1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
That is a sweet setup, the ability to wire the light several ways to operate with the switch is cool. It's a shame that you have to add an external resistor to get to 5V for the LED.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a shame that you have to add an external resistor to get to 5V for the LED.
That just makes it more versatile depending on your supply voltage. Besides, it isn't a big deal to put one in the supply lead at the switch terminal and heat shrink the whole caboodle. I can think of a whole lot of applications that have nothing to do with 12V vehicle power.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
That just makes it more versatile depending on your supply voltage. Besides, it isn't a big deal to put one in the supply lead at the switch terminal and heat shrink the whole caboodle. I can think of a whole lot of applications that have nothing to do with 12V vehicle power.
...but do they require the waterproofness (is that a word?) that this switch possesses?

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Most of Limor/Adafruit's products (which are awesome!) are targeted to electronics and DIY computing enthusiasts, and 5V is much more common than 12V for those applications.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
I understand that, but most of those installations don't really need to be waterproof do they?

It still looks like a great switch!

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
I understand that, but most of those installations don't really need to be waterproof do they?

It still looks like a great switch!

You're right, probably most don't, but I guess there's enough demand or they wouldn't be selling them. They sell some waterproof enclosures too.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Hey Mr. McGee,
Can you tell what resistor that I would need for doing this and where a good place to buy one may be?

Duh! Nevermind, the info is right there with the switch info!

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
That is a sweet setup, the ability to wire the light several ways to operate with the switch is cool. It's a shame that you have to add an external resistor to get to 5V for the LED.
Can't see what shame has to do with it? :confused:
Furthermore, the 470 ohm resistor means that the current is limited to a maximum of 25mA, a low current (EDIT: There is an internal resistor therefore the maximum current is actually lower, 20mA).

As written my tmcgee, a heat shrink can be easily put over the resistor for a very lost cost and effort.

·
Registered
228 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tmcgee, i know this is a really old post, but was wondering if you could answer a quick question (assuming you ever see this comment): Are these switches easy to press with thick/heated gloves on?
I don't know. I bought a few, but have not used them on the bike yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts