StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Suzuki VStrom ABS Adventure
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I want to get these UGLY orange linkages on the bottom of my bike powdercoated, and well, I might as well replace the bearings and what not in the linkages when they're done so that everything is in tip-top shape.

I've been googling for some kits to replace the bearings and seals but can't find any for the 2nd gen WeeStrom. Anyone know where to find them?

I own a 2013 VStrom 650 ABS Adventure, to be specific.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

These are what they look like... not the best look on a black, dark grey, red and white themed bike.

·
Registered
983 Posts
How many miles on the bike? The bearings typically last a long time unless you cross water a lot or ride in the winter with salted roads and then they get wet, lose lubrication and rust. These are not standard bearings and are only available from Suzuki. The needle bearings are 2,3,4 in the attached pic and the bearing races are 6,10,12,15 (Suzuki calls them spacers but they are really bearing races that mate with the needle bearings, #15 mates with a bearing pressed into the swing arm).

The needle bearings are press fit and difficult to get out/in without a bearing press. The #3 bearings need a blind bearing puller to get out and press to get in. Suzuki sells the whole shebang for $230! Because these bearings never rotate the races tend to get flat spots due to the small range of motion. Typically the needle bearings are fine and you can just replace the races and repack with waterproof grease like Bel-Rays. My guess is that unless you have a lot of miles you can just regrease them and be fine.

Reactions: ExhaustED

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So theoretically I can just take those orange pieces off after putting the tire on a paddock stand a the skidplate on a jack and be ok?

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
How many miles on the bike? The bearings typically last a long time unless you cross water a lot or ride in the winter with salted roads and then they get wet, lose lubrication and rust. These are not standard bearings and are only available from Suzuki. The needle bearings are 2,3,4 in the attached pic and the bearing races are 6,10,12,15 (Suzuki calls them spacers but they are really bearing races that mate with the needle bearings, #15 mates with a bearing pressed into the swing arm).

The needle bearings are press fit and difficult to get out/in without a bearing press. The #3 bearings need a blind bearing puller to get out and press to get in. Suzuki sells the whole shebang for $230! Because these bearings never rotate the races tend to get flat spots due to the small range of motion. Typically the needle bearings are fine and you can just replace the races and repack with waterproof grease like Bel-Rays. My guess is that unless you have a lot of miles you can just regrease them and be fine.

View attachment 282812
I bet a dozen doughnuts that these are not specific or avalaible only through Suzuki. Needle bearing are as readily avalaible as standard roller bearings. All you need it the size (just like roller bearing the size is on the outer bearing race) and a few seconds on the internet to gain you access to replacment bearings.

Needle bearing like these are easy enough to clean an re-grease in place. I simply clean the old grease out with aersol brake/part cleaner then put a dab of grease on a finger tip and start working the grease into the bearing like you a plucking a string repeatedly. Keep moving around the bearing and adding more grease as needed until its repacked.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Pretty unlikely to be worn very much. Clean them up good, degrease with paint thinner and then isopropyl alcohol and spritz some black paint on there. If you really want to go the extra mile, repack with grease as described by Perazzi.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks everyone for the replies. I didn’t realize that those orange wrench things weren’t actually connected to the rest of the linkage assembly or whatever it’s called where the bearings are located. I’ll have to get those off sometime next week. I’ll post updates here if I remember. Thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts