StromTrooper banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,390 Posts
...Nothing worse than pulling into a camping site soaked and in the pouring rain...
Yeah, the only thing worse than setting up camp in the rain is breaking camp in the morning with it pouring down on you. :)
Motels for the win when the weather looks even a little bit iffy.

·
Vendor
6,158 Posts
I've had a couple negative experiences at cheap motels while riding across country. Had a syringe fall out of a folded towel at a Motel 6. At another the lobby was full of people complaining about bed bugs. I paid attention because my legs itched all night.

I really like the national gym association idea for showers since getting a daily work out, stretch, and massage (Planet Fitness- black card, $24.99 a month) would make the trip more enjoyable.

From Planet Fitness: "The PF Black Card® is the membership that loads you with awesome benefits. You can get access to any of our 2000+ locations worldwide, bring a guest every time you work out, use our massage chairs, hydromassage, tanning and more**. We even throw in ½-priced cooler drinks. It's our best deal!"

I have outgrown camping across country (read - old fart), but could see using this when I was younger to save money and make the otherwise un-do-able trip do-able.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Yeah, the only thing worse than setting up camp in the rain is breaking camp in the morning with it pouring down on you. :)
Motels for the win when the weather looks even a little bit iffy.
I like to camp in undeveloped areas, needs a good view too.
Like this one in Nevada

I got beat up by a thunderstorm going across rural Nevada one time. Cut the day short and checked into a motel at the next town. That was a great decision on my part!

·
Registered
4 Posts
So, I’ve been thinking about doing some extended motorcycle trips (here in the US) like several weeks or more, and I am always curious about other peoples experience as it is always enlightening and often times I hear a word of caution that I reflect on when I stumble into the same problems.

I have a sub 10k mile bike, that runs like a top and has been mine since mile 1. It has new tires, Airflow windscreen, shad sh23 sidecases, dryspec d38 tail bag. That i’ve fine tuned with my tent and sleep system etc.

I have done some short several day trips with the above and feel comfortable with the setup I have as far as battery/charging, riding comfort. What i’ve never really needed was anything civilized like showers and the like.

I have heard of Pilot Flying J stops for showers and some fuel and grub. I downloaded the App and was amazed at how many dots were all over the country. But I don't know if I can stay in the parking lot with my bike unless I setup a tarp and cot next to/over the bike. If I need to (and probably will) I will stop at a hotel. But what other alternatives are there? State Parks? Air BnB

I will probably wait until march or so, when it is not frigid.

Thanks!
Baby wipes inside my tent worked well for me on week long 4WD desert expeditions in the Arizona western deserts.

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
There's an app called 'Overlander' which pretty much has everything on it - gas stops, hostels, campgrounds, restaurants, etc.....it's not omniscient, but it's a fine compliment to the usual google maps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been retired for 8 years and have tent camped while on some extended trips with a DL1000. Looking through the comments, looks like I'd just be repeating what's been said. I'll second the free campsite webpage that RichDesmond suggested especially in the Western states Free Camping Near You | Go Camping for Free! What I've done on longer trips is to roughly lay out my route and research possible campsites along the way. That distance can vary considerably depending on roads, conditions, how many stops, how tired I am, so I can never predict where I'll spend the night. I'll agree with most on keeping your gear to a minimum, what that is only you can decide. One luxury I allow myself is a Helinox chair that I've napped on alongside the road many times. You might consider heated grips, they're nice on a mountain pass.
Cloud Sky Tire Plant Automotive tire

·
Registered
106 Posts
Many state parks have showers, so that's what I do. Staying in a truck stop on a bike sounds horrible to me, but each to his own. I do a 10-16 day trip each year somewhere in North America, and I usually find a shower 2-3 nights just in the campgrounds I'm staying in. Many national parks have showers as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So, I’ve been thinking about doing some extended motorcycle trips (here in the US) like several weeks or more, and I am always curious about other peoples experience as it is always enlightening and often times I hear a word of caution that I reflect on when I stumble into the same problems.

I have a sub 10k mile bike, that runs like a top and has been mine since mile 1. It has new tires, Airflow windscreen, shad sh23 sidecases, dryspec d38 tail bag. That i’ve fine tuned with my tent and sleep system etc.

I have done some short several day trips with the above and feel comfortable with the setup I have as far as battery/charging, riding comfort. What i’ve never really needed was anything civilized like showers and the like.

I have heard of Pilot Flying J stops for showers and some fuel and grub. I downloaded the App and was amazed at how many dots were all over the country. But I don't know if I can stay in the parking lot with my bike unless I setup a tarp and cot next to/over the bike. If I need to (and probably will) I will stop at a hotel. But what other alternatives are there? State Parks? Air BnB

Thanks!
I did a 7500 mile roundabout the lower 48 this summer. Stayed at some motels and camped. I carry some light camping gear: single man tent, a couple of pads (I hate camping unless I can sleep comfortably) and a sleeping bag. No cooking gear as that adds too much to the complexity and volume of stuff. Many of the mom and pop restaurants have closed due to the pandemic, but you can still find some and they rate better than the chain franchises. Ride the secondary and tertiary roads. Stop often. Take lots of pictures. Meet the locals. Never, ever, talk politics, even if prompted. Enjoy

·
Registered
344 Posts
What has been said more then once,
but a couple of things;
I like Butler motorcycle maps (kind of pricey but worth it) plastic coated and very detailed.
A first aid kit, REI has several different levels and made for back country so light Weight.
Some simple tool, not going to rebuild a engine out on the road but being able to tighten a
Loose bolt or zip tie something can be really handy.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Thanks!
Hello Dr. Stone,
I am a new rider and has been thinking about a motorbike adventure tour here in Canada and I found a map which shows places where you can have your tent and all the possible amenities you might already know that but just want to give you the web site if you are interested Free Camping Near You | Go Camping for Free! I really like the site because it now only shows free sites but also a lot of reviews, pictures, GPS address etc. check it out ...

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
What i’ve never really needed was anything civilized like showers and the like.

I'm lazy and haven't read the entire thread, so apologies if this has already been mentioned but in addition to the Flying J / truck stop option you can search for improved campgrounds that offer showers. There are also KOA campgrounds all over, most of which offer shower facilities. For truck stops, you could camp normally and plan your next fill-up at a truck stop, shower, then hit the road.

When we go on a week long ride, we plan it so that every other day we camp where there are showers available.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts