StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, let me get this out there up front. I'm colorblind and have avoided wiring at all costs. I used to install car stereos by fuse - if it blew, I'd try another wire (Only on my own car, of course). I've looked at the wiring diagrams for the taillight on the Wee's, and they label the wires as being grey, black, and white... simple enough. My question is, which is the brake "trigger" and which is the ground? The headlamps (Have a modulator on the way for those, too) seem like they'll be pretty simple. Any advice on this would be appreciated. I've already decided the extra work in "disassembling" the tail end will be worth avoiding headaches trying to get to the wiring. Thanks, kids!

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
The schematic I have shows the brake / tail light wires as being gray, black with a white trace, and white with a black trace. The one that is white with a black trace goes to the brake light switch.

I did remove the rear fender to install mine. Once you figure out how it only takes about 5 minutes. Remove the luggage rack (4 10mm bolts). A couple of pop-rivets on each side and one screw at the front to remove the two body panels (that have the "DL650" stickers on them), one hex-bolt on each side at the rear of the fender. Pull the fender back and there is a wiring connector on the left side. Disconnect it and the whole fender will come off.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Tail light hot is gray, brake light hot is white with a black stripe, and ground is black with a white stripe.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
I'm cheating, I gave my brake light modulator to the tech when I dropped my Wee off for its break in service Saturday. Am expecting a quote from them for the HL modulator tomorrow.
And I am an electrical engineer! :D

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Installed a Back-Off brake modulator without tearing apart the tail section. Find the tail light wiring on the left side of the bike. Test light will determine which is brake, ground and tail light. The wiring is in a protective sheath. Mounted the Back-Off unit to a flat spot with supplied two sided tape and attached the wires according to instructions. All I removed was the seat and side cover. Piece of cake.
What kind of headlight modulator are you getting ??

·
38,048 Posts
Ground is Black/White, brake is White/Black and tail is Brown in the sheath. The color code only changes from brown in the sheath to gray aft of the tail connector.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, guys! Got the BackOff! brake modulator in-hand. I'll install that this weekend. I have the Diamond Star headlight modulator coming in the next week or so. I will be seen, dammit!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I'd love to hear some hints, tricks, or gotchas associated with the Diamond Star installation. I'm planning on adding one of those too. One of the instructors at the MSF class had a headlight modulator on his Triumph and it was damn irritating, but impossible to overlook. I want one.

Edit... the modulator, not the Triumph. :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ordered the dual-headlight kit for it, but I'm really thinking about just doing one so it's not quite so annoying to other drivers.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
you start pumping both lamps and you are going to look like a cop coming down the road. Believe me, folks will pay attention to that. :D
Having been hit by an oncoming left turner, I dont mind annoying one bit.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
you start pumping both lamps and you are going to look like a cop coming down the road. Believe me, folks will pay attention to that. :D
Having been hit by an oncoming left turner, I dont mind annoying one bit.
I'd love to find one that alternates the lamps. That would be very hard to miss.

·
38,048 Posts
And very illegal.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'd love to hear some hints, tricks, or gotchas associated with the Diamond Star installation. I'm planning on adding one of those too. One of the instructors at the MSF class had a headlight modulator on his Triumph and it was damn irritating, but impossible to overlook. I want one.

Edit... the modulator, not the Triumph. :)
Best post I've read in months. Of course, I'm a recovering Triumph owner, having been "sober" for almost ten years now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My concern with the pulsating headlight is someone thinking you are blinking your headlight to let them pull out in front of you. I ride with a friend that has one on a Ultra classic.:???:

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
My opinion is get the modulator on both headlights. With only one modulating a cager twit might think it is your signal light. Could spoil your whole day. Finally found out what my bike looks like coming down the road with a modulator. Met a couple Stroms today with them. Definitely noticeable but not to the point of blinding anyone. Now that I have actually seen a modulated Strom coming at me I am even more in favor of them for safety.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Oh ya, before I forget. Have the Kisan unit in the Strom and a DiamondStar modulator in Lynda's bike. Kisan is "zero" effort to install and the other is a two on a scale of ten for difficulty. My kind of farkle.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
I suppose we/I are looking for peace of mind here. Having gone without a headlight modulator and having a mid 90's honda accord ruin my nice mid October commute I am willing to take the chance that someone might think my modulating HL is a signal to cut in front of me. What ever the case, I dont know if the on edge feeling I get every time I confront the left signaling oncoming car will ever go away, even if I had a 2 million candlepower Maxa-Beam pulsing out front.
Wonder if statistics are kept on modulating HL vs non Modulating HL wrecks.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Oh ya, before I forget. Have the Kisan unit in the Strom and a DiamondStar modulator in Lynda's bike. Kisan is "zero" effort to install and the other is a two on a scale of ten for difficulty. My kind of farkle.
So let me ask you this (and this is an honest question, not trying to be a smartazz) is the difference in installation ease worth the $100 difference in price? Or does the Kisan work that much better?

The Kisan looks like the more elegant solution, but the price difference is "owch".

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
LarryB, both units work the same. Government legislation and all that stuff. Is the Kisan worth all that extra cash ?? Was at the time as I wanted to avoid any messing around and cutting wires etc. Actually the DiamondStar unit is easy to install with minimum effort. Would do the DS thing again and save some cash for gas.
Both units have some sort of adjustment for sensitivity but I just left them at the default setting.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts