StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
They're great tires. Your image didn't post though. I'm on my second set and will be putting on a third :D

·
Registered
15,544 Posts
Thanks Downs. I may go in that route because it looks so ADV! I've gone through several sets of 705's
One of these days I'll join you for a back country San Diego camp, weather permitting.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'm pleased to see this post. I've just put an 804 on the front. I got 11,000 kms out of a TKC80 which wasn't as much as I'd hoped for, I got nearly 20,000 out of these on the front of a Yamaha xt660

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry about pic. Do not know how to post a pic on my iPhone.
These tires look really good, and have surprising great pavement traction. I swore by the 705s in the twisties. I'm thinking these will be close, with less humming. Very impressed so far.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Going to go with some of these next year. Been happy with the 705's in the past from a wear and on road performace aspect, but want a bit more bite in the dirt. Going to ride the TET down to West ByGawd in the spring and I think the 50/50 nature of the new Shinko Big Blocks will be just the ticket.

I ran some Kenda Big Blocks on my Aprilia Pegaso previously (now sold) and while their off road performance was all I could have asked for on a dual sport, they wore out way too quick, and that was just a li'l 650 thumper, not a man sized DL1000. Can't beat the Shinko prices with a big stick.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've been eye balling these tires but i'm worried about on road performance..

·
Registered
969 Posts
They're great tires. Your image didn't post though. I'm on my second set and will be putting on a third :D
Since your the only one that posted with a history using the 804/5's, how about some stats like weight, type of riding ....

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I've got video reivews on YouTube. I'll post them up shortly. But basically I ran a few sets of 705s before switching to these and I feel like I gave up nothing on the Street and gained a LOT on the dirt. 650 Strom. Rider weight around 180 to 200 depending on what time of year it is haha.

I got a hair over 8000 miles out of the rear and could have went 10 to 12 on the front but it was starting to wear the front knobs at a strange angle by 9k and I changed it out anyway. In the future I'll be chaning them as a set. One TKC80 rear costs as much as a SET of these.

They have a low maximum pressure of around 33PSI but I run mine at 28 psi or so and get better road performance out of them.

When I get on my real computer I'll link up the vids

Reactions: Lrobby99

·
Administrator
17,402 Posts
I may just have to give these bad boys a try, especially considering how much of a fan I am of the 705's.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I really like these a lot over the 705s. They IMO even ride smoother especially when new and are quieter. I didn't start getting the knobbie tire "bumps" until they were almost dead and it was mostly from the front tire. And if my experience on smaller bikes with knobbies is any indication it's simply from braking on the street and the knobs flexing.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
In my experience yes. But I wear earplugs or earbuds everytime I ride. Even with those you could still hear the 705s sometimes. NOt so far with the 804/5.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Thanks for the info and vids. Good stuff. I'm about 2K miles from replacing my 705's and will be trying these.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Since your the only one that posted with a history using the 804/5's, how about some stats like weight, type of riding ....

215 lbs heavy off road and peg scraping twisty rider. Have no fear in these tires. 3rd set. I'm sold.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I ride with two former Pro AMA #1 plated riders. I can keep up with them in the twisties. They stick as well as the 705s with less noise and better wear. Hard to believe, I know. I spooned then in for a trial ride, and was sold instantly. Shhh be quiet.... Do not word to get out... Price will be up to conti TKCs

1 - 20 of 37 Posts