StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.Here's what I'm thinking.To bypass the human factor.The Wee I brought as modularly headlights.Eliminate the modularly headlight and use the system to Do this.What if I took the sensor circuit to energize the 30 amp relay to cutoff one Hi beam during the day and back ON at night.The reason is I need all the Watts I can get......Tia Bob

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
+1 on Eastern Beaver, just got my relay kit today, this guy makes awsome stuff! VERY high quality, much better than factory, and got it less than a week!! He's in Japan, "Far Eastern Beaver" would be a better name, but he's the best I've ever seen, maybe Toyota can will sub him out some work! Cheers--BB

·
Registered
97 Posts
+2 on Eastern Beaver stuff. I installed a hi/lo headlight cutoff switch to save some watts when I use my electric jacket liner and grip heaters.

·
Registered
18 Posts
which switch did u use? figured Id get the off/low/hi for further lighting options down the road? this seems like a pretty simple switch that I cud do myself tho... what makes it so great? just the mount switch combo?

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Using a light sensor to control a headlight will result in flickering at dawn/dusk or when riding in and out of deep shadow. Better to just use a switch.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Using a light sensor to control a headlight will result in flickering at dawn/dusk or when riding in and out of deep shadow. Better to just use a switch.
I would think there is a built in delay to eliminate flickering if it's built specifically for automotive use.

·
Registered
178 Posts
be careful with eastern beaver. I just ordered the cutoff kit and at check out it came to $711.00 :jawdrop: It appears there is a $20 min. instead of letting you know or charging 20 bucks. my shipping and handling was like 675.00.
2 When I emailed them I was told about the min. order and once I got over 20 dollars the shipping rates would be more in line. If someone processed without paying attention you would get a big suprise..:headbang:

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
I have been trying to understand our electrical system in hopes of figuring out how to make it more reliable/powerful. My current thinking is.

Electrical System on our bike in particular is a balancing act.

It grew organically and only works reliably when all the elements are in balance. The load "headlights" etc. are part of this balance.

If you drastically lower the load the R/R will have to dissipate a lot of extra power now.

Equally if you increase the load a great deal the stator will work harder and run hotter.

So be careful, if you KNOW you are replacing the headlight load with another fine. Example 1 headlight off and full heated gear on

·
Registered
672 Posts
I have Eastern Beavers headlight cut out switch, simple install. I use it only in the winter when running electric jacket linner, heated grips, GPS with built in XM radio, radar detector and while riding with others CB radio, and then only in heavy slow or stop and go traffic when my voltage readout dips below 12.6v.

·
Premium Member
4,177 Posts
The most common accident for motorcyclists is the left hand turner where they claim they "never saw him". I don't think disconnecting one of the headlights is a great solution to gain more electrical power. Why not just put on an extra sweater?

If your taken out because they didn't see you, that heated jacket isn't going to be much good is it. Safety first.

The dual headlights is one of the reasons i like the Strom. Provides great visibility. I don't even feel i need a modulator with these lights. My old cruiser had a single headlight and i had to modulate it to be seen.

This is my opinion of course. I don't own any heated gear and stay warm down to freezing. Maybe you ride in much colder temps.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
You could sell me on ONE HID light as more visible.

I have been running a PWM controller and gerbing jacket / liner so far so good

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
A second headlight won't do much for "see me" safety. One headlight and two running lights mounted low and on each side to create a triangle of light are better than two close together headlights in daylight. At night, two headlights are best for "see you" safety along with the running lights. I kill the left headlight in the daytime on very cold days but still have four running lights available.

·
Registered
259 Posts
How about wiring your own relays for the headlights add a switch to the headlights which will allow the sending of the power for the hi beams to power your heated gear (wire the relay so that when the switch is off power is restored to the hi beam circuit, when the switch is on the power comes to the heated gear accessory plug.....???

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
How about wiring your own relays for the headlights add a switch to the headlights which will allow the sending of the power for the hi beams to power your heated gear (wire the relay so that when the switch is off power is restored to the hi beam circuit, when the switch is on the power comes to the heated gear accessory plug.....???
The light has to be off to save power. It doesn't matter where you tap the system to get power. The high beams don't take any power when they are off. Figure you are likely to be cutting off a headlight only in daytime. Running one low beam and cutting the other is the best power savings.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts