StromTrooper banner

How do you get your bike onto a trailer or truckbed

• Never trailer my Vstrom

Votes: 19 39.6%
  • Push it up the ramp onto the trailer (engine off)

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • Power it up the ramp -walking beside the bike

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • Ride it up the ramp - Woo-Hoo

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • Use a loading dock - or equal - to get bike onto trailer

Votes: 1 2.1%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the several threads don't adequately address the how to of the most important phase - getting the bike up the ramp - so lets try a poll (assuming I can get this right)

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
I Just

I just ride mine up and hit the front brake as soon as the back wheel leaves the ramp and touches the trailer. Been doing it that way for many, many years. Works good for me.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Riding up make sure the trailer is attached to the truck or otherwise stabilized. First time I tried it I got a surprise as I rode into a teeter totter. :green_lol:

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I voted "never load my bike on a trailer", but you missed an option - a drop bottom trailer. Really easy to load - just ride on and tie down.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have never loaded the Wee on a trailer so far, and hope I never do. I guess it would depend on the trailer I was loading on to for the proper responce.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Depends on the height of the trailer/truck and the type of ramp. I put mine in my brother in law's 4x4 truck once and it was pretty high with narrow slick ramps. For that, we pushed it up. If I was putting it in a lower trailer I would ride it up. FWIW, all the scratches and damages I've put on my bike came from it riding in the back of his truck and not from being ridden like it was intended. I hope to never make that mistake again.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
I quit!

Ten times I have loaded my Wee-Strom onto my trailer.
Ten times I have unloaded it after 1500 miles.
Twenty times I have been frightened, and recently
I have had a sore back after each loading and each unloading.
And of course, after loading it, I have 1500 miles to drive.

This time the Wee-Strom stays behind and I'll take the little bike instead.
You know, as soon as I made that decision, my back felt a whole lot better.

Good luck with your trailering. If you are as weak as I am, you will
take every advantage, including pointing the van and trailer down
the driveway and removing the trailer's wheels to make the ramp
as shallow as possible. It's an extra hour of jacking and wrenching,
but I found all these steps necessary for my safety.

I considered using the engine to help me load as I walked beside,
but that was too hairy for me. I just leaned into it and lurched it up.

Keith

·
Registered
392 Posts
trailer

I use my trailer and an atv ramp with plywood tops added to it. The ramp is
4 foot wide and chained to the trailer so it can't slip off, so I can easily touch my feet down on both sides riding it up. I've seen a whole bunch of bikes dropped by people trying either use narrow ramps or using a piece of wood to load bikes. Riding it up the ramp is fairly easy but trying to stop part way up without putting your feet down is another matter. Ramps not attached to the truck/trailer have a bad habit of coming off that vehicle when power is applied to them from the bike.

Bill H.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I've never trailered my wee, but I have trailered many other bikes up to the Harley Davidson size. I try to find a hill near the road or driveway (like the one in my front yard for years). I back the trailer into the hill, making the ramp as horizontal (and short) as possible. From there, sometimes I ride, sometimes I push.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If it's my own bike I will power it up the ramp and walk beside it
If it's an unfamiliar bike I will push it up the ramp with the engine off.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Trailering Bike

I've never trailered my Strom - but I load it into a toybox trailer every night as that's where it lives...no garage so the toybox is my garage.
I walk beside it as I power it up the drop ramp into the trailer.

·
Registered
293 Posts
It seems to me that some guys think you're less than hard core if you trailor your bike. Coming from a dirt bike background, I have no problem with it. I know I'm as hard core as the next guy.

Having my bike on a trailor means I also have my truck. My truck is awesome and has alot of good stuff in it which makes a camp and ride more enjoyable...Like big firewood, some chairs, good tools, and a cooler with ice.

So...yeah....I'll trailor from time to time. I've done bikes only camp and rides on my Wee more than I've used my truck and trailor. Given the choice.....I'm split. Sometimes I like one.....sometimes I prefer the other. You definitely have more stuff when you use the truck.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I voted "push while walking beside" but that's with a 5' wide ramp. Makes a huge difference when the ramp is 1' wide. In that situation, you'd best have a helper. Another ramp to walk up beside the bike is useful too.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I have a single-axel, open utility trailer with one of those tall, wide mesh tailgates that is also my ramp. I've always just jumped on the bike and rode it straight onto the trailer into my Condor bike chock. With the trailer attached to my truck, it's a quick and painless one-man operation. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have never trailered the Vee but have trailered other bikes for myself and friends from dirt bikes to goldwings. When my son was younger we would go down to the beach and ride but he was too little to ride the freeways so on the trailer the bike would go. But we always pushed them up, I saw a good friend get VERY hurt by a simple mistake riding his bike up the ramp like he had a 1000 times before.

But we cheat, I use anything I can to get the ramp as level as I can, in my driveway I will put my rear tires (of the truck or trailer) in the gutter. That way the deck is as low to the ground as possible. If you find just the right spot you might not even need the ramps. My driveway with my street trailer I can load even a cruiser in with out a ramp, and yes, then I will ride it in.

·
Premium Member
2,990 Posts
Most trailers have a low enough deck height that it's really not a big deal to get it in/on one. Whether I ride it or walk it (either powered or unpowered) just depends on the exact situation.
Now getting it into a pickup or van, that can get a little dicey.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts