StromTrooper banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been researching DL's here on the Stromtrooper site for over a year, I am a long time rider, 44 years, with over 300,000 miles on a variety of bikes, mostly BMW's. A couple of weeks ago I almost pulled the trigger on a 2011 DL650 but got cold feet at the last minute. I already have a DR650 that I bought in 2009 I use for forest service roads, lightweight touring and such, and figured as great a bike as the DL650 is, I needed more power. I mostly ride solo, but ocassionally momma likes to ride as well so I needed something that would handle me at 260lbs and momma at the perfect weight for her 5'2" frame......I've also done a lot of touring with bags and trunk and full camping gear and expect I will rig the DL1000 as my main touring bike so I think the extra power will be put to good use.

On Thursday I just happened to stop by my local dealer here in Kingman and damned if they didn't have a new 2012 DL1000 still in the shipping crate. It took me about a minute to decide to make the buy, especially after the GM told me that the deal they were offering on the 2011 650 would apply to the 2012 DL1000. That deal was $1000 off the MSRP of 10,399, and 0% financing. While my 401K has been pretty sickly the past few years, it's certainly doing better than 0%.

To get to the point, I have no experience with the DL at all and I'm wondering about high speed "vibrations". I am doing my best to break the bike in per the book and staying below 5000 RPM. Of course at 5K RPM in 6th gear the bike is showing an indicated 95. My question is this, I have what feels like a Hum at high speed. Of course in the desert an indicated 95 with a 35 or 40 MPH wind quartering in from about 2 o'clock probably has the bike believing we are running about 130 to 135 MPH. From what I've read on this site the actual speed the bike felt is probably around 120 with the known speedometer error of the DL, still pretty fast for an essentially naked bike.

Is this HUM unusual or am I just experiencing the typical noise and feel of a Vee at high speed? I have the stock shield in the upper position today, but experienced the same thing yesterday with it at the low position. I'll be taking it in for the first service early next week and need to know is I should mention this to the Service Tech.

thanks, Mike

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Figure your speedo is around 10% off at 65mph ( mine was when stock ).I'm not sure about a " hum " but they do make a varity of noises at different speeds.There is a hidden position for the windscreen that raises it up another inch or so that might help.one thing you might want to do when it comes time for new chain and sprockets ( once a year for me ) is to add 2 teeth to the rear OR drop one in the front.HAVE FUN !!!.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
987 Posts
I went down a tooth on the front sprocket (16t) and removed the stock sprocket and still have it. Going down 1 tooth is necessary, and my bike is STILL geared pretty high IMHO. Just readjust your chain and go, no need to wait til you need a new chain.
One hidden advantage: it us easy to know your speed without adding a speedo-healer. You must do the calculation in your head forevermore, but its easy--70mph=80 indicated, 60mph=70 indicated. It accurate as can be, just 10mph higher than actual. I have adapted and have no problem with this.
Enjoy the new bike!

·
Registered
663 Posts
At 85mph trailwings will hum. When new, replacement Michelin Pilot Road tires were quiet. 6500 miles later
the rear is squaring off and the hum is back in cross winds with the bike slightly leaned over and riding on the
raised edge of the flattening tread ( hum goes away by straightening up ).

5000-5100rpm is the max vibration zone on my K2.

Clanking, rattling, high pitched whines, screeches and clunks get my "gotta fix that" mentality working. Hums?
Probably no worry, but staying curious about it is a good thing.

They sent a 42 tooth rear replacement sprocket by mistake. I installed it anyway and speedo error, per GPS,
has gone from 7% to over 8%. I just use a 10% mental correction. Habit, actually, as none of the Brit or Jap
bikes I've owned have had an accurate speedo. Rely on GPS in "Fines Tripled" work zone speed traps.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
You ride with your momma? Hmmm... Mikey, I think it's time for a girlfriend now.. The V-strom issues are the least of your worries...:mrgreen:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts