Strom Trooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of all my high school buddies, the last single one is getting married. Lets all say a prayer for him.
So, a bunch of us 30yr old dudes are coming from all over the country to have our last bachelor party blowout in May in Phoenix AZ. Instead of going to the airport and standing in line with all those savages, I'm taking 10 days off of work and blasting down on my Glee. Just wanted to see what you guys think about my route and if you had any advice.

My plan for the first day is to cover as much ground as possible on I-80 and I-70 heading west from Lincoln, NE. Not much to see for the 1st 8-9 hrs.
Anybody have any experience crossing the Rockies on I-70 in early May? I know the mountains can be tricky in the spring.

Turning off I-70 at Cisco, UT and following the Colorado River south on Hwy 128 to Moab. I'm pretty excited for that stretch.

From Moab, I'll take 191 and 163 to Monument Valley.
Then I plan to go to the Grand Canyon via 160 and 89.
64 south to Flagstaff and 89A to Sedona and cruise into Phoenix from there. (I've heard 89A is magnificent).

So, any experts know any must ride roads that I may have missed, famous places along the way, or any tips that might help along the way.

Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should add that I'm leaving early Sunday morning on May, 1 and plan to arrive Thursday afternoon May 5th..

·
Registered
56 Posts
Other than the Interstate portion of the route it sounds like fun. I've done all the roads from Moab south and you should have little problem with them that time of year other then the possibility of wind or a big temp swing one day... I'd just pack a warm riding jacket.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
128 from Cisco to Moab is a nice road, however this alternative route, while a bit longer is a better ride IMHO.
I suggest;
Get off I-70 at Grand Junction and go south on the 141 to Naturita, west on 90/46 to La Sal junction. South on 191 to Blanding, Ut. West on 95 to 261. South on 261 to Mexican Hat, then on to Monument Valley.
Monument Valley to Tuba city is a yawner...
Oak Creek Canyon is beautiful...89a to Prescott is a great road.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts