StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A couple of years ago I stumbled on the msgroup site. I found hours worth of useful reading that really helped both my wife and me transition from a dirt riders to thinking as street riders. Information is there in little bite size articles.

I still like to revisit the site from time to time to brush up and remind myself of things I may have forgotten. I recently found myself out on the site again and thought others could benefit from the site. Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
thanks for the link DD

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I can see some otherwise billable hours being spent here.

·
Registered
856 Posts
wow. there is some good stuff in there.

i know where i'm gonna be wasting some time!

thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Great info, but his writing needs help -- often when trying to explain something, he actually makes it less clear.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
After 2 hrs of random sampling, I couldn't find anything I definately disagreed with him on. He gets to join my very short list of book marks. Thanks for the link.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Posters be careful though. It's the most toughly moderated site I've ever seen. I got threatened with banishment once because I said "I think a Gold Wing is a two wheeled car", and I am a site Mentor. The site owner gave me hell about all bikes being accepted without disparagement but I think the crux of the matter is he owns a Wing. The "I think" wasn't clearly enough an expression of a personal opinion for him.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Posters be careful though. It's the most toughly moderated site I've ever seen. I got threatened with banishment once because I said "I think a Gold Wing is a two wheeled car", and I am a site Mentor. The site owner gave me hell about all bikes being accepted without disparagement but I think the crux of the matter is he owns a Wing. The "I think" wasn't clearly enough an expression of a personal opinion for him.
Then I bet they really wouldn't like my opinion of big touring bikes with plush seats, stereos, arm rests, etc., as couches on wheels.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have actually went over this site over the winter time, and there is some really good points made in a lot of the articles, and in others, things that will make you think.

I do also think that Gold Wings are cars with two wheels. Do they come with air conditioning yet? I know they have everything else.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I have actually went over this site over the winter time, and there is some really good points made in a lot of the articles, and in others, things that will make you think.

I do also think that Gold Wings are cars with two wheels. Do they come with air conditioning yet? I know they have everything else.
I think they are adding the hot tub and radar in the 2011 model :green_lol:

thanks for the link, even more of a time waster I don't need

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After 2 hrs of random sampling, I couldn't find anything I definately disagreed with him on.
I don't know if I've ever found anything to disagree with, but I don't always do things the way suggested. When I am different from him it gives me a good opportunity to analyze why I do what I do and is it the best thing for me. I like the site, it makes me think and I definitely learn from it.

... and I am a site Mentor.
You really are everywhere, aren't you? I had a question about some electronics and I pulled up a random electronics forum and there you were with many thousands of posts to your name helping people over there, too. Thanks for hanging out here with us. You broad range of life experience benefits us in so many way.

·
38,048 Posts
After 2 hrs of random sampling, I couldn't find anything I definately disagreed with him on. He gets to join my very short list of book marks. Thanks for the link.
James is great on Physics and traffic law but some mechanical stuff is out of his range. He thinks the steering head bearing preload acts as a damper for example. With his knowledge of physics being so good I was really surprised about that, and he could play better with others.

Dirt_Dad,

You missed the woodworking forum. That was years ago though. Anyhow, passing on what I know is my job now that I've been retired for 10 years. I only post at the DirecTV tech support site for electronics now. I used to be a regular at AVSForum but it's been years since I've done much there.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf
... and I am a site Mentor.

DirtDad said: "You really are everywhere, aren't you? I had a question about some electronics and I pulled up a random electronics forum and there you were with many thousands of posts to your name helping people over there, too. Thanks for hanging out here with us. You broad range of life experience benefits us in so many way."

+1 to what DirtDad said. I know I have been the recipient of sage advice. Please add my thanks to GreyWolf as well.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I only post at the DirecTV tech support site for electronics now. I used to be a regular at AVSForum but it's been years since I've done much there.
Yep, that's what it was, DirecTV. I was looking up something and shocked to see a familiar face...or name. Your many contributions are appreciated.

·
38,048 Posts
Yep, that's what it was, DirecTV. I was looking up something and shocked to see a familiar face...or name. Your many contributions are appreciated.
I have more posts there than I have here. In fact, I just had my name drawn at random from about five volunteers attending a phone conference about 3D TV. As a result, I've been re-configuring my bedroom because they sent me a new TV so I can answer questions about their 3D offerings. It was too big to fit where the old set was. I needed some incentive because I was getting a bit burned out. Volunteering at a site for a commercial operation draws a lot of complainers instead of just people looking for help.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've been re-configuring my bedroom because they sent me a new TV so I can answer questions about their 3D offerings. It was too big to fit where the old set was.
That seems like a pretty good problem to have. I'm sure you'll earn that TV many times over. Actually, I'm pretty certain you already did.

·
Cowboys aint easy to love
2,113 Posts
Me -- I like advice just like DirtDad offered it: here it is, it was useful to me, try it if you like, I'm just sharing... That works -- just like we were supposed to be taught in kiddiegarter!

I'm reading a decent 2009 novel by Clive Cussler named The Wrecker -- about early 20th Century railroading development. BTD, are you listening out there?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts