StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 DL650 with two sets of Givi bags (E41 and Trekker) and I believe Givi racks. The bike came with the E41 bags and I have since added the Trekker bags as I wanted something a bit less wide for riding to work. I use the E41 for camping trips.

Just recently, my wife started riding with me and I am trying to improve the overall comfort for her. I am strongly considering the Russell All Day seat which should help. The other issue -- not sure how to resolve -- is she has very little room for her feet (on the pegs) when the bags are mounted.

I am interested in hearing what others have done to revolve this issue.

- Peg relocation kit? If so, which ones? I have tried searching....
- Different bag mounts?
- Different bags and racks? ---- last option since I have two sets of Givi bags that I am generally very happy with

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for this. The link was for the second gen wee. Need to find out if they - the peg relo kit - work on the 2009 models as well. Does anyone have a link for the website for the kit?

·
Registered
944 Posts
I have a very very similar setup (see below).

My wife has no problem with the setup, but keep in mind she is the athletic type.

Mounting is a bit of a challenge because the rear peg is close to the bag and doesn't allow for foot rotation. To solve this she does one of two things.
1) places her heel on the rear peg vs the tip of the foot or
2) less common she will use my foot peg to mount.

Once on there is plenty of room for both of us and no complaints about foot room from her. Oh, and trust me I would hear about it if there was a complaint.... :yesnod:

During her mount I do have to verify that I am on solid footing and have the front brake on. The mount is a little less graceful, but certainly not an issue for us.

Hope that helps some.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great feedback on the mounting technique. My wife laughed when I showed her your post. She has the same exact issue.

Regarding the passenger peg relocation, I found Dan's email and he responded right away and said they would work on the 2009 but they are out of stock.... Looks like this would be the best solution.... But can't get them now...

·
Registered
96 Posts
MFW Vario Passenger Footpeg Mounts Suzuki DL650 V-Strom - these have 23, 30, or 50mm off sets to move the pegs down and forward (well, any direction actually as they can be rotated to 8 different positions)

I just looked on twisted throttle and revzilla and they are out of stock, not sure if they are out of production.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
28 liter Mule packs mounted on Happy Trails racks. Plenty of passenger foot room. We have mounted them on Givi racks also.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks to this thread, I learned about Dan Vesel's relocation kit. I contacted him but they don't have anything ready this early in the year, hopefully later. Otherwise I might make something similar.

Best not to carry a passenger if you have a top box. A relatively mild rear end collision can become devastating.
Fred I really hope that doesn't come from first-hand experience. A friend was hit from the rear last year (his Vee was written off so he got a Glee) and I gather that rear-end collisions are not often pretty. His rear wheel had a section missing! I'm not an engineer but that's a lot of force.

I guess you're saying the box may not crumple but transfer the impact to the passenger's back? Scary since that's how my wife and I often ride. Then again, I don't know how well any passenger would do even in a 20km/h rear impact. Most people around Toronto drive 15-20km/h over the limit to begin with...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Best to ride defensively, keep your eyes on you rear at stops or when turning, bike always in gear and ready to roll if needed. Thats 20!

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
Best not to carry a passenger if you have a top box. A relatively mild rear end collision can become devastating.
Why?

What do you think will happen to the passenger with the top box on?

·
Registered
944 Posts
My opinion is the exact opposite. A top box keeps the passenger safer (won't fall of the back with an unexpected acceleration) and adds to general comfort.

·
Registered
125 Posts
im for the top box as well. keep it passenger will appreciate not falling off and comfort to rest im sure if any vehicle that rear ends a bike will not end pretty box or no box

·
Registered
578 Posts
My opinion is the exact opposite. A top box keeps the passenger safer (won't fall of the back with an unexpected acceleration) and adds to general comfort.

A top box may make the rear passenger feel more comfortable and have less of a "fall off the back" concern.

However in a rear collision it is a problem.

Here is what happens.

Car hits the back of the bike.
The vast majority of the impact is taken by the rear wheel and transferred to the entire bike.
This brutally accretes the bike. It's 400 lbs vs 4,000 lbs.
The front rider is not anchored in anyway.
The bike shoots forward and the front rider does not.
The full weight of the front rider hits the back rider as the force of the impact on
the rear tire shoves the top box forward.
The smaller female passenger is shoved forward from the small of her back right when the front rider's upper body hits the passenger.
The female passenger gets 200 lbs smashing her upper torso while the lower torso/hips are hit with the top box dragged forward by the mass of the bike and car.

I saw the aftermath of this in the mountains in Italy,
The passenger broke her back. The top box was cracked in the front and no damage to the back. It looked like the car hood did not even hit the top box as it was too high up.

It is acceleration and deceleration that does the most damage. Without a top box the passenger in most cases will end up on the hood of the car when the bike is shot out from under her. There is still impact, but not the same contrasting front and rear impact to the body.

Here is an image of a rear ending with a back support (same position as a top box... some have a cushion on them).
Just try to imagine the force on the lower back if there was a passenger.

And from this image you can see how the front rider would be thrown back against the passenger sandwiched between the front
rider and top box.

In this video in a relatively minor rear ending look at how the rider shoots back as the bike is shoved forward almost
instantly. Just imagine the forces on the lower back of a passenger with a top box or sissy bar/back rest.

http://youtu.be/SnwZm_hw_oQ

Here is another video of a rear ending... truck actually hits the side pannier.
There is no top box, but you can see how the rider is thrown back as the bike is pushed under him.

http://youtu.be/TCjZEe8Ig9k

another that shows how far the bike gets shot out from under a rider if their is not top box.

http://youtu.be/HKgBZjiqPxU?t=2m1s

·
Registered
504 Posts
You can paint just as devastating a picture of an unsupported passenger falling asleep or sliding off a bike during unexpected acceleration on the freeway and being crushed by the following traffic, this actually happened here several years ago when a female passenger was crushed under a semi when she slid off the rear of a Harley at 70 mph, this individual unfortunately had no rehab since she died instantly. Just wanted to keep the record straight since you only outlined 1 of 2 possible scenarios. So considering these two possible scenarios would you recommend not riding with a passenger at all ?

BTW FredBGG Thanks for the reply to my PM.

Dan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts