StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Some of the Garmin models like the 376 with XM antenna will get Nexrad. The subscription is expensive at about $30 a month.

The alternatives are iPhone, Treo and the like to get it off the web.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I just get it on my cell phone ( $5 extra a month )

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Does the zumo 550 do this? I prefer a smart phone for frequent weather updates if necessary.

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
I get mine from my eyes, free of charge and no gadget required.

All part of the adventure.

Tige

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Does the zumo 550 do this? I prefer a smart phone for frequent weather updates if necessary.
The Zumo can't get radar overlays, which is the major shortcoming for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have had a zumo 550 for some time now and that unit is what I was hoping to get live radar on at a reasonable cost. Have not been able to yet.

·
Premium Member
5,058 Posts
I can't find a later thread so figured I bump this one.

Very dramatic just now

The NOAA map above is updated hourly and is very finely detailed down to 3 km but I cannot find a live link as yet.

Super-detailed weather map shows US of fire and ice

17:30 03 October 2014 by Flora Graham
For similar stories, visit the Picture of the day , Hurricanes and US national issues Topic Guides
(Image: NOAA)

Look out, South Dakota and Nebraska – wild weather is on its way. That's the message from this example of the new super-detailed US weather forecast map, produced by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

NOAA is combining detailed real-world weather data with models of how clouds and winds evolve, creating a weather prediction that is updated every hour. It has a resolution of 3 kilometres, four times better than previous systems. This allows meteorologists to pinpoint neighbourhoods under threat of tornadoes, snowstorms and flash flooding as well as alert airports and pilots to air turbulence and thunderstorms.

The image above, produced on 30 September, appears to show the south of the US ablaze, but it's actually a map of surface temperature. It shows a cold front moving across the plains, threatening South Dakota and Nebraska with severe downpours.
With that small a grid riders should have very detailed information coming available near real time as I see 15 minute updates on the data page.

These are my main tools for riding assessment.

NWS - National Mosaic Enhanced Radar Image: Full Resolution Loop
This is national for the US and can be burrowed into for local radar.

and Ontario
Weather Radar - King City, ON - Environment Canada

and it will be raining in Toronto oh about 1/2 and hour or so. :D

6 years later - there are plenty of live radar apps for smart phones.
In for a chilly weekend on the left side of that front.

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,228 Posts
I use the Weatherbug App on my phone and that worked great for my 7000 trip last year.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I just use my work smart phone. I pick route over weather anyway and only check the phone if it looks real nasty.

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
For Aussie readers, I use the Pocket Weather AU app on my iPhone. It has the BOM weather radar images.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts