StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a heck of a time getting my bike on the center stand. It has lowered wishbones on it, and i just don't weigh enough. I have managed to get it on the stand a few times, but its a struggle. I might try backing it onto a 2X4 next time.

I was thinking of putting my jack under it, but my bike has a Belly pan, and it looks like i would have to remove that before i could put a jack on it. Is that correct? Or is there some magical way to lift these bikes? the only place i can see to put a jack is under the engine since there is no frame or anything.

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
The feet of the centerstand are at an angle that is more acute than if the bike had the taller stock links. To overcome that, I'd suggest that you back the rear, or front wheel onto a small 1/4 or 1/2 piece of wood [4"x4" piece], which would allow the centerstand to operate more effectively [doesn't have to lift the bike upwards as much].

SW Motech centerstands [I have one] are renowned for their ease of use, probably because they are a bit? shorter than Suzuki's factory accessory item. This has also garnered some criticism of being too easy to use, for on steep inclines some riders have reported their bikes have accidentally rolled off the centerstand - rare, but I'm mindful, but not concerned. My SWM is remarkably easy to use.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hold the centerstand down with your left foot and lift with the right hand while pressing down on the left foot. You'll add valuable leverage when you lift across your body. Make sure both feet of the center stand are touching the ground before lifting. If you're straining, you're not doing it correctly.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw in that other thread there was a guy that weighed a lot less then i do, and he said he had no problems, so i guess its just my technique.

After i wrote this i went down and was able to get it on the center stand after a few tries.

I was thinking of leaning a 2X4 on the center stand peg to give my foot more room, but not sure that would help with this. I also thought maybe installing a pulley on the roof to help lift the bike might help, but that seems silly. lol

I wasn't able to back it onto a 2X4 due to lack of momentum, but could create a small ramp up onto one i guess.

I will just have to figure it out.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Premium Member
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yea, that video makes it looks so easy. Maybe i should record myself trying to do it, and you guys can tell me what i'm doing wrong?

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Oh yea, that video makes it looks so easy. Maybe i should record myself trying to do it, and you guys can tell me what i'm doing wrong?
I had a tough time until I watched this. Making sure the bike is balanced on the center stand, and the leg/arm scissor motion is the key. My 5'4" 110LB wife can do it using this video's instruction.

·
38,104 Posts
I just tried it left footed. It felt very awkward. I'd say left foot-right arm would be cross body and that hurts leverage. I'm used to putting all my body weight on the pedal. I couldn't do it using my left foot on the pedal. With my right foot on the pedal, I can get my left foot entirely off the ground so all my weight goes on the pedal. Maybe people feel more at ease using their dominant leg. I punt with my right leg.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I just tried it left footed. It felt very awkward. I'd say left foot-right arm would be cross body and that hurts leverage. I'm used to putting all my body weight on the pedal. I couldn't do it using my left foot on the pedal. With my right foot on the pedal, I can get my left foot entirely off the ground so all my weight goes on the pedal. Maybe people feel more at ease using their dominant leg. I punt with my right leg.
Not everyone will be able to do it. It does take some coordination.

Pick the longer lever...

·
38,104 Posts
What works best is to get all the body's weight on the stand's tang. That provides the most leverage by putting the greatest force between the tang and the seat rail. A straight line from the shoulder in use to the foot in use is the way to get that. When I use the right foot, I can even lift my left foot off the ground, causing my body's full weight to push down on the tang. The tang is the main lever lifting the bike, not the body. Using the left foot requires the right foot to support some of the body's weight which is not available to push down the tang/lever. I tested your method. You try mine. Remember, if it's done correctly, your left foot will support little to no body weight.

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
I've put my Strom on the centerstand with a bare foot. I use my right foot also. A hand on the grab rail, other hand on the left grip, right foot on the tang, one unified motion down up and back, and the bike is effortlessly up on the stand.

Sure, it kinda hurt my poor lil' tender foot a bit, but you really don't even need shoes if your technique is dialed in.

·
38,104 Posts
The left foot method would probably be easier on a bare foot. The leg force is less and the arm force is more.

·
Registered
237 Posts
What works best is to get all the body's weight on the stand's tang. That provides the most leverage by putting the greatest force between the tang and the seat rail. A straight line from the shoulder in use to the foot in use is the way to get that. When I use the right foot, I can even lift my left foot off the ground, causing my body's full weight to push down on the tang. The tang is the main lever lifting the bike, not the body. Using the left foot requires the right foot to support some of the body's weight which is not available to push down the tang/lever. I tested your method. You try mine. Remember, if it's done correctly, your left foot will support little to no body weight.
I wouldn't recommend something that didn't work. I have to lift my fully-loaded Vee when I'm on tour. When you're tired and have to lift your bike to adjust the chain or lube, you go to something you know that works. Just thought I'd pass it along.

·
38,104 Posts
I know it works for you. Be open to the possibility something else may work better. It may not but it doesn't hurt to try. If it feels uncomfortable at any point stop. I tried your way.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I know it works for you. Be open to the possibility something else may work better. It may not but it doesn't hurt to try. If it feels uncomfortable at any point stop. I tried your way.
Whatever gave you the impression I hadn't tried it your way and not found it inferior?

·
38,104 Posts
Whatever gave you the impression I hadn't tried it your way and not found it inferior?
I figured you would have said that if it was the case. If you find left foot easier and have tried both, that's fine as a personal preference. I can understand it especially if you are left footed. I have taught hundreds of riders and find a left foot preference highly unusual.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts