StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had several embedded image links removed. Some have been to standard product shots and stuff, while others have been to my own images that are posted on other sites (ie: dpreview.com). I reread the rules and couldn't find any info on this. I have never had an image link removed from my own ftp space. I am not sure how they would tell that those are my spaces or not though.

What is the policy on embedded image links?

What is the policy on general links? I know ebay links are not allowed, but can you link to a product page, say at twisted throttle? Can I link to news articles say like sltrib.com? Blogs?

What else should I know about linking?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The usual reason for the loss of an image linked to an outside web site is the image was taken down from that site and is no longer available. Do you have an example?
Yes, today i posted 2 pics from Dan Vesel's and the embedded links were removed.

I posted an FYI that Yann had a website up and it was removed. I posted an embedded link to dpreview contest winning photo that I took and it was removed.

Dan Vesel pic

enduro guardian

dpreview image

all removed

·
Super Moderator
4,479 Posts
Yes, today i posted 2 pics from Dan Vesel's and the embedded links were removed.

I posted an FYI that Yann had a website up and it was removed. I posted an embedded link to dpreview contest winning photo that I took and it was removed.

Dan Vesel pic

enduro guardian

dpreview image

all removed
Your dpreview image is visible. I can also see the Dan Vesel pic. The other pic isn't a link to a pic, just to a website.

·
38,047 Posts
Did you ever see the pic in the post you made. It sounds like you are posting the page's url instead of the picture's and the picture is never showing up. Find the post you made and click the post number at the top right of the post. That will provide the url of that post alone at the top of the browser. Copy it here and I'll look at it.

·
Forum Admin
11,174 Posts
It is possible that I removed the link to the website as he is not an approved vendor. Vendors need to contact [email protected] for advertising posts.

Ray

ps - yup, just checked your posts and that was the reason i put there.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you ever see the pic in the post you made. It sounds like you are posting the page's url instead of the picture's and the picture is never showing up. Find the post you made and click the post number at the top right of the post. That will provide the url of that post alone at the top of the browser. Copy it here and I'll look at it.
Yes, I saw the pics for some amount of time before they were removed. I know the difference between embedding pics and making links. I previewed the post and the images were there.

Your dpreview image is visible. I can also see the Dan Vesel pic. The other pic isn't a link to a pic, just to a website.
Now it is. The dpreview pic has been removed before. The Dan Vesel pics have been removed. The link was removed before.

It is possible that I removed the link to the website as he is not an approved vendor. Vendors need to contact [email protected] for advertising posts.

Ray

ps - yup, just checked your posts and that was the reason i put there.
It was not an advertising post, I am in no way related to the company. The Dan Vesel link in the above link was allowed to stay.

I am fairly sure it is just due to moderators discretion. I don't feel wronged or anything. I am just trying to clarify policy so that I make sure I stay within the rules.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bumb

I'd just like to know exactly what the rules are.

Can you post links to non sponsoring vendors if you are not related to the company?

Why have some of my external embedded images been removed and others not.

The policy, if there is one, seems kind of arbitrary to me.

thanks

·
38,047 Posts
The only things that bother me are ebay, craigslist and advertising as they are against forum rules, spam too. I don't have a problem with finding a place that sells something somebody is looking for. I'll look for a forum supporter first if I can. If a person has an interest in a site to make money for her/himself or a friend and isn't contributing to this site, that's a no-no. Fatalerror has been doing this a lot longer and probably has a better feel for the process.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts