StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Wee which I've had for four months and just finished installing a three circuit power block from Eastern Beaver. I got the complete 3 circuit V-Strom kit so it would be plug and play with no wire cutting.

I had a hell of a time finding the rear brake connector on my bike. I looked and looked. I took my laptop out to the garage and compared photos from the forum to my bike. I read and re-read the postings on this forum. I could not find the connector where others have found it. Many people said it was under the coolant expansion tank so I removed the left side (from the rider's point of view) L shaped black plastic piece and found the coolant tank but no connector. Finally it looked like I would have to remove or at least lift the fuel tank to find the connector. I didn't really want to do that because the tank is almost full. I removed the right side L shaped black plastic piece opposite the coolant expansion tank. I shined a flashlight under and behind the fuel tank and there, tightly under and against the rear tank brace, was the rear brake connector. The gap I was looking through was the only way it could be seen without lifting or removing the fuel tank. Then it was just a matter of slipping my hand in, disconnecting the connector, and plugging in the Eastern Beaver connector. A piece of cake.

From my research on this site, it appears that the brake connector can be in various places depending on the type of V-Strom: Wee or Vee, ABS or not, and model year. The general area, between the battery box and the engine, is the same, but the specific location varies. As I stated, my bike is a 2005 Wee without ABS. The easiest way to get to the rear brake connector on my bike is to remove the right, L shaped, black plastic piece and reach through the gap to under the rear fuel tank brace.

I cannot speak highly enough about Jim from Eastern Beaver. His products are first rate and he has been very helpful in showing me which of his products I need to install my Stebel horn, BackOff XP brake light adapter, and sockets. He has been quick to answer my questions. I'll definitely be doing business with him again.

Larry

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
When I installed my 12V plug I ordered from Easter Beaver. It's a great place to do business. I ordered from Canada and had the package within a week.

SS

·
Registered
174 Posts
When installing my Eastern B relay mine was just behind and below where the tank is anchored to the frame... not far from the battery.

Jim has been VERY helpful over the years, ordered two relays in the last two weeks.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Just installed a PC8 from E.B. yesterday and everything went more smoothly than I expected.
Don't know how you managed to reach that connector though. There was no way to get my fingers in there to grab and disconnect it. I planned a bit in advance and decided to change the air filter at the same time. Trust me, with the fuel tank off, its all pretty easy! :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Lord at least none of you mis-read the online directions and took apart the rear fender in an effort to locate the rear brake connector. :cursing:

Once I was able to find this thread it still took me a bit to find the connector. I ended up doing a tank lift, unbolting the rear tank mounting bracket, and holding up the assembly while disconnecting and re-connecting.

Ok, who puts a rear brake connector under a fuel tank?

Dave...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you! This helped immensely!
I have a 2012 Glee.
I was finally able to see it underneath the back of the fuel tank. I had to snip the wiring bundle and was finally able to get it exposed enough to attach the Eastern Beaver connector for the PC-8 fuse block. It took long needle nose pliers and a flathead screw driver and a lot of cursing but was doable finally. Was so happy not to have to raise the tank.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Well welcome to the forum and hats up for searching and finding an ancient thread that was of help!

Now get the service manual and get familiar with removing the tupperware. Its not so difficult after you have done it a couple of times and it allows to do the more demanding maintenance activities. Always good to know whats where on the bike. Push the fasteners into a couple of cardboard pieces with the locations marked. That way you don't have to sweat which bolt goes where, first time around.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Push the fasteners into a couple of cardboard pieces with the locations marked. That way you don't have to sweat which bolt goes where, first time around.
I was just going to suggest that. It's what I do. In fact, now that I remember what bolts go where, I still use the same piece of cardboard just so no bolts make their escape.

Cheers,
Glenn

1 - 8 of 8 Posts