StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So perhaps I am dense, but i recently put on the oem dl650 hand guards and while they help a lot, under 35 oF they are not cutting it, so i found out just by googleling that there are oem heated grips, and I wanted to compare those with aftermarket options, but where is this elusive list of OEM parts that are not in the normal "assemblies" that you buy replacement parts from?

I see that the current models on the suzuki site have them but what about older years? I'm on a 2011 dl650.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Avoid OEM heated grips. They are overpriced and underperforming compared to aftermarket grips. Type heated grips in a Google custom search box at the top or bottom of the page here to find many threads on the subject.

It does appear Suzuki only started including accessories in the parts list in 2012. It is hard to impossible to find individual parts for accessory kits before then.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that explains it, thanks for the info and I will surely go the aftermarket route then for the grips ! Crossing my fingers that the grips + guards solve my cold hands for the winter.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Heated gloves to a better job than heated grips. The nice thing about grips is you never leave them when there is an unexpected cold snap.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya I was interested in them always being on. So on the way are the touring model of the oxfords (v8) and I took your suggestion greywolf from another thread and ordered the horn cable. I'll post back any funkness with the install to help others. Am I missing anything? Lots of threads were quiet complete on the heated grip subject, was a huge help !

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One of the reasons I was looking for the accessory list, that you confirmed doesn't exist :( was to see if there were any more fairing components that might block wind near your knee. Some small fins that are just 6 inches in front of your legs would be GREAT in the winter :) Anyone know of anything such as that?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This thread has drifted, either ways I got the heated grips on (looots of time filing the throttle tube down correctly. But they went on well. Currently I have it hooked to the battery until i have time to get the tank off to find that darned oem grips connector.

My question is sealing and bundling all the wire. I tried some heat shrink tubing around the 3 connectors of the grips, but they still have holes at the ends since they only shrink so much, am I supposed to seal that with something? I'm an electrical idiot.

Where to put the wire, doesn't look like a bundle would play well down in between the forks with the existing wire that moves freely. Not to mention on turning across the arm that holds the fairing. I thought maybe bundle and attach the bars as a safe way?

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
This thread has drifted, either ways I got the heated grips on (looots of time filing the throttle tube down correctly. But they went on well. Currently I have it hooked to the battery until i have time to get the tank off to find that darned oem grips connector.

My question is sealing and bundling all the wire. I tried some heat shrink tubing around the 3 connectors of the grips, but they still have holes at the ends since they only shrink so much, am I supposed to seal that with something? I'm an electrical idiot.

Where to put the wire, doesn't look like a bundle would play well down in between the forks with the existing wire that moves freely. Not to mention on turning across the arm that holds the fairing. I thought maybe bundle and attach the bars as a safe way?
I wrapped all the connectors with this 3M self fusing rubber tape to seal out all dust and moisture to all my wiring modificatios & additions. I rapped 50% on each rotation. It seals as well as heat shrink and totally conforms to almost any shape. Just pull it really tight, do it neatly and take you time. I think I found it at Lowes or Hoedeport? Take a picture of with you. They won't know what you are talking about. It took me 2 trips to find it. I also put dielectric on all the connectors as a 2nd barrier to dust and moisture.

http://madstrom.smugmug.com/Other/New-V-Strom-650/i-h72fM96/0/L/! Motorcyle New V-Strom 650 2013-12-11 002-L.jpg

http://madstrom.smugmug.com/Other/New-V-Strom-650/i-dM7jPSk/0/L/! Motorcyle New V-Strom 650 2013-12-11 003-L.jpg

·
Registered
36 Posts
Might be too late for you now but you may have gotten the cheaper version of shrink tube. Good stuff is available that had sealer which you will see oozing out the ends when shrinking almost done. At this point yiu could get a tube of dielectric grease and squeeze it into the open areas or option 2 would be to coat with rtv silicone but that can be messy and a real pain if you ever need to do anything with those wires in the future.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am not happy with the location of where I put the wires, so i will be redoing it and taking off the heat shrink thats on it, so any option is possible !

Is that 3M tape really heat shrinking? Cause it doesn't say it in the picture and I can't find it on their site.. but if I could wrap the stuff myself (instead of a presized tube) and then heat that sounds great.

·
Registered
518 Posts
It's not heatshrink tape. It sticks to itself to form an integrated whole. Just wrap it tightly around the connectors and it will be fine. BTW, I just electical taped (3M) up the connectors on my Oxfords, and they have been fine for three years now. And electrical tape adds almost no bulk.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah I got it, that looks like good stuff, i'll give it a shot. So what about the stowing of the wires, where did you guys put all the extra?

·
Registered
184 Posts
That vulcanizing tape is overkill, but does do a good job keeping things watertight. Look at the oem tubing, it's open or is heat pinched (don't know the correct term) and doesn't look like it's water tight. Really, besides water sitting in there, it won't effect the wire, that's what the sheathing is for (unless there is a nick in the jacket, although I don't want water sitting in places like that, either.
I wouldn't recommend the heat shrink with the glue unless you have it in place and don't need to ever take it out in one piece. It's glue and will memorize the position and be hard to conform to a different one after a heat then cool phase. Not sure if you can hear again after to make pliable a second time...

What would I use, that tape, only because I have access to it. I would use heat shrink and tape the ends with it, 2" total of that tape pulled off the roll is all you need for both ends.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just wanted to update, I ended up using the temflex 3M tape, and for anyone that hasn't used it, it's amazing ! Highly recommended.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts