StromTrooper banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2008 V-Strom DL1000
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my brother took my bike, 2008 dl1000, out for a short ride and said my front end feels way to light. So I did what he did and got her rolling about 50 mph and lightly jiggled the handlebars back and forth. It feels as if the front tire is on ice. Although the bike only has 13,000 mile on it I suppose the rear shock could be worn and sagging more than normal. Fork springs could be shot. Or the front needs to be lowered to put more weight up front? Ideas anyone?
I am looking at TouraTech for suspension upgrades, fork springs and rear shock. Thoughts on that?

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
Common thing to do is raise the forks in the tree.

·
Registered
07DL1K
326 Posts
I have an 07 and I agree the front end feels too light at speed. I've read that the front body work creates significant lift at freeway speeds, and I wonder if that's part of it. One day I might try raising the front forks in the clamps a bit.

·
Registered
2008 V-Strom DL1000
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have an 07 and I agree the front end feels too light at speed. I've read that the front body work creates significant lift at freeway speeds, and I wonder if that's part of it. One day I might try raising the front forks in the clamps a bit.
Common thing to do is raise the forks in the tree.

·
Registered
843 Posts
The faring does lighten the front end at ridiculously low speeds; at triple digits its more like flying than riding.

Stock shock and fork springs are setup for 165Lb rider.

Adding preload to the rear shock may help (if you have any left to add), if you don't want to raise the forks (which lowers the already low clearance under the bike).

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
You need to start with setting the sag on your bike for your weight.

This should be done on all modern bikes it can make a huge difference and can tell you a lot about the bikes suspension.

You may find the springs totally unsuitable for you ?

raising the fork tubes can put more weight on the front but it will also make it turn quicker so that can make the front feel lighter, the opposite to what you are looking for.

When I got my Wee I thought the front felt distant, not where it should be, raising the fork tubes got me comfortable with the front, lifting the rear finished the job.

Have a good look at your steering head bearings they could be out of sepc & tiers will play a huge part, look for odd wear patterns and check your pressures.

Reactions: EdmoBros

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
You need to start with setting the sag on your bike for your weight.

This should be done on all modern bikes it can make a huge difference and can tell you a lot about the bikes suspension.

You may find the springs totally unsuitable for you ?

raising the fork tubes can put more weight on the front but it will also make it turn quicker so that can make the front feel lighter, the opposite to what you are looking for.

When I got my Wee I thought the front felt distant, not where it should be, raising the fork tubes got me comfortable with the front, lifting the rear finished the job.

Have a good look at your steering head bearings they could be out of sepc
Feel lighter? The issue with the dl1000 is that the fairing makes the front end literally come off the ground.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
It should not be the fairing at 50 as described in his first post.

Anybody that has not set their sag is a fool.

It is the greatest safety improvement you can make and it's free.

Reactions: TinMan88

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
It should not be the fairing at 50 as described in his first post.

Anybody that has not set their sag is a fool.

It is the greatest safety improvement you can make and it's free.
50 holding the bars still true. Intentionally jiggling them, it'll feel squirrelly. The bike gets noticably light at about 65 holding the bars still and downright spooky above that or into a headwind. Head on gusts are even worse.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
At 65 I would start to give some blame to the fairing and baggage not at 50 like he describes.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Mine gets pretty light around 130.

·
Registered
14 Posts
In addition to setting front/rear sag and ride height, you might check that your tires have correct air pressure and are not badly worn. I imagine you've done that. This seems like a good time to preach the virtues of adding a fork brace. On my '05, it noticeably reduced fork flex and improved front end feedback.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
So my brother took my bike, 2008 dl1000, out for a short ride and said my front end feels way to light. So I did what he did and got her rolling about 50 mph and lightly jiggled the handlebars back and forth. It feels as if the front tire is on ice. Although the bike only has 13,000 mile on it I suppose the rear shock could be worn and sagging more than normal. Fork springs could be shot. Or the front needs to be lowered to put more weight up front? Ideas anyone?
I am looking at TouraTech for suspension upgrades, fork springs and rear shock. Thoughts on that?
Sounds normal for this bike. It is NOT a sport bike chassis & forks. If your brother uses that as a benchmark, of course he would say that. Rule 1. Don't wiggle it. Guide the bike. Be fair here Most all bikes with tubes up forks did this to some degree. As Rolex said, Set the sag correctly with the handy knob thingy. I find it a narrow window but within guidelines. I weigh 190 and I don't bottom either end like I need aftermarket.and I go plenty fast at times. (my Vee a 2012, gen 1) 19" wheel is party to this too, as is contact patch and tire profile.
Thats not to say I think this suspension is great. It is not. I think you can ride it - or spend some bucks and put quality parts on it. The worst units I test rode was on a Honda VFR1200x ,with a $15000 asking price. Felt like wooden wheels on an oxcart. (sorry Dave)

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I weighed my 1050 for curiosity and to look at stronger springs. My front end was 150kg, rear 250kg. My 650 will be roughly the same, just way freaking lighter. Explains why you eat two rear tires to one front.
100HP has nothing to do with it. Actually the leftover chain spooge lends a zesty aftertaste.:giggle: with notes of pear and carbon black....

·
Registered
2008 V-Strom DL1000
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sounds normal for this bike. It is NOT a sport bike chassis & forks. If your brother uses that as a benchmark, of course he would say that. Rule 1. Don't wiggle it. Guide the bike. Be fair here Most all bikes with tubes up forks did this to some degree. As Rolex said, Set the sag correctly with the handy knob thingy. I find it a narrow window but within guidelines. I weigh 190 and I don't bottom either end like I need aftermarket.and I go plenty fast at times. (my Vee a 2012, gen 1) 19" wheel is party to this too, as is contact patch and tire profile.
Thats not to say I think this suspension is great. It is not. I think you can ride it - or spend some bucks and put quality parts on it. The worst units I test rode was on a Honda VFR1200x ,with a $15000 asking price. Felt like wooden wheels on an oxcart. (sorry Dave)
Thanks for the input. I’m sure it will be fine. I will set the sag and go for a long day ride and see how it goes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts