StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, only 2 lies so far. I am about to take my new 2013 Glee in for its 600-mile checkup, and in those 600 miles I've noticed that the speedometer is wildly optimistic. Same situation as on my 2002 Triumph Sprint. Are all bikes that way? Is it some evil collaborative plot to con riders into believing they're not actually going fast?

The second lie is the stated mileage on the display. The bike says I've been getting ~57 mpg, but the gas pump/odometer/calculator say I've been getting closer to 47 mpg. Fairly big difference, it seems to me. Is this also common?

One more question: 47 mpg seems to be a bit low. Of course, this is a brand-new bike, and presumably everything is tight in the motor. Should I expect a mileage increase as it loosens up?

·
Administrator
17,397 Posts
I am more curious as to why you are wasting your money and time taking it to a dealer for a 600 mile service? :confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have found that my 2015 shows two miles per hour faster on the speedo than what I am really going using a GPS to check.

It also shows that the MPGs are lower than what I get when I use a calculator at the pump. So if it tells me I got 48 mpg, the calculator says I got 50 mpg.

As far as MPG, I have put over 1100 miles on the bike in the first two weeks of ownership. When I have the side bags on I get about 45mpg, bags off I have gotten as high as 55 mpg. Speed limit in Arizona is 75mph, so the mileage goes up quite a bit when I am taking it easy.

·
Premium Member
3,020 Posts
Speedo's are optimistic by as much as 10%........think of it this way: might save you from getting a speeding ticket?? :thumbup:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Speedo's are optimistic by as much as 10%........think of it this way: might save you from getting a speeding ticket?? :thumbup:
Then again, I know it's lying, so I overcompensate ...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
...not just Suzuki. My Ducati and Honda both read high. In fact Ducati call it out at 7% high in the owners manual and state that it is for safety reasons.
My previous Harley speedo also read high.

It's a conspiracy!!

The next thing you know we'll find out that there was no moon landing.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
...not just Suzuki. My Ducati and Honda both read high. In fact Ducati call it out at 7% high in the owners manual and state that it is for safety reasons.
My previous Harley speedo also read high.

It's a conspiracy!!

The next thing you know we'll find out that there was no moon landing.

Say what? The Ducati manual says it's for safety reasons, really? Not saying I don't believe you...

DOT requires the odometer to read correctly but not the speedo. Typically the odo is directly driven but the speedo is magnetically sensed. So varying strengths of magnetic fields, pickup location, etc. will cause variations between the same model bike.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
It's a CYA by the manuf. to keep from getting sued or wrangled into legal issues if you get a ticket and the speedo said you were going slower than you really were. Better to be high than low by that mindset.

It's weird cause all 4 of my Jeep Cherokees (not exactly known as a precision instrument) read right on the dot with their speedos verified with Radar and GPS readings.

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
It's a CYA by the manuf. to keep from getting sued or wrangled into legal issues if you get a ticket and the speedo said you were going slower than you really were. Better to be high than low by that mindset.

It's weird cause all 4 of my Jeep Cherokees (not exactly known as a precision instrument) read right on the dot with their speedos verified with Radar and GPS readings.
there is a specific European Union regulation that says speedos cannot read under and can read over by a %

I posted a link to the regulation in a previous thread on the subject, someone else can google it this time

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
621 Posts
As far as 57 mpg vs 47 mpg: are you displaying Imperial Gallons instead of US gallons?

..Tom
What Tom said.
In my experience the displayed fuel mileage is quite accurate and consistent, always displays a little worse than my calculator says. If you convert 47 Imp gals to US gals, it comes out at 56.44.:fineprint:

·
Registered
266 Posts
My '07 Harley had no speedo or odo error at all. Every other bike I've owned is off by a bunch (BMW, Yama, Suzi, Kawi)...... I can't remember if the 80's Honda was off or not but the '03 was 3mph over across the dial.

Years ago there used to be a guy in every decent size town who took speedo's apart and put in the correct drive gear. Now it's do it yourself or do without

·
Registered
40 Posts
Say what? The Ducati manual says it's for safety reasons, really? Not saying I don't believe you...

DOT requires the odometer to read correctly but not the speedo. Typically the odo is directly driven but the speedo is magnetically sensed. So varying strengths of magnetic fields, pickup location, etc. will cause variations between the same model bike.
Ah, so I just snapped a picture of the manual and was wrong on two counts.

They call out a 5% error. Maybe done in software?
No mention of safety. Not sure where I got that from (prob a forum).

Don't you love the way it tops out at 186mph - Arghhhh!

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
I decided to install a bicycle computer vs. a Speedo Healer as my understanding is the Speedo Healer will make the odometer inaccurate. A bike computer will set you back $20. The trick is getting a magnet in the wheel for pickup. I bought 3/8inch high strength magnets at Rockler woodworking in Tukwila, WA. I'm using steel epoxy to set them in the hole under the rotor. The mag pickup is ziptied to the fork. I've used bike computers before and they are very accurate.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
I decided to install a bicycle computer vs. a Speedo Healer as my understanding is the Speedo Healer will make the odometer inaccurate. A bike computer will set you back $20. The trick is getting a magnet in the wheel for pickup. I bought 3/8inch high strength magnets at Rockler woodworking in Tukwila, WA. I'm using steel epoxy to set them in the hole under the rotor. The mag pickup is ziptied to the fork. I've used bike computers before and they are very accurate.
I too use a speedo drd and a bicycle computer since you can't correct both the odo and speedometer at the same time. And with a change in gearing it becomes way off.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts