StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to work today, I went to down shift and I had no shift lever. Pulled off onto a side street and the shift was dangling by the linkage. I managed to get the pivot nut tightened a couple of turns by my fingers. Rode the rest of the way to work and got a pair of pliers and tightened a couple of more turns.
Went to the hardware store a bought a snap ring wrench and locktite over my lunch hour.

I think I have seen this mentioned before, but here's another reminder.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
pruav said:
Going to work today, I went to down shift and I had no shift lever. Pulled off onto a side street and the shift was dangling by the linkage. I managed to get the pivot nut tightened a couple of turns by my fingers. Rode the rest of the way to work and got a pair of pliers and tightened a couple of more turns.
Went to the hardware store a bought a snap ring wrench and locktite over my lunch hour.

I think I have seen this mentioned before, but here's another reminder.
I guess I been lucky, I read about this and have been keeping a close eye on it. I got 4k now on the Strom now, what milage is the average when this happens?

·
Registered
292 Posts
You know, I'm not the brightest bulb in the pantry, but I've checked all around my shift lever and can't seem to find the bulb being discussed. It it at all possible for somebody to take a pic and email it to me or post it? If you email it to me, I'll gladly host it and post it in this thread to avoid further confusion

bill at thejonesnetwork dot net

Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll take a picture when I get around to loctiting the nut. I won't be home until next wed.

It is the nut/bolt that goes thru the rear of the lever. It has a snap ring on the end. The shift lever pivots on the outer stud portion of the bolt.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Gear Shift

Checked mine today and it was loose.Got about 3800 miles on bike.Believe it would of fallen off eventually if left unchecked.Better keep an eye on it! :wink:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is what the lever looks like when it comes off and is dangling by the linkage

Here is a close up of the bolt with out the lever on it.

It is a 5 minute fix if you have a snap ring tool and locktite.

·
Registered
203 Posts
For anyone that does not have a snap ring pliers. An awl or other sharp pointed tool and a small screwdriver can also remove the ring. It isn't rocket science and you sort of have to work the ring off but it works. I did use a pliers on mine a week ago but I ended up distorting the ring a bit. Your local hardware stor should have a replacement ring.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The same thing happened to me on my SV650 and I didn't have but 875 miles on the ODO. I was down shifting and between 5th and 4th gear the linkage was dangling down. I pulled over to the side of the road and with my skinny fingers managed to thread the bolt on 3 or 4 turns. Road it home tightened it a little tighter using a thin open end wrench.
I just had my 600 mile service done three days before it fell off. So needless to say I took it to the Dealer to fix.
I have 1975 miles on my K5 wee strom and checked the shifter bolt and its still tight.
Cheers!

J

·
0 Posts
This "FIX" is listed in the FAQs ... Seems ALL V-Stroms have a loose shifter bolt. It's the 1st thing to do LOL. Ya think such a well documented problem would now be part of the dealer prep. Remove and loctite the damn thing BEFORE you sell it! What DO we pay the dealer prep for? They are supposed to be the experts. :wink:

It should be a "sticky!" Things you NEED to do on delivery.

I remember reading about this when I first got my 05. Since it was used and the previous owner was an active forum participant I figured it was done... Nope was falling off after I had the bike a couple of months. It will not come off now. Also lubed with water proof grease. Which brings me to the question why aren't ALL greases water proof? Why even make anything else?

GAD, I never even knew there were so many KINDS of grease!

M

·
0 Posts
I read about this last year, and checked it regularly for quite a while, then lost interest because it was never loose. Last week it fell of, and I discovered it when I went to downshift to pass a car. I was at 12500 miles.

·
Registered
112 Posts
JohnInNH said:
This "FIX" is listed in the FAQs ...
Where is this FAQ? The one linked at the top is just FAQ aboutthe site, logging in, posting, etc.

I went to stromtrooper.com main page and went through the links, but saw now FAQ.

Can ya help a newb out?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hehe, I guess I never noticed any info on this before now. Last week I was in North Carolina riding on the Cherohala Skyway (awsome road by the way). I went to grab a gear and lo and behold the shift lever was gone. Me and my riding buddy where able to fix it at the road side with the tool kit and a leatherman, got it tight but still need to remove and loctite it. This happened at about 2200 miles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Riding along on an unimproved road my shift lever snagged a small tree stump and snapped the sucker off. My foot didn’t snap off, but I will be sporting a ski boot type brace instead of my riding boots. Do you think 3 weeks will be long enough to loctie my new shift lever on? Dammit! I didn’t need such harsh reminder to do what I’ve seen mentioned so many times on this forum about the shift lever falling off. Oh well it’s too hot to ride this time of year anyway, and I keep telling myself that, over and over and…

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Had to start this one again, my shift lever fell off, no signs of loctite. Lucky I wasn't far from home.

Did some research and found this thread and thought I would pass it on.
_______
Kyle

·
Registered
110 Posts
Replaced with Touratech shifter

about 4 weeks into ownership. Nice, simple solution. I think the original linkage system is overly complex.
Yes, it cost money, but I like the simplicity.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Ya think such a well documented problem would now be part of the dealer prep
Well, during my maintenence in preparation for a 2 week road trip I ran across this thread and thought " damn I was going to locktite that months ago."
Yesterday when I tried to get the bolt off it was real tight. After it finally came loose I saw that it had locktite on it.
Since I didn't do it it must have come from the dealer that way.
The salesman I got the bike through was a V-Strom owner so he may have told the service department a few things.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Checked mine a few nights ago. It actually had Loctite on it, I put a little more on and reasembled.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts