StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's truly been a long time since I dropped in here, but I'm still kicking and still riding my V almost daily. I see some of you I know (and many more I don't) out on the roads nearly every day. When I'm paying attention, I try and throw you a "V" wave. Sorry if I miss ya, it's not intentional ;)

Aside from just saying "Hi", I did want to get the low down on whats the latest recommendation on tires these days. Yes, I'm lazy, but "tires" is just too short a word for the forum search tool :p

I've had (and liked) the Metzler Tourance's, and my last two sets were TKC80's, but the fact is I'm not getting as much trail time as I hoped, so they are wearing out too fast for my budget.

So, other than the Tourance's, what other tire options are there these days for the "V" that are mostly street oriented but could handle an occasional jaunt on the fire roads? Oh, and lets keep it tame, I don't need to get in trouble for starting a tire flame war, just looking for a few recommendations from locals that know the weather and roads around here and also ride year round like me.

Mirage...

PS: My odometer reading this morning was ~32,800 miles... Just had the V in for her 30K service. In addition to the usual stuff for that service, I did have to replace the clutch slave cylinder, been leaking on and off for a bit now. They cleaned up the bike nice too, better than I ever do, and she's purring like a kitten again.

·
Hmmmmm
1,326 Posts
Great to hear from you! Nice to see some old friends from the past pop in once in awhile. I had been running TKC's along with the Shinko 705's in the summer. The 705's are done and I just wore out the rear TKC so I threw a Metzler on the rear and a spare 705 on the front just yesterday. And before folks jump me for a radial on the rear and a bias on the front, I know, I know, I know. But we'll see how it goes.

Good to hear from you :hurray:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to hear from you :hurray:
Likewise!

So, since we both have experience with the Tourance's and the TKC's, and you also have experience with the Shinko 705's, how do the 705's compare to the others in the following areas:

1) on-road life span (Tourance lasted longer than TKCs for me, by ~2x)
2) highway speed stability and noise (Tourance were smoother and quieter, but both ran just fine up to triple digits ;) )
3) wet road handling (about the same for me, with the TKC's being slightly better for me)

BTW, when I say "Tourance" I'm not talking the EXPs. I've no experience with these, and seem to recall hearing they wear faster than the originals... but if it's not as bad as the TKCs, I'm open to trying them out too.

Mirage...

·
Registered
10 Posts
PS: My odometer reading this morning was ~32,800 miles... Just had the V in for her 30K service. In addition to the usual stuff for that service, I did have to replace the clutch slave cylinder, been leaking on and off for a bit now. They cleaned up the bike nice too, better than I ever do, and she's purring like a kitten again.
where did you have your V serviced in Portland?

timt

·
Hmmmmm
1,326 Posts
Likewise!

So, since we both have experience with the Tourance's and the TKC's, and you also have experience with the Shinko 705's, how do the 705's compare to the others in the following areas:

1) on-road life span (Tourance lasted longer than TKCs for me, by ~2x)
2) highway speed stability and noise (Tourance were smoother and quieter, but both ran just fine up to triple digits ;) )
3) wet road handling (about the same for me, with the TKC's being slightly better for me)

BTW, when I say "Tourance" I'm not talking the EXPs. I've no experience with these, and seem to recall hearing they wear faster than the originals... but if it's not as bad as the TKCs, I'm open to trying them out too.

Mirage...
I used the 705's on our CDR ride and they did great. They held up pretty well but didn't get near the mileage I thought I would have. Because of the heavy block tread they where a little noisy but nothing I couldn't live with. I mean for the price I was pretty happy.

The TKC's were awesome tires felt good in the turns and, believe it or not they felt good on the wet also. But because of the cost I always felt guilty when I was running them on pavement. Which was a lot so I felt a lot of guilt. I loved them, just not sure I spend the money again.

The Tourances are new to me but have heard good things. What psi's did you run your's? This weekend I'm riding two up with photo gear so I have them max'ed out.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Im 8,000 into a matched set of Anakee 2's. I got them to replace the stock Bridgestones. While better than the Bridgestones, I'm figuring Im only going to get about 10K out of the rear and maybe 12K out of the front (generous guesstimate). Im a big guy (245lbs) and I ride a lot of 2 lane that tends to get a lot of chip seal around here. Long straight stretches show in the wear pattern. I have a pretty good sized chicken strip. As for ride. I love them.. they hold the tarmac really well. Gravel... back is fine but wish I had a knobby for the front. Mud... not impressed. They may keep you moving, but just barely. Alomost got stuck a couple times.. and wont repeat that mistake again. Granted this was some pretty slimy farm mud we're talking here so might be different. I read similar stories about these tires and clay.. not good. Sand is a similar story from what I have read so far.The front tends to wash out in gravel that has any type of depth.
I have beem thinking about my next replacement a lot lately. Thinking maybe a Conti trail attack rear and a TKC80 front. Still not sold on the Shinko. Dont know why,,, just not. Tourances look pretty promising as well.. but spendy.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the notes on your experience with the 705's...

The Tourances are new to me but have heard good things. What psi's did you run your's? This weekend I'm riding two up with photo gear so I have them max'ed out.
I usually run them at spec, as labeled on the tire (when I remember to check). I tend to play with the rear-shock preload more than tire pressure when riding two-up.

Mirage...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im 8,000 into a matched set of Anakee 2's. I got them to replace the stock Bridgestones. <snip>
Thanks for the info Smellyhound!

You reminded me that I did have front washout issues in gravel with the Tourances on my ride down to Plush OR a few years back... it was deep gravel and a long stretch at that, so not much fun. Rear Tourance was fine, front had a mind of it's own... more food for thought :confused:

Mirage...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Roughly, how many miles did you get from the TKCs? I have the Tourances on my Wee and they're great. Plus I have a new set of Tourances in the garage waiting for the current set to wear out. BUT, I'm considering the TKCs instead. It seems like the TKCs will do better in the loose stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts