StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of mounting some Ebay Cree LED lights on my lower front forks.
Anyone do this and have any problems with durability or just to much knocking
around. Have a good location but worried they will not last. Thanks.

·
Registered
15,608 Posts
I used the factory reflector mounts to get my Wally MArt LED lights mounted. They work fine and my buddies tell me they can really see me in their mirrors, which is the result I was looking for.

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
I used the factory reflector mounts to get my Wally MArt LED lights mounted. They work fine and my buddies tell me they can really see me in their mirrors, which is the result I was looking for.
Would you post a link to the exact ones. I'm planning on installing some. Thanks

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
I have Denali 1's mounted on the front fender bolts. I located them there primarily to create a discernible triangle of light that makes it easier for drivers to see and determine my closing speed. Anyway, the lights have held up very well but they do take a hit every time I lay the bike down (low speed fall-overs in the dirt). The brackets (L-shaped thingies) would bend and I'd bend them back. Eventually one of them broke. (Thank you zip-ties). Easy to fix and a small price to pay for the benefit.

·
Administrator
17,518 Posts
I have Denali 1's mounted on the front fender bolts. I located them there primarily to create a discernible triangle of light that makes it easier for drivers to see and determine my closing speed. Anyway, the lights have held up very well but they do take a hit every time I lay the bike down (low speed fall-overs in the dirt). The brackets (L-shaped thingies) would bend and I'd bend them back. Eventually one of them broke. (Thank you zip-ties). Easy to fix and a small price to pay for the benefit.
You sure as heck paid for those Denali lights that is for certain.....yikes. :yikes:

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have some cheap ebay LEDs like this on the forks of my 2011 DL650. Got them for $20 at the time. They are only for conspicuity, not for driving beams.
They worked well for about a year until this last long trip when one stopped working.
Time for another cheap $20 pair.

·
Administrator
17,518 Posts
How did you mount those motorcycle guy? Those are pretty sweet by the way, especially for the coin.

·
Registered
15,608 Posts
Golly, I should clean the garage. I found the box to the Platinum Burners led series by Optronics LS204RW.
Now I know why I saved the box and receipt, 3 year warranty!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
so, how did you mount them?

I have some cheap ebay LEDs like this on the forks of my 2011 DL650. Got them for $20 at the time. They are only for conspicuity, not for driving beams.
They worked well for about a year until this last long trip when one stopped working.
Time for another cheap $20 pair.
so, how did you mount them?

·
Registered
714 Posts
I mounted led lights via the reflector bolts on the lower legs of my forks and they lasted two rides. The first ride out on all pavement was fine. But the 2nd ride was miles of gravel/dirt and when I got home, only 1 of the lights remained and the other was completely missing aside from the remnants of the wiring flapping in the breeze.

I swapped to a under fairing light bar from Twisted Throttle and it has passed the test of time.

IMO if you ride pavement, lights on the forks are fine. If you ADV off road, they will not last, ESPECIALLY following other riders (ie chunked rocks).......

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've mounted lights on my forks on several bikes now.
Make an L-shape bracket and use an existing bolt. Run the wires down the back of the fork with enough slack to not get tugged when the forks extend or the bars are turned full lock in both directions. If you tie the wires to the brake hoses you're usually fine.
Reflector bolts are ideal as they don't affect anything else. Brake caliper bolts are less than ideal but I've used those in the past as well.

·
Registered
248 Posts
How are these wired-in to the bikes electrics?

Being such low draw, can you simply tap into an existing wire that's live when the ignition is on, or should you power them via a relay?

I like the idea of using the reflector mount, but I assume, for reasons of legality, that you need to keep the reflectors in situ?

Yeah, running the wiring along the brake lines is a good solution - if they're not being strained, neither should the wires.

·
Registered
158 Posts
For power I added a switched relay with 12-14ga wire up under the fairing (I don't remember which). It will actually handle a lot more amperage than these LEDs draw but I wanted to leave my options open for more lighting or accessories in the future.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Those are great! I'm considering the same. What kind of beam do they have? Is it a wide flood / fog pattern, or driving. Could I potentially point it down the road for highway visibility?

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
These are the 30 degree spot. Mine are set up straight ahead for recognition. The put a good bit of light on the road as well. At night they are a somewhat blinding to on coming cars. So mine are on a switch.

·
Administrator
17,518 Posts
Jus got my Amazon lights today, they will be wired through a PC-8 and mounted on my forks. Pics to follow for sure. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts