about an inch higher and back. Heli makes some adapters but they are pretty spendy.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
comfort

I did a 2600 mile trip 2 up over 2 weeks and we found it reasonably comfortable, my wife is 5'11 and found that her knees got sore just as I was about to pull in and fill up (good timing). I'm 6' and found not problems with my legs, but the seat could be better, and wind protection but I've struggled through much much worse...try riding 300 miles on a KTM 400sc if you want pain :cry:
take one for a test ride it's not too bad

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Long Distance Comfort

I'm about 6" tall with a 32" inseam.

I have two bum knees (5 surgeries between 'em) and I found the leg position isn't bad at all even after 12 hours in the saddle. I do rotate foot positions, sometimes resting the balls of my feet on the pegs, sometimes resting the arch on the peg. Unlike my old cruiser, flopping my big foot on the peg results in unintentionally riding the rear brake.

The saddle on the other hand is good for short trips. For longer trips, you'll either have to make frequent stops to walk the blood back into your nether regions or consider getting a Corbin or custom saddle. I opted for a custom saddle painstakingly made to cradle my caboose (four hours for fitting alone) in absolute comfort. Light years better. Now I run the V-Strom out of gas long before my butt runs out on me. It's textured black leather with screaming yellow piping which matches the bike perfectly.

Wind is a problem with the stock shield. Earplugs are a must if you want any hearing left at the end of the day. An electric vest is a good idea too, since a lot of air hits me square in the chest. Going over a couple of mountain passes in July, I got damn cold with just a leather jacket.

I've ordered Suzuki's tall windshield and have a Laminar Lip and pair of Laminar's EARS to install once the tall shield is on. I've heard they make a world of a difference as far as wind protection and noise but haven't experienced the improvement first hand, yet...

Grips? The stock are way too small for my paws and my hands go numb unless I'm vigilant to keep moving them around. The stock grips are being replaced with heated ones next weekend. The heated grips are somewhat thicker than stock. We'll see how that works out.

That said, the V-Strom remains one of the most comfortable bikes I've had the pleasure of riding. The local dealer here let me take it for a two-hour test ride. The test Strom was brand new and I was so impressed with it's overall comfort and power, even before being broken in, I bought it and took it home that afternoon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts