StromTrooper banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to replace dog bones to lower my wee 1 inch but can't quite figure out how to lift the bike off the ground since it's got exhaust running underneath it and I don't have center stand. what are my options?

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
I plan to replace dog bones to lower my wee 1 inch but can't quite figure out how to lift the bike off the ground since it's got exhaust running underneath it and I don't have center stand. what are my options?
A car scissor jack under the engine will do it but - have someone standing by to balance the bike.

To remove the bolts you need to be able to lever the rear wheel up a little to unweight the bolts, I've used a crowbar and a block of wood and (today ;) ) a brick and a shovel. The catch is you'll rock the bike doing that, hence the need for a catcher.

Pete

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
A car scissor jack under the engine will do it but - have someone standing by to balance the bike.

To remove the bolts you need to be able to lever the rear wheel up a little to unweight the bolts, I've used a crowbar and a block of wood and (today ;) ) a brick and a shovel. The catch is you'll rock the bike doing that, hence the need for a catcher.

Pete
Er, sorry, under the metal that the dog bones attach to. If you want something more stable, get some long bolts that'll screw into the centre-stand mount holes and use two car jacks. (Try a wrecker, they usually sell them cheap).

Pete

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
I have used some rope and a ladder to help sturdy my bike. My 10' ladder is wide enough to to go over the rear. Or while in the Garage I'd use the rafters and rope. Yeah it looked stupid, but at least I didn't need to pick the bike up.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I use a hydraulic floor jack on the skidplate to elevagte it and then I'll place floor jacks under the engine guards on either side.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I tie a rope around the rear carrier and then use a come-along clipped to an eye hook placed in one of the exposed ceiling joists in the garage. Works for the front as well.

David

·
Registered
25 Posts
lifting bike off ground

somewhere on here i saw a post about taking (i think)a 3/8 inch rod through the hole in the bottom the engine case.and lifting w/ a jack and blocks of wood. works good for me and very stable.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Everyone's answering the wrong question here... if all you're doing is replacing the dog bones, all you need is a small hydraulic or scissor jack under the bottom suspension link. You can use the scissor jack from a nearby car.

Put the bike on the kickstand. Place a strap on the front brake lever to lock it in place so the bike doesn't roll. Break the nuts loose.

Place the jack under the suspension link and raise the jack until it juuuust starts to take the weight. It won't take much force, and both tires will remain on the ground.

Remove the bolts and the old dog bones (you may need to finagle the jack a bit in order to remove the tension and get the bolts out). Inspect and grease everything before reassembly.

If you're installing new links that are shorter (raising links) you'll need to jack it up a bit. If you're installing lowering links, you'll need to lower it just a bit. Careful with the lowering if you're using a hydraulic jack -- the valves on some jacks are a bit abrupt.

Very easy and safe. I've done this several times.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I have one for sale for a 650. PM me if interested.
I have one just like yours. Works well. The only hitch is that you have to have a motorcycle jack to mate with it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Everyone's answering the wrong question here... if all you're doing is replacing the dog bones, all you need is a small hydraulic or scissor jack under the bottom suspension link. You can use the scissor jack from a nearby car.

Put the bike on the kickstand. Place a strap on the front brake lever to lock it in place so the bike doesn't roll. Break the nuts loose.

Place the jack under the suspension link and raise the jack until it juuuust starts to take the weight. It won't take much force, and both tires will remain on the ground.

Remove the bolts and the old dog bones (you may need to finagle the jack a bit in order to remove the tension and get the bolts out). Inspect and grease everything before reassembly.

If you're installing new links that are shorter (raising links) you'll need to jack it up a bit. If you're installing lowering links, you'll need to lower it just a bit. Careful with the lowering if you're using a hydraulic jack -- the valves on some jacks are a bit abrupt.

Very easy and safe. I've done this several times.
Now this is the answer I was looking for :thumbup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts