StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a set of d106 dryspec bags and I have received some feed back in regards to them being top heavy. if I could get some detailed explanations that would be great . My plan is to load the heavy items in the large bag on the seat and light gear in the other bags- rain gear , tools, repair kits ,snacks and water ,ect View attachment 269689 View attachment 269690 View attachment 269691

·
Administrator
13,211 Posts
A lot is going to depend on your size, skill and what you are used to.

My bike normally looks like this and I have no issues:

When touring I prefer to have one 80 liter bag on my back seat. I always have a top case (for the last year or two a 58 Liter Givi.) I have sidecases but don't generally use them.

A couple of summers ago my wife crashed her Tiger 800 on the trans Labrador. She flew home and I carried my 80 bag on top of her 80 liter bag. Total weight of the two together was 104 lbs and I think the Givi was 36 lbs or something like that. (BTW she is petite, 5'4" and had no problem with the givi 80 Liter and her (smaller) topcase on the back of her tiger 800 Low.)

This was a bit top heavy and only really an issue when getting the bike off the side stand. It had a greater tendency to wheelie and I had to be careful when braking as the top bag pushed against me.

..Tom

·
Registered
636 Posts
I believe the bags you have straddling the tail bag are actually supposed to be down at seat level.

If you want to reduce your weight distribution the most you can, you'll want to get a set of supporting brackets for them, and put your heaviest things in them.

Then you can turn those other bags 90 degrees on the Z axis and put the smaller of the two on the luggage rack so that things sit much lower. This may make your side bags inaccessible without first removing the tail bags.

If the setup works for you and you're not dragging footpegs, it's not a big deal as long as you ride accordingly. Large loads up high will add a bit of delay to leaning the bike, and make handling more squirrely at parking lot speeds.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I carry 80 or 90 pounds when camping but try to keep the weight as low as possible. Only light stuff goes in the top box. The dry bag on the seat has a tent, sleeping bag and mattress. My buddy has givi soft bags he uses on the side of the bike when he carries a pillion as there is no leg room with the plastic givis but these attach to his racks. I would try to get supporting brackets and get the weight as low as possible.

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
OK I load differently. The top box I place the items that I would need during the day. Rain gear, gloves snack, locks etc... In the panniers I load the heavy stuff to get it low and also the food (metal bags for animals etc...) including extra fuel. On the back seat like the photo above (not that HUGE) I put a dry bag with "grab and go" stuff. Clothes hygiene kit extra clothes sleeping bag. Either hotel or camp site just pull the bag off the seat. The rest would locked down less fuss. I try to keep the heavy items in the lowest most convenient place.

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
Like others have said, I keep the weight as low as possible and in the side cases. Daily needs go in the pillion bag. I try to keep the items in the top case as light as possible. Don't want the tail wagging the dog.

YMMV

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
The best thing to do is learn to pack smartly. 3/4's the stuff you think you need, you don't. Leave it at home and you don't have to worry about its weight.

I pack one pannier with my clean cloths. Other pannier is for tool roll, shoes/boots, rain gear and dirty cloths stuffed into a thin rollie. To case is empty for throwing gear into if it needs to be left unattended.

Camping does add weight but still if you bring what you need and Maye a little extra you still do not need much.

This is another reason I have gotten away from tool tubes and extra storage. If I have a place to put stuff I'll find something to put there, carry and rarely of ever use it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts