StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Vendor
5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a few requests for a lightweight and compact tools to allow removing the wheels while on the road.

I have a few thoughts on this and have been given a few ideas, but I'm wondering what others are already using. If you have found a solution or want to provide input to a project please do so here.

·
Premium Member
2,023 Posts
I carry your 12mm hex nut tool and.........blasphemous I know........a 8 in crescent wrench that will open up just wide enough to accommodate the rear axle nut. I have only had to use it once on the road and I made sure that the jaws were adjusted as tight as possible to avoid slipping and rounding the nut off. At home I use 6 point sockets.

A special tool would be nice though, providing it was not too big/heavy.

Rod

·
Administrator
17,096 Posts
I trust ya Rick. :)

·
Vendor
5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
LMAO

It occurred to me (2 hours after reading this while walking around shopping) that I need to clarify my first post.

I have been approached separately about concepts for the wrench end of the tool and the leverage part of the tool. I myself was thinking about a tool or series of nesting tools that when used alone could act as a wrench for the front and back axles, tire spoons, wrench, and socket all in one. Something when assembled would provide the necessary torque for the rear axle nut and when disassembled could serve other purposes.

Not trying to sell $3 hex tools. LOL

Back to the subject: Since this is a universal need for all motorcyclist, unless the V-Strom poses some unique challenges I would expect there to already be something out there.

For example these:

from Tusk, https://www.jakewilson.com/p/4870/-/1191759/Tusk-Aluminum-Tire-Iron-with-Axle-Wrench-Kit-22mm-and-24mm?v=13211&gclid=CNzN2Le5uNECFUtNfgodJmUKuQ

Or these from Motion pro.

So I thought people might like to share their ideas, needs, and solutions.

And there might already be nesting tools I haven't heard about.

Edit: Just found another.

And then there is this tool with a size for the front and the back.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
You need 2 wrenches for the back right?

1 to take off the nut and the other to keep the axle from spinning.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Not sure why, but can't remember ever having to hold on to the axel to remove the nut. Least not sense I started using never seize on the nut..

·
Registered
292 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've never needed 2 wrenches to get the back off either. But that has always been at home with good sockets, a breaker bar and a torque wrench. I also grease the axle and dab the threads when they're out. I've been looking for a light box wrench to carry for emergencies but haven't found in 30 and 36mm yet. Flat open end wrenches are available but I imagine being roadside, covered in sweat, staring at a stripped nut. Strom nuts must be odd sizes.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
On the Vee, the axle can't spin.

My tool kit contains a nice laser-cut axle wrench intended for the KLR650. It has a 24mm hex for the rear wheel (same as needed for the DL650 and 1st-gen DL1000) and a 22mm hex for the KLR's front wheel. However, I don't think anyone is making these any more:

It's sturdy enough you can kick it to loosen a stubborn axle nut.

On the Vee/Wee, perhaps you could do something similar, but with a 19mm or 12mm wrench on the other end, and include a appropriate hex stub for removing the axle.

Not sure what sizes are needed for the 2nd-gen Vee...

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
I have your hex tool. I have a 22 box and 24 box wrench + extension thing that I thought came in tool kit. I could have got those somewhere else but they fit rear axle. also have 6 in adjustable and 12mm wrench in my tool kit that fit hex tool. I should be good. Tire spoons...I have that motion pro bead breaker/tire spoons.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I bought cheap box end wrenches at Home Depot for about $6 each. I then cut the open end off smoothed the edges and they double as tire hold downs when spooning on tires. I also have the axle adapter thingy. Setup is not light but it doesn't lighten you wallet too much either.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have had good luck with the stock tool kit's rear axle sized wrench and the little slide on extension. Works as long as you haven't over tightened the nut beforehand with a 'real' wrench.
I would like something like those tire iron/wrench combos better though.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
I don't know why you would carry tire irons unless you are carrying a spare tire.

Of course if it's the back tire you're going to need something to break the bead. :grin2:

Reactions: notacop

·
Premium Member
2,023 Posts
"Of course if it's the back tire you're going to need something to break the bead. "

If there are enough people around (at least 2) to help balance things, the sidestand can be used to break the bead. Even with the rear wheel off. Of course if you have a riding buddy, just use their bike's sidestand.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I don't know why you would carry tire irons unless you are carrying a spare tire.

Of course if it's the back tire you're going to need something to break the bead. :grin2:
I normally wouldn't take tire irons on a road tour but I'm planning a long trip in late May with my 2 boys, all of us on Stroms. We're going to do the Trans lab highway and Newfoundland in a clockwise rotation (over 3500 miles starting from Massachusetts, I imagine). They've decided that dad will carry all the tools and most of the spares and my oldest seems to think we should bring a pair of tires too (I'm not 100% on board with this yet).
I may agree to carry one spare rear tire, hence the tire irons. We'll see....

Reactions: Spec

·
Registered
685 Posts
I normally wouldn't take tire irons on a road tour but I'm planning a long trip in late May with my 2 boys, all of us on Stroms. We're going to do the Trans lab highway and Newfoundland in a clockwise rotation (over 3500 miles starting from Massachusetts, I imagine). They've decided that dad will carry all the tools and most of the spares and my oldest seems to think we should bring a pair of tires too (I'm not 100% on board with this yet).
You know, we do sell motorcycle tires in Canada! ?

I pack the motion pro 24mm / tire iron in case I need to adjust the chain. I can get the rear nut off, but it would be easier if I had a 6" extension...

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Brojon and Hank122

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
that's a remote stretch. what about a 19 in tube (for both wheels) and patches for inside tire. and of course we always carry plug kit/compressor/can of fix a flat.
course if a porcupine eats your tire one night at camp..........

·
Registered
108 Posts
I don't normally carry tire irons either but I'm hoping to do Baja California later this winter and will definitely see more of British Columbia this summer. There is a lot of beautifully remote space in BC and I think it would be wise to be prepared to fix a flat or be prepared to stay a while. Eh?

Plugs are no problem. A small 12v compressor is necessary. Inexpensive Slime one set the bead on one side before going kaput. Got the cycle pump and it works well but Cha-CHING! A tire patch should work, tubes definitely would. It's adding up. Need to get a tube or patch inside. The aluminum motion pro bead breaker has proven effective (with some effort) but I don't know if they have the oomph to get the last 8"s of rear tire back on the rim. Maybe the steel set would have been a better choice but too pricey to buy again. Add a couple of tire irons that I can really crank on. A lot of stuff I hope to never use and I still haven't gotten the nuts off. NERTS!

Something small in 30 and 36mm would be nice for the Vee2 guys.

·
Vendor
5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I also searched and can't find any tools that would fit the Vee2. Making a 30 and 36 mm aluminum box end wrench is easy.

I'll try to find my stock tool kit and see how we can do this without adding much weight. Anyone have a pic of the stock tool kit laid out?

·
Registered
859 Posts
that's a remote stretch. what about a 19 in tube (for both wheels) and patches for inside tire. and of course we always carry plug kit/compressor/can of fix a flat.
course if a porcupine eats your tire one night at camp..........
Yup - I carry a Stop & Go plugging tool kit and a Sparrow compressor under the seat that has saved my bacon several times now. The Stop & Go also came with a large CO2 inflator that I pack for backup.
If only the construction people kept track of their nails and such... <grumble...grumble>

1 - 20 of 74 Posts