StromTrooper banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rims (06) have lightening holes in the spokes and the rims. In muddy or loose conditions these holes have the potential of filling up with mud/debris and
will pick up serious weight not withstanding the cleaning problems. Has anyone attempted filling the rim/spokes with foam filler and taping or sealing the holes to avoid this potential problem? A tertiary benefit would be better air flow through the wheels. Foam sealant is extremely light and is used in aviation floats.

Thanks for any input,
Gary

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I never had an issue, if you're in that deep though, you may wanna consider aviation floats of some sort.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
My rims (06) have lightening holes in the spokes and the rims. In muddy or loose conditions these holes have the potential of filling up with mud/debris and
will pick up serious weight not withstanding the cleaning problems. Has anyone attempted filling the rim/spokes with foam filler and taping or sealing the holes to avoid this potential problem? A tertiary benefit would be better air flow through the wheels. Foam sealant is extremely light and is used in aviation floats.

Thanks for any input,
Gary
The holes aren't there to lighten anything. They're there to allow airflow and drainage. They're also left-overs from the casting process.

Why do you assume they're there to lighten the wheel?

Feel free to close them off if you want to, but I don't see the point.

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Duct tape ;)

They certainly do pick up mud and dust, and the wheel balance gets pretty funky when lumps of mud start falling out - though the vibration usually speeds the process.

I usually try to find a water crossing towards the end of a ride, or just hose them out when I'm parked for the night. Once the big bits fall or wash out the rest is just annoying for the continual rain of dirt when you clean the bike.

So - as above, yeah, it annoys me too, but simply cleaning it seems to be the best answer.

Pete

1 - 4 of 4 Posts