StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just checked my voltage after JB Weld, 14.8. Took my time did the job well. But I have a big concern. Latter this summer I will be going on a 3,500 mile plus trip down to south Texas, and a number of shorter trips before then. Are there any testimonies out there about the longevity of this magnet fix, should I buy a new rotor, or figure on JB doing its job and "ride more and worry less". If youve had this fix last for many miles please let me know, I dont want to buy a new rotor and the job of taking the old one off if I dont have to. What I like about this bike is it loves to eat the miles, especially after my new riders back rest

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure got one coming, but it does me little good if I'm a 1000 miles from home, I guess it will let me know JB failed, that's why Id like to know how its held up for others over the miles

·
Registered
293 Posts
I did mine 3 years ago. I don't ride a ton and have other bikes but it's been about 8-9k miles. If you put JB weld between the magnets, even if they are loose, they are still in the same relative position and should keep charging.

·
Administrator
16,968 Posts
When it's been done correctly, I'd say you're every bit as good or better than how it was from the factory. Clutch chudder is what really contributes to the magnets shifting or coming completely loose, a WERKS clutch basket does amazing wonders for the 1000's.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply's, seams JB should hold up pretty good, prior owner installed werks clutch basket, as long as I stay above 4,000 rpm shes nice and smooth

·
Administrator
16,968 Posts
Thanks for the reply's, seams JB should hold up pretty good, prior owner installed werks clutch basket, as long as I stay above 4,000 rpm shes nice and smooth
Hmmmmm......with a Werks basket and everything else being properly adjusted, your 1000 should easily run at well under 4000 RPM smoothly.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Hmmmmm......with a Werks basket and everything else being properly adjusted, your 1000 should easily run at well under 4000 RPM smoothly.
It depends on what you are comparing it to. Compared to an inline 4 the DL1000 idles like a tractor and doesn't get smooth until you get up into the RPM's. This is true of pretty much any V twin/L twin

·
Registered
375 Posts
Sure got one coming, but it does me little good if I'm a 1000 miles from home, I guess it will let me know JB failed, that's why Id like to know how its held up for others over the miles
The magnets will always stick. The issue is if they move from left to right. There is a space between the magnets, . if the original glue fails, the spaces are shifted, and all the magnets are touching each other. Instead of a few equal spaces, now we have one big space... The JB weld becomes the spacer we need in between the magnets.
If the oil was cleaned off the surface, and the JB stuck well, there should be no issue.

·
Administrator
16,968 Posts
It depends on what you are comparing it to. Compared to an inline 4 the DL1000 idles like a tractor and doesn't get smooth until you get up into the RPM's. This is true of pretty much any V twin/L twin
Nah, my 650 idles like an inline 4 and just as smooth, the 14 to current 1000's are also much smoother engine overall than the 02-12 1000. Now a smooth idle is a flat 6 like my Valkyrie, can line nickels on the valve covers and they don't so much as move. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
looking around these forums it seams many DLs run a little rough between 3,000-4,000 rpm, 4,500 seams to be the sweet spot for my bike, 5th gear cruising 65 ,near as smooth as my FZ1,

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,297 Posts
If you are keeping your DL 1000 above 4000 rpm because it is much smoother, there is something not right.

At cruise and with everything right, the DL 1000 is one of the smoother bikes I have ever owned in the 3-4,000 rpm range. Now roll on the throttle and you will feel the pistons firing a bit. But that is character and not typically considered a bad thing at all.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The DL at every rpm is not as smooth as previous bikes I have owned. It's just not. I also notice that 4000 rpm and blow, at speed, in OD, the bike is just nota s smooth as when it's around 5k rpm. That seems to be a sweet spot in the rpm range. I'm going to get the clutch mod done, but similar to the sv's these have a sweet spot and aren't smooth as an inline 4 or even some of the other twins.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts