StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Like a kid at Xmas, a new farkle to try out tomorrow: 1" raising links

Just received and installed my 7075 T6 1" taller dogbones from Burkhart Cycle. Good service from them as well, ordered and received in the mailbox in about 7 business days (they had to be cut). I can't wait to see how different it feels for comfort with the slightly forward lean and weight bias and how it steers with the rear end kicked up a bit.

Fun part was getting the bottom locking nut broken free. Thank you PB Blaster and breaker bar. Cleaned all the bolts, bushings, bearings and greased the hell out of it all with synthetic wheel bearing grease. Cleaned up the threads with a rethreading kit to knock out the gunk and it went back together smooth as silk. I like that the Valvoline synthetic wheel grease is black to start with, why wait for it to end up that way! :yesnod:

Kickstand may need to be extended a bit or cut and re-angled if there's room for that, have to do some measuring. Taking a welding class starting next week, may look for a used kickstand on ebay to play Mad Scientist with!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
133 miles later, just what the doctor ordered. The quicker steering is what I hoped for and is more in line with what I've been used to with street bikes.

Sidestand should be lengthened a bit as well, I'll work on that along with a larger foot as time permits.

·
Registered
83 Posts
This was the first thing I did to my bike...well worth it to me! And gives me back normal peg clearance with the richland ricks lowering adapters.

Oh yeah, I haven't touched my kickstand yet.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
133 miles later, just what the doctor ordered. The quicker steering is what I hoped for and is more in line with what I've been used to with street bikes.

Sidestand should be lengthened a bit as well, I'll work on that along with a larger foot as time permits.
Why not go the 'hockey puck' sidestand foot route?

OR

some similar type of mod?

You get a bigger foot and less lean all from one effort...

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I put new HEAVEY springs front and rear on mine, now it sits about 2" taller.I haven't done anything with the sidesatand yet but I intend to.I'm gonna weld a new foot under the stock one..

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I've been thinking about this mod for a while.

Is 1" taller enough to notice in a photo? If so, can you post one?

How about putting feet down at stoplights? I'm a tad tippy (32" inseam) when the preload is all the way up; wondering if 1" might be too much to be planted at the lights.

One more question: If I read it right elsewhere, 1" taller actually means the dogbones are 1" shorter. Is that right?

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My responses are below in your quote

It's noticeable as soon as you sit on the bike and standing next to it, no photo's as it's back in storage, got socked with snow yesterday.

How about putting feet down at stoplights? I'm a tad tippy (32" inseam) when the preload is all the way up; wondering if 1" might be too much to be planted at the lights.

It may be, hard for me to speculate as I'm north of 250 pounds and have a 35" inseam, taller seat heights are not an issue for me.

One more question: If I read it right elsewhere, 1" taller actually means the dogbones are 1" shorter. Is that right?

Not quite, since there's some mechanical advantage involved with the linkage, the dogbones are roughly 10-12mm shorter hole-to-hole.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts

I am also 6'1" with a 32" inseam, and the 5/8" raising links did the job for me. I think 1" would have been a bit too tall.

Raising links are a bit shorter, but the ratio is not 1:1 -- I think it's more like 3:1 -- in other words, they're about 1/3" shorter, which moves the rear of the bike 1".

My Vee's kickstand is wearing a hockey puck, which makes the angle just about perfect, and helps keep the beast from sinking into soft surfaces. However, I do not have a centerstand, so YMMV -- apparently attaching anything to the kickstand interferes with a centerstand.

Also, keep in mind that the stock shock spring is wayyyyyy too soft -- it won't even hold up the bike's weight correctly. If you have your shock rebuilt by Sasquatch or install a shock with a correct spring, the bike will sit significantly taller. It will also handle a hell of a lot better... :hurray:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts