StromTrooper banner

Long term review of Werks basket

1299 10
Hello all, has anyone put a of mile on their Werks basket, how do they hold up? Can you still launch aggressively without shudder?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yes... to all.
Highly recomended!

·
Registered
2006 DL1000
83 Posts
I'm surprised that there hasn't been more replies. I think the fact that realshelby has been doing these for over 10 years and there doesn't seem to be any negative feedback should speak to the quality of his work. I put in a Werks basket on my V a couple years ago but only have about 6000 miles on it. I do use the clutch aggresively and have done some off road and 4 wheeler traails and no issues with clutching or chudder. I have spent some effort with other non clutch vibrations and the best results were from retorquing the engine mounts and thrust adjusters (love the sound of that!) and recently replaced the chain and sprockets which also helped a ton. I am more than happy with the Werks basket and can now actually use 6th gear at legal speeds which I couldn't previously.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,884 Posts
I’m guessing here and don’t want to put words in Terry’s mouth. I suspect he would stand behind any issues you might have.

Also, see @ERS post above.
Yes. I have done several FREE inspections over the years. Sometimes there are issues that come up with other parts of the bike that cause vibrations that feel just like chudder. While the inspection proved the baskets were ok...the owner has piece of mind and knows to look elsewhere. And in a very few cases there was an issue with the basket that I fixed free of charge. I fixed the process that caused those few problems years ago. Well over 1800 done so far!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes. I have done several FREE inspections over the years. Sometimes there are issues that come up with other parts of the bike that cause vibrations that feel just like chudder. While the inspection proved the baskets were ok...the owner has piece of mind and knows to look elsewhere. And in a very few cases there was an issue with the basket that I fixed free of charge. I fixed the process that caused those few problems years ago. Well over 1800 done so far!
I have found lots of positive feed back at the time of install but no long term reviews. I'm guessing the old adage "No news is good news" is applicable here. In every case the basket seems to solve the problem. My problem is that I've never heard of chudder. My bike does something I call shudder at the time of launch. The clutch jerks and grabs suddenly usually making a grinding noise. The closest description I've found was in this post" clutch slap undocumented " the OP said the basket solved his problems. I plan to try a different oil as a last ditch effort but don't really expect it to work. My bike does vibrate quit a bit from 2000rpm to about 3500rpm. I'm hoping the basket will cure that if not I'll try a Power Commander. It usually starts raining here in January so I'll pull the bike apart and contact you for a basket.
Thanks David

·
Registered
07DL1K
369 Posts
My bike was previously very rattley feeling from 2k-4k rpm and the basket made the motor feel 1000% better in that range. I had typical chudder, the bike would literally shake on anything except very slow take offs. Doing the basket made my low rpm shifting feel smoother too.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,884 Posts
I have found lots of positive feed back at the time of install but no long term reviews. I'm guessing the old adage "No news is good news" is applicable here. In every case the basket seems to solve the problem. My problem is that I've never heard of chudder. My bike does something I call shudder at the time of launch. The clutch jerks and grabs suddenly usually making a grinding noise. The closest description I've found was in this post" clutch slap undocumented " the OP said the basket solved his problems. I plan to try a different oil as a last ditch effort but don't really expect it to work. My bike does vibrate quit a bit from 2000rpm to about 3500rpm. I'm hoping the basket will cure that if not I'll try a Power Commander. It usually starts raining here in January so I'll pull the bike apart and contact you for a basket.
Thanks David
Classic case of a badly worn main bearing. These wear in an egg shaped pattern. This can cause the basket to cock a bit to one side while clutch lever is pulled in. When released the basket is caught in the cocked position....until enough load builds up to "pop" it back in place. That is when it gives the sudden grab.
Any time you are keeping your bike above 4000 rpm because it is much smoother.....that also is a sign of a badly worn clutch basket. I suspect both of your problems will be fixed with a Standard Level WERKS build....currently $295 including return shipping for US customers.

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
I don't own the bike anymore, but I put about (IIRC) 160 000 kms on a Werks basket before selling the bike with about 230 000 kms on it. No complaints whatsoever. The Werks basket is a solid product/service. My memory could be off by 10 000 kms or so, but yeah. You get the point.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I don't know how much I've put on mine ... a lot ... but abosolutely one of the best mods you can make on an old Vee. Recommended highly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts